Overheard at the Dogpark...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Our woods ech with CM's funny noise :roll: where a year or two ago they echoed with dog-whistles. TV programmes make everyone an instant trainer - and these helpful people do not hesitate to try this marvellous method that they have been warned not to try at the beginning of the programme. Heyho, that's people.

We can agree to disagree - that is what discussion is all about :wink: Heaven help anyone who tried to poke my dog. Or me.

But that might be cultural too - here in UK touching by strangers is the height of bad manners and bordering on assault. That would extend to my dog too. But regardless of culture - touching a strange dog and making a funny noise at it is very stupid.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Paul&Muttley wrote:I am still trying to understand the principles of positive only training as compared to what I consider a more balanced approach of having immediate consequences for behaviors.
Positive training does have immediate consequences if it is done properly but mainly it is setting the dog up to succeed and not fail. If my dog is outside and I call her in, she doesn't come, I walk in and close the door, the dog is ignored and left on her own. Very few dogs won't come racing to the door when you do this, dogs don't like being ignored like this. I open the door and as she starts to walk in I give the command, she has then done as I asked so is rewarded. Next time I call her in from outside she comes right away. This has worked with every dog I have had, all are rescues and most came with problems caused by abuse of some sort.

The consequences of her ignoring my command to come in was she was ignored which she didn't like.

The reward was when she came into the house. She has learnt that when I call I expect her in straight away without being poked or other method that will cause pain even if it is instant.

I don't consider a quick physical block or "poke" as being abusive or capable of causing lasting physical or emotional trauma.
Nobody has suggested that blocking is abusive, blocking is standing in front of a dog to stop him going forward, no pain involved. Poking hurts and can hurt a lot, if it hurts it is abuse. If someone poked you what would your reaction be?

A dog, or a person, usually interacts with the environment by offering behaviors, and then learning from the consequences, which may be good or bad. One may hope that all behaviors offered are "good", but that metric is defined by society and the situation. I would rather have a dog who is not totally dependent on me to control and direct his behavior, and instead feels free to offer some behaviors on his own. That might be vital in a situation where I might not be present, or able to provide guidance.
I think you have the wrong idea of positive training Paul, all my dogs develop independence, one of the reasons I don't do obedience is I like my dogs independent and not like a machine. I have a lot of fun with the way my dogs behave and interact because they are not frightened to interact with each other or humans. My dogs are all free to ask for a cuddle and know they won't be pushed away no matter how busy I am. If I am busy they just get a tickle, a smile and kind word before I carry on doing what I was, my dogs are happy with this but if I am not busy, they get the full works, again they are happy.

Several of my dogs have been abused and came with all the usual problems, the would race to the furthest corner if anyone spoke in a loud voice, raised a hand etc, now they are confident dogs that know they are safe and nothing nasty will happen to them. They are free to express themselves in any way they want.

I don't see where a simple "poke", or hand block, along with a quick "Tsst" to mark the undesired behavior, is any more cruel or abusive as blocking the dog with ones body or withdrawing attention. It seems as reasonable and effective to provide a quick "correction" to stop a behavior, as touching a hot stove is a good deterrent to repeating the behavior. Of course, if it scares you so much that you fear the stove and never learn to cook, that is a neurotic overreaction that needs to be dealt with.
Blocking a dog with your body doesn't hurt your dog, poking them does. Anyone can learn by fear which poking does. We are not dogs, we don't think like dogs but like us dogs feel pain. How would you feel if your teacher poked you ever time you didn't do what you should have done? You would have still learnt but not as willingly and been resentful of your teacher. You wouldn't have the same inclination to do what your teacher wanted you to either which would make school a lot more difficult for you.

In the natural world in which dogs evolved, there are always both positive and negative consequences to any action. One may learn by means of training to do "good" things and not do "bad" things, and sometimes the consequences of a "bad" behavior may be so extreme that a lesser aversive correction may be much preferred to the more dangerous consequence of something that is done without knowledge of what will happen.

For instance, a shock collar is often dismissed arbitrarily as being obviously cruel and inhumane. Yet the actual stimulus is not so much painful as it is surprising, and even at higher levels it does not do any lasting physical damage.
Having seen the result of a dog that continually had a shock collar used on the high levels it does do a lot of mental harm to a dog. This was a GSD, beautiful dog, he was eventually given to the army because he became aggressive out of fear of the collar and put one of the senior dog trainers in hospital, they had to dart this dog to calm him down then pts him so don't tell me that shock collars don't do any harm, this was a lovely, 1 year old dog when I first saw him.

I saw an example of appropriate use for teaching a dog to avoid a rattlesnake. One dog who did not understand the danger poked his nose into some bushes and ignored the rattler's warnings, and attacked, killing the snake but getting multiple bites that eventually proved fatal. Some dogs naturally and instinctively avoid snakes. Perhaps a dog could be exposed to snakes and clicker trained to avoid them. But a few quick applications of a shock collar when a dog showed too much interest in a snake can very quickly condition the dog to avoid any contact, and even alert his owner to the presence of a snake.
Dogs were trained to ignore rattle snakes before shock collars were invented, if it could be done then it can be done now. Clicker training wasn't know then either.

