Cratin

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

tina prince

Cratin

Post by tina prince »

Hi I would really really like to know being british and now working in america what victoria thinks of crating dogs - I dont agree with it at all and think that it stresses a dog and she believes dogs can die earlier in years due to stress and i would love her input as to crating i think its a discussing to do and dont see why dogs are put into small cages where they can not even move around. Why not use a bathroom or kitchen instead what is wrong with americans and this crating why is it so popular and why do they claim they love their pets and they are part of the family - would you stick a family member in a cage ????? Victoria if your out there please help me understand this and do you think its right.

Tina Prince
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

No clue what Victoria's point of view on this is, But I am american and can you tell you why I do it...

Kennel training a dog allows them to have their own space, that is for no one else. Dogs are "den animals" and kennels/crates mimic a den for them. It's similar to a bed or a bedroom for you. It'll give them a quiet and relaxing place to run off to if they want to be alone.

It also helps a great deal in potty training. A dog won't potty in their bed (If it's the right size). As to the size of the kennel, it's suppose to be just enough room for them to stand up, stretch a bit and turn around. So when you come home, you take them straight out to potty, and never give them the chance to potty in the house. Most people tell you to set your dog up for success... This is part of that. It's not allowing the dog to have the chance to soil in the house.

It will also keep a puppy from chewing on your house. Even with putting them in the bathroom or kitchen they can still find stuff the chew on. Like the wall? or the baseboards? In my mind it's like putting a baby in a crib. It keeps the baby safe and it keeps your house safe for the baby roaming around and knocking stuff over. This does the same thing, the puppy/dog will stay by not being able to chew on cords, wires, rugs, ect that can get stuck or electrocute them.

Most dogs end up lovely their kennel. My dad has a yellow lab (Jake) and he'll go in there multiple times throughout the day just to get away from everything else. He'll lay in there when we walk into the room as well. He loves it! That's his place and no one else's. My new puppy Gunner had to stay at my parents house with me the first night that I got him and we put him in Jake's kennel, because Gunner kennel was at my house. Jake was VERY confused as to why another dog was in his kennel. Jake doesn't even sleep in his kennel at night, but he certainly did not like another dog in there. That's his place and another dog shouldnt be in there. If done right the dog will realize it's not a bad place to be and won't be stressed while in there.

We tried not kenneling Jake when we first got him, but ended up having to replace about 3 sets of blinds, because he wants to look out the window.

My sister has a yorkie/chihuahua mix and she puts her in the bathroom. She ended up tearing up their shower curtain and toliet paper. My sister put a peepad in the bathroom so the dog wouldnt go to the bathroom on the floor, and now she doesn't pee on grass actually. My sister is going to have to completely re-potty train her.

In my opinion a bathroom and kitchen are not safe places for a dog to stay in. I know in my house, most of my cleaning supplies are in the kitchen and some in the bathroom. If my puppy were to get into those cabinets that wouldn't be too good. Yes I could buy baby locks to put on ALL of the cabinets in my kitchen or bathroom. But it would cost more if I did put him in the kitchen or bathroom, because I would then have to continuely buy peepads and then the locks on the doors. Needless to say... it's MUCH safer for my puppy to stay in his kennel while I'm gone.

In short the good points on kennel training are...

- easier to potty train
- safe haven for the dog
- safer in general for the dog

I know victoria did a show where a few weimaraners were kenneled. One was during the day so he didn't get into the cabinets and get the peanutbutter, and they were all done at night I believe. Victoria never showed an digression against the kennels, although she helped them train the dog not to get in the cabinets. But she has done multiple shows where there were dogs kenneled and she's never said anything on the lines that she doesn't agree with it.

I'm kenneling my 7wk puppy right now and the only time that he seems stressed is when I first put him in there. And the time on that has gone down alot since I first got him a week ago. Other than when I first put him in there, and when I take him out, he's normally sleeping the rest of the time. I've walked in a time or two and if he wasn't asleep he was busy chewing on a toy, and he was certainly not stressed.
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

To clear myself up a little. The shows that I have noticed that she has dealt with kenneled dogs is on "Its Me or The Dog"

I haven't had tv in a LONG time so I haven't see the Greatest American Dog.
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

like anyother tool it depends on how a crate is used.

One of my dogs Joe, wasn't brought up to use a crate, 13 years ago I hadn't heard of them but when I got Gracie 5 years ago I needed a crate because she wanted to kill Joe. It took several months of one dog in the crate and one out before they became friends and the crate wasn't needed.

Joe decided that the crate was needed, he needed it to sleep in. Joe has brain damage and is really happy in his crate although the door is never closed. He curls up at the back and sleeps much better than when not in the crate. He is out of the way of my2 youngsters so does't get knocked by them and is happy and content in there.

Ellie my Staffy, hates crates and will destroy them if you try to put her in one, she is so bad that when in the vets they had to take her out of one of their kennels.

A lot depends on the dog and how the crate is introduced, for dogs that chew when you are not in they are safer in a crate you could come back to a seriously hurt or even dead dog.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

I started crate training when Belgian first walked through my door. He has never been stressed out in it and prefers to be in it. He no longer needs it but if I bring it back out, he is more then happy to sleep in it. I never even close the door. He just walks in and goes to sleep. Recently I used his kennel when I took him to a relatives house. The kennel helped relax him in the unfamiliar surroundings and he would go straight to it if he was left in the house alone (he was not locked inside. We left the kennel door openand heuld walk in as he pleased) or during bedtime.

Belgian has had nothing but positive experiences with the crate and I have never used it to contain him for long periods of time. It was also never used as a punishment. I think that crates have a great purpose and for many dogs it can be used as their own form of security. However, I also believe that crating must be enjoyable for the dog and it should never be used as a form of punishment or to hold a dog for many hours of the day.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood