Hi all Im new

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Naomi

Hi all Im new

Post by Naomi »

Hi All,

Im new here, my name is Naomi and I am from Scotland in the UK I have a 14 month old Standard Poodle (silver) her name is Pepper, we are just getting into obedience training and trying out clicker training alough I am new to clicker training and don't really know what I am doing with it.

I took Pepper to her first obedience class tonight and got promoted up to the next group all ready, so next week we will be doing harder stuff and hopefully doing it okay.

Naomi
wvvdiup1

Hi I'm New...

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hi Naomi!

Welcome aboard! I joined a couple of months ago and find this site interesting. You should learn a lot on this site.

I have a German Shepherd mix and she is very sweet and intelligent. She is well trained, if that term really applies, because I find I can train a dog something else if I want or need to. So far, she's watched me feed the cats and now she brings their dishes to me. That's nice because that saves me a few steps, however, she hasn't had to bring me her dish, because everyone else in my family likes to keep feeding her! Now I have to train them so that I don't have a fat dog!

Again, welcome aboard!

wvvdiup1
spydre

Post by spydre »

Welcome! I'm new here too - just a month, but I love it here.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

Hi Guys thanks for your welcome, do you clicker train your dogs?
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

I did some clicker training with my AB Ethel... she is quite clever and picked it up straight away, but I also have a Bullie, and he is as thick as pig poop.... he still hasn't got the hang of it. lol. The obedience class should help you along with the clicker anyway, so dont worry too much.

I'm sure your poodle will do better than my meat head, so best of luck with it, and hope the classes go well.

Welcome to the board by the way :)
wvvdiup1

Hi all I'm new

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Have you ever watched any shows in which riders make clicking noises to make their horses go? I've tried that with my dog and it works! At first you might get that "dumb look" that dogs give, however, they catch on very quickly, so try that.

wvvdiup1
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Standard Poodles are very smart and your dog should do well in class. You might want to talk to the trainer about the progression of training.
They might want you to start with the basics, get them down solid and then move on to more advanced training. I love taking my posse through obedience regardless that I have been doing it for so many years. I always learn something new in the advance class. And that each of my dogs are different in personality so if one thing does not work for one of them I can try something else. Mostly with them if I teach Maia they watch and do what she does. She is second to me in the pack so it works out well especially when it came to toilet training, all I had to do was get the puppy out to the yard and she took over the training.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

Pepper my Poodle is very good in class she does all the lessons very well but as soon as shes outside in the open she turns wild and finds it really hard to concentrate properly on what I am asking her to do, she tends to get hype with a capatil H lol, ask her to heal and she jumps up at you like a kangeroo full of excitment saying look mum Im healing, she don't seem to understand that heal actually means walk beside me with ALL 4 feat on the ground lol. but shes only one so pleantly of time to learn I guess
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I just read your post again and was reminded that your pup is only 14 months old, he still has puppy brains. I think the reason he goes physco puppy after class is because he had to focus on what he was doing and now after class he just wants to play. I remembered this from Class with Kai, my physco puppy. I arranged with some other class members for play time after class to work off the energy and have a quiet remainder of the day for me. If I couldn't get play time I took him to the off leash park to wear him out. Not to say that he grew out of physco puppy but as he gets older he is more focused with what I ask him to do. At the off leash all he wants to do is chase another dog or go after a ball. I would love to have one of thoes tennis ball launchers. My arm would be saved.
The best days are spent with my dogs.