The new White House dog

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

The new White House dog

Post by Noobs »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/1 ... 86906.html

Here's video footage of the First Family introducing their new dog to the press. I posted here because I am pleased that I could hear Barack Obama saying the words "positive reinforcement" somewhere in the video. Also you can see Malia Obama giving the dog the "sit" hand signal - it took him a few times to get it, but when he did they gave him lots of praise. I'm sure the dog was overwhelmed so couldn't focus on the commands but kudos to the kids for trying anyway. The dog was reportedly trained by a trainer who uses positive methods.
horsefreak88

Post by horsefreak88 »

Cute pup! Maybe he'll teach Obama a thing or two :lol:
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

I'm quite sure the past presidents dogs tought the presidents a thing or two.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

LOL: Can you imagine what the world would be like if our respective countries were actually governed by dogs? Oh my. But then, that might solve our health care crisis.
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

Fundog wrote:LOL: Can you imagine what the world would be like if our respective countries were actually governed by dogs? Oh my. But then, that might solve our health care crisis.
I honestly think we would be doing the same thing we are now, picking up poop :lol: Maybe we'll get poked and Tssed at by our dogs :shock:

But have you ever wondered if Obama told everyone to throw out their Prong Collars and choke chains so many people would fallow and we would have less people using them. Maybe its just wishful thinking but that would be great.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Kittylove5 wrote:But have you ever wondered if Obama told everyone to throw out their Prong Collars and choke chains so many people would fallow and we would have less people using them. Maybe its just wishful thinking but that would be great.
I'm hoping the Obama girls become ambassadors for responsible dog ownership. They are young and have a dog that was trained with positive methods; hopefully that will translate to their growing up encouraging other kids who wish to emulate them to do the same.

My worry is that there will be a surge in people wanting Portugese Water Dogs and then have a bunch of unprepared owners, like what happens every time a dog becomes famous (the terrier on "Frasier", "101 Dalmations", etc.).
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria has posted a comment about Bo Obama here:

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/2009-04-16-obama-dog
BoardHost
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Noobs, I hear you there, I can't tell you how often I find people who get a dog because it is "cool looking" and don't have clue one about what this dog is bred for or what to do with it. Given the issues with allergies I think this was a good choice for the family. The dog won't lack for attention, space to run, people to walk it or care and if I remember correctly is there not a swiming pool in the White house? Any water dogs dream.
The best days are spent with my dogs.