What is your best "ah that is so cute" story?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MaiasMom

What is your best "ah that is so cute" story?

Post by MaiasMom »

I always like to hear cute stories about something someone's pet did. Here is mine. Maia is now almost 4 years old and one of the smartest dogs that has ever agreed to live with me. I grew up on a ranch with Borders who we all know are very smart. My Ah story is this. When Maia was about a year old I would take her to work with me and walk her on our lunch hour around town. Maia knows things, she can look at someone and know if they are good or need to be really watched. Sit behind me at the cash machine on her own. One day we were on our walk and she spotted a man in a wheel chair across the street. It was all that I could do to hold her back, she is 62 pounds of real gal muscle, normally she would wait until I tell her it's ok to go, she was on a leash of course. Anyway the light turns green for us to cross the street and she pulled me across the street and up to this man in the wheel chair. This is the part that really gets me, Maia will only put her head on the knee of someone she knows and likes. She went right up to this man, put her head on his knee and let him pet her. Not a normal Maia thing. It was then that I realized that not only was this man in a wheel chair but he was developmentally disabled. She saw that from across a 4 lane street. She is like this with children and disabled people. It just blew me away. We use to have to go into the court house and she would see men in jail jumpsuits and handcuffs and put herself between me and them ears up and never took her gaze off them for a second. I am a bit disabled myself. So tell me your "ah that is so cute" story
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

Christmas Eve 2007 when one of my ewes gave birth to tripplets and rejected one of them, we brought him in to the house to rear by hand placed him in a dog bed in front of the fire and my youngest Dobermann ***** climbed in with him, she took on the roll of his mummy, the only thing we had to do was feed him she done the rest.

Bilclarie
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]
shelby

Post by shelby »

Bilclarie[/quote]

Oh my gosh that is too cute.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, when my son had a birthday, my step-mom, my brother (he's only 10, younger than my own kids-- don't ask), and one of my sisters came over for cake and ice cream. Annie was making rounds from person to person, collecting the loves as much as anyone was willing to lather it on. At one point, she had come to me, with her backside facing my brother, so she could not see him. He reached out to pet her on the rump, and inadvertently startled her. We all realized this as she suddenly gave a little start.... You should have seen the look of fear in my brother's eyes when he realized his mistake! But that fear melted into a sigh of relief when Annie simply turned and kissed him gently on the nose. There was a collective "aah" at that moment.

There is another... a few years ago, we took Annie with us to the city park for a community Easter celebration. We were just standing around, watching the festivities, when I happened to look down, and there was a small boy, about two or three years old, with his arms wrapped around Annie, and rubbing his cheek in her withers! We had not even seen this child approach, but evidently Annie didn't mind... her only reaction was to wash his face for him after he looked up at us. Having this strange little child come up and wrap his arms around her didn't phase her in the least.
Paul&Muttley

Post by Paul&Muttley »

Some time ago I was walking Muttley on my 2.5 acre property when some neighbor kids came up to us through the woods with their small spaniel type dog, off-leash but not aggressive. Muttley was friendly toward them, and at one point gave their dog a big schlurp with his tongue. The young boy smiled and said, "Hey, your dog just licked my dog". I should have said, "He's just practicing first aid. That was the 'Hind-Lick' maneuver!" :lol:

Adapted from a joke, but Muttley did lick the dog... :wink:
spydre

Post by spydre »

I was just out with Dodger maybe a half an hour ago. A man was walking along the alley - the dog had lunged for our driveway, and the man walking him brought him up pretty hard and the leash. Well, Dodger saw the dog, came flying across the yard, and stood at the corner of the fence with this idiot grin on his face, tongue lolling to the side, like he was saying, "Oh, a new doggie friend!" He whined when he couldn't see the dog anymore.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
vanheerden100

Post by vanheerden100 »

Ok this is super cute, (but hard to explain) my 15mnth Wire fox terrier jumps like a lamb on all four legs at once when she is running up to play with other dogs.

She jumps and wiggles her behind to wag her tail whilst jumping, i have never seen another dog do this, and other dog owners constantly comment. Does anyone elses dog behave like a cute lamb?
wvvdiup1

What is your best "ah that is cute" story?

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Some years ago, not that long ago, I had a Border Collie/mix dog named Della. While I was living near the university I attended, I had this apartment that allowed pets, so I brought Della with me. One day, I tied Della outside and rode with a friend of mine to school. Two hours later, while I was in my English class, there was this knock on the door and my professor opened it to see who was there. She didn't see anyone but my dog came right into the classroom, got upon the desk beside me with her butt on the seat and her one paw up on the desk! To this day, I don't know how she got loose, manage to cross all the busy streets without getting hit, find the building and classroom I was located. Nonetheless, I remember saying while my classmates were laughing, "If we're having a test, give mine to her!"

wvvdiup1
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

:shock: WOW! That was one smart dog! :shock:
wvvdiup1

What is your best "ah that is cute" story?

