Support dog shows and breeders?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Was the breeder even asked to take one back?

Though I do find it suspicious that any sensible breeder would sell two ***** pups to the same household at the same time... it has to be said MUCH of the time when people decide they cant cope and wish to return a pup, they dont contact the breeder at all.

Whether thats because the breeder wouldnt entertain the idea, or because the owner doesnt want to lose face... who can say. I have heard recently of one breeder who was in regular contact wth the pups owners and eventually discovered that they had sold the pup on and been lying to her for six months!!!!
Pawzk9

Post by Pawzk9 »

MaiasMom wrote:Here in the US we don't have many restrictions on breeding, anyone with a dog can breed and that has made for some horror stories like the one that happened near where I live. Over 600 dogs were taken from a woman and her daugther because they were being kept in small cages without even the most basic care. They were just living from one litter of puppies to the next. 15 females gave birth shortly after they were taken.

<snip>
Because we have few laws that govern breeders and to avoid a protracted court battle, a deal was made with these terrible people. They would not be face a court trial, no fines and could not operate a puppy mill IN the County (district) of jurate. They can move their operation to another county(district) and start all over again. This really upsets me because within 6 months they can be in the same situation with cages and cages of dogs breeding more puppies. For me it is not enough that the dogs were removed and that these people can not operate another puppy mill in my county. I would like to see them be unable to operate a puppy mill any where in my state. That won't happen, it is considered a Civil action and can only take place in the County( jurisdiction) where the offense occured..
Actually, there ARE laws which would address this situation. But, like many criminals, there are people who fly under the radar. Almost every locality has animal cruelty laws, and a breeder with 600 dogs would surely be required to meet USDA standards and inspections. The fact that they WERE busted, means that they were violating laws. The fact that they were not more heavily proscecuted may mean that the authorities were sloppy or over zealous and didn't document (or the judge was not impressed by their evidence, or doesn't take animal welfare seriously)
MaiasMom wrote:There are not enough resources to hire more inspectors. Our county is the largest in Washington State and only a few inspectors to cover. They do not make spot inspections and only respond if they get enough complaints. In this case it took a year of complaints and warnings before action was taken..
This is the crux of the issue. Current laws are frequently not enforced, not that we need more regulation though, USDA inspectors are federally funded. My state is currently looking at legislation that - if it passes - will make me quit rescuing. I only foster and place a few dogs a year. But I'm part of a national organization, and the law would group that organization - and a lot of hobby/show breeders who sell, give away or otherwise transfer 35 dogs a year to be licensed, subject to USDA regulation (that means a kennel, specific surfaces, etc.) and subject to unannounced inspections (and in many states hardcore Animal Rights people have gotten themselves the positions of inspectors). If they find something as innocent as a pile of poo that hasn't been picked up yet, they can confiscate your dogs. I want to continue to help homeless dogs, but since I don't always follow my dogs around with a pooper scooper, and sometimes it may get picked up the next day, and because I'm not going to build a kennel for the rescue dogs - a big part of working with them is teaching them to be a HOUSE pet - I am not going to put myself in a position to be subject to this law. By the way, 35 dogs a year could be as few as three litters for some breeds. Or a couple of litters and a few rescue dogs. If you co-own dogs, their offspring are also included, even if you didn't breed the litter. The people who will be effected are not, for the most part, commercial kennels - who already are required to meet USDA specs. It will be the smaller, responsible breeder and rescuers. Laws like this are popping up all over the country, backed by H$U$ and PeTA, and aimed at their philosophy of "one generation and out."
We need to really look at new laws, and whether they will actually do the things we are told they will do, and target the substandard breeders you want to target. Because the people promoting them aren't really fans of pets. And we'd do better to fund the laws we already have, and press for appropriate penalties where they are really deserved.
Sandy in OK
www.positivelycanine.com
LIRAY

dog shows

Post by LIRAY »

A while back i posted but noticed it was not listed.
i saw that someone got upset about the breed ring
We show in the conformation ring, springers, english cockers and in the past AM cockers but show all breeds, i started in the herding group and hounds.

everyone needs to understand that you need to have a positive mind set because it goes right down the lead.

if anyone has any questions please ask i would be more then happy to help if you do not understand something about the show ring

Lisa and Ray - LIRAY Kennels
Lisa and Ray
LIRAY Kennels
we have been breeding springers for 15 years, we have 4 springers who are 7 years to 12 years of age, two english cockers, 2 years old and 5 months old and AM Cocker who is 6 years old, all dogs live and raised in home.
melhos123

Post by melhos123 »

PLEASE READ

Hi,

I'm sorry but I am going to have to WHOLE HEARTEDLY disagree with doing away with groups like the AKC. These people LOVE their breeds.

These dogs are not only bred for looks, but temperament as well. If we hadn't decided to breed dogs in a certain way, we would have never domesticated K-9's in the first place. The difference between thousands of years of selective breeding and letting nature rule animal's make-up is the difference between a dog and a wolf. And yes, some people like to keep exotic pets like wolves, but they are often unpredictable and take a very specialized skill set to raise as pets.

I'm really saddened that there aren't more people defending the AKC here. Who do you think is on the first line of defending against puppy mills? Breed clubs are communities where mills are not tolerated. They can also refer you to breeders who care about their pets and where you can receive a quality, socialized, healthy pet.

AKC breeders try and eliminate health problems like pugs with breathing problems through genetic testing. Backyard breeders don't have anything near the expertise that experienced breeders have and the very worst of them only care about profit.

Victoria touches briefly on this in the episode with the couple that has the poorly bred weimeriner. It's poor breeding led to behavior problems, not just health problems.

I'm not saying that Breed Confirmation clubs have it perfect, however, they truly care about animals and put careful planning into which dogs are bred. And there is care to make sure that inbreeding doesn't happen. Inbreeding destabilizes the genes of a line, and therefore goes totally against what a good breeder is trying to do by improving the breed.

I know this is long but PLEASE READ! I don't show, but every humane thing I know about dogs comes from a grandma who was a dog show judge and breeder. Also, non-papered dogs can get partial AKC registration and participate in many competitions mixed or not. Please look in to this before deciding that clubs are too snooty to let their dogs mingle with yours....

I don't mean to offend anyone by this, but the kennel clubs have been the first and foremost(and oldest) advocates for dogs. I'm sorry if you disagree, but if you have any questions, I would be more than willing to help you navigate the ropes of the AKC. (Sorry I'm not familiar with the UKC, so I can't be of much help there). :)
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I like dog shows. I like them because you have an opportunity to see what good training and good breeding can accomplish. I have had dogs my entire life and do well at training my dogs BUT I always learn something new about training or grooming each time I go. It also gives new dog owners a really good idea of what the breeds were bred to do. Often it excites people to get their pet into agility, good for the dog, good for the owner and family. Not to say that a mix breed dog can't do these things, they can and do. My issues come with the puppy mill breeders and the "backyard" breeders who have no clue to the problems many pure bred dogs have. If I have any issue with AKC is that in many cases they demand that certain breeds have cropped ears and docked tails or be a certain size. My 3 have natural ears, 2 had tails docked at 3 days old, not my choice and 1, their son I left him as nature intended, natural ears and tail. I don't know the reason AKC demands cropped ears and docked tails and if someone knows the reason I would like to hear it. I don't show my posse, their job is to just be my dogs and let me enjoy watching them.
The best days are spent with my dogs.