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Yes, and it was too bad Indiana University of Pennsylvania didn't give out degrees to dogs! :D

wvvdiup1
spydre

Post by spydre »

I don't know if I would count it as oh so cute, but had to relate this.

We have a plumbing problem. So my father in law called and said he'd be over shortly, and that a plumber would be over shortly after that. Hubby wouldn't let me get control of Dodger before his dad came in, so Dodger was jumping on my father in law. I got him under control - my father in law and husband were going to take an old chair out to the curb for garbage collecting. Then the plumber got here. Again, hubby would not let me get the dog under control, just yanked on Dodger's collar and pulled him back.

Now, Dodger is afraid of men he doesn't know. I got Dodger I thought under control in the living room, then he followed all the men into the kitchen, and starts barking at the plumber. Hubby puts him out in the back yard, and I go out with him. The dog started calming down, so I asked hubby for the leash so I can bring the dog in. I took the dog around to the front of the house (and Dodger ran away from the plumber's van parked in the driveway) and took him in, straight to the living room. Got him settled down, and he was laying on the couch. After a certain point in time, I took the leash off of him and he was fine. Hubby started talking louder, and Dodger decided to see what's going on. It had been long enough that I was sure Dodger would be calm. He was - as long as he had room to get away from the plumber. He'd walk over, lean on my father in law for a minute, then sniff the plumber's leg. Then run back to me and my husband and hide. This went on completely until it was time for the plumber to leave. Dodger was following the plumber to the door when the plumber stopped and gave Dodger his hand to sniff (in the front hallway - steps on one side, wall on the other). Dodger didn't like that and immediately started barking, so I got him back to the living room.

What I thought was so cute, was his reactions in the kitchen - you could clearly see how he's afraid of men that he hasn't met outside, and while I was in the living room with him, he was perfectly content to stay on the couch with me.

On the flip side, my shower is down until we get this plumbing situation fixed, so we are showering at my in law's house.
manda.sue

Post by manda.sue »

My story happened when Bjorn was just five months old. At the time, my husband's mom had become very ill with breast cancer and her husband, a scrub nurse, had to work the overnight. Since she absolutely adored my dog, my husband and I volunteered to stay with her in case she needed anything. Now, I work early mornings so I got cuddled up on one couch around 9:30 while they were still awake.

My dog, being a very curious pup, kept harrassing her not quite dog friendly cat wanting to play. Well, I guess the cat had had enough so she hissed and lunged at my dog telling him to back off. Being half-asleep, imagine my surprise when Bjorn hurdled the arm of the couch and tunneled under my blanket in between my belly and the back of the couch in a span of seconds. Can I just say that my mother-in-law went from being sickly-yellow to pinker than a rose? :lol:
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

Bailey, our late Border Collie, was one of those scary smart dogs. When I went to visit some friends he took to barking at my husband non stop, my husband retaliated by buying one of those collars that delivers a shock when a dog barks.

When I came home, I took the collar off and tossed it (and believe me, the husband got an earful for more than a few days afterwards!) He, being a frugal gadget guy retrieved the collar from the trash and stashed it in a junk drawer.

About 3 months later, I was in the hospital with our newborn daughter and Matt went home to get some rest. Bailey (creature of habit that he was) started demanding a walk. My husband ignored him. A bit later Bailey brought in the collar, dropped it on my husbands chest and barked.

Cute story #2, when we first got Greta she was terrified of thunderstorms and would literally go hunker down in my closet or under my bed (quite a feat for an 18 month old Great Dane) but one night in the middle of this cracking and booming storm she insisted on going out. So I let her out and followed her to the side of the house, she ripped the cover off of the crawl space and ran in under the house!

I figured that I'd have to go get her so I went for a flash light and she appears right behind me with this little pink thing in her mouth, she runs to the closet and drops it in there and heads back outside. Four more times she goes under the house, comes out with some weird pink object and leaves it in the closet. The fifth time she comes out she has a big white ball with a tail!

So I follow her back into the bedroom and there she is curled up with a momma possum and four pink babies in the closet. The next day the crawlspace was completely flooded, I have no idea how she knew that would happen or that a little family needed to be saved from it but she did.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Wendy M. I may never fully understand how dogs know things and perhaps I never will all I know is that they do and for me that is something I am always thankful for. So what did you do with the opposum?
The best days are spent with my dogs.
spydre

Post by spydre »

Speaking of thunder storms - we don't allow Dodger to sleep on our bed as he's just too big. Well, last night, huge clap of thunder hit, and the next thing I know, (I was half asleep, so it didn't quite register at the time), Dodger is up on the bed between us, lying tight up against my legs. Poor thing got scared. Only bad part is that when hubby's alarm went off this morning, it scared Dodger, and Dodger ended up jumping on hubby's chest.