A well known shock collar trainer was in a discussion when I said it had taken me 4 years to find the key to Joe coming back to be because he had been beaten, he told me that with a shock collar I could have had a 95% recall within 14 days. He shut up when I told him with a clicker it took me 10 days to get a 99% recall from Joe once I discovered clickers. :lol:

Certainly, physical punishment and excessive forceful corrections have been way overdone in dog training, as I will attest in my own unsuccessful training classes with Muttley at the hands of a so-called professional trainer. And I am convinced that positive methods are almost always the best. But I think there are times when a more direct negative feedback may be more effective than trying to avoid what seems obvious in stopping unwanted behavior. Particularly, I think the advice to the person whose dog continued to bite her in the butt when she turned around was "over the top". Telling someone to wear three pair of pants and thick sweaters so her biting dog would not cause damage and pain seems ridiculous.

Now THAT says it all!
I used to have a Whippet/Labrador that had taught herself to go for walks because her previous owner didn't take her, she also taught herself to catch and kill rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, voles etc and was the perfect killing machine she was so quick the animal was dead as soon as she bit it in the neck, she always killed by biting the neck. She was a dog that had learnt to hunt without any control. It wasn't easy and it took time and patience but I did get her so she was 100% being recalled once she started the chase. In those days I knew a lot less about dog training than I do now, I had never heard of a clicker or a shock collar, I refused to put a choke chain on because I didn't like them yet I was able to train her to this standard without the use of any aversions.

If I can do it so can everyone else. Not only do I have well trained dogs but I also have a very strong bond with my dogs, people who use aversions, even small ones, don't have the bonding I have and neither do you. You will never get the strong bond I have while you use aversions. None of my dogs are trained to attack or protect but I know that they will because they have. An army trainer once told me that the difference in using positive methods or aversions with dogs is if you use positive methods they dog will protect you by putting his life for yours, use averisions like shock collars and the dog will look after himself first and leave you to face the concequences. This trainer was very experienced and dogs he trained were abroad with our army doing a good job.

It takes time and patience to build up a strong bond and trust with your dog, that can disappear in seconds if you hurt him/her.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
scbelle

Post by scbelle »

I'm sorry, muddyfloors, but you have not read my posts correctly. I did warn the woman, Katie was attempting to jump, SHE APPROACHED KATIE, I did not approach her. Her manner told me she did not mind this when she leaned over to pat my dog. AFTER she touched Katie, while I was holding her back from jumping, she poked her.

And as I stated before, this happened in about 60 seconds. Not exactly enough time to debate CM vs VS.

Furthermore, I never said I walked off in a huff. I left politely and continued on the walk.

I thank all of you who have replied with positive suggestions. I did not intend to start such a tiff. I will leave this thread alone for now.
One husband, two kids, two cats, two gerbils, one dog, one me....FULL HOUSE!!
Dogwoodblossom

Post by Dogwoodblossom »

It doesn't strictly pertain to dog training, but I've found Karen Pryor's book, "Don't Shoot the Dog" http://www.clickertraining.com/store/?item=doshdoau be kind of life changing, dorky as that sounds.

It's about the origins of clicker training, and how we learn. For some reason people think that the learning strategies that we apply to dogs and dolphins and pigeons and whatever won't work on we lofty humans, but we learn in exactly the same ways. In the book Pryor talks about how she has extended the principles of positive reenforcement to her everyday interactions with everyone around her. She talks about how it works, and why it works, and outlines pretty clearly why punishment doesn't really ever work, on anyone, including people. Or at least why it never works as well as a more positive method.

I think it might be a helpful read for some of the skeptics who agree with positive reenforcement most of the time but think that X behavior is an exception and must be met with punishment, for safety or leadership or whatever.

I know that my mother (who is a high school teacher with a degree in behavioral psychology) applies positive reenforcement to all her students, most especially to the ones who are rude and obnoxious jerks. When they are rude she makes them practice polite behavior in front of the class and then praises them for it, and they all like her. She's always been really well liked by the kids who hate every other teacher, hate school, hate the other students, hate their parents.

Other teachers (and occasionally parents) often criticize her for letting students rewrite and resubmit papers over and over until they get a really good grade. Her response is that her goal is to teach them how to get it right, not to punish them for not getting it right away.

I knew all of this about her, but she never really talked about it with me until I got started training the dog. I'll talk about some facet of teaching and she says, "Oh I did that with rats in the 70's."

Anyway, this has wandered kind of far off topic, but "Don't Shoot the Dog" is a really good book to read if you want to learn more about the scientific theory that clicker training is based in. It's not just a sweet new agey philosophy. It was invented by people who were in situations where punishment just wouldn't work.
Paul&Muttley

Post by Paul&Muttley »

This reply is mostly to Mattie's statement that her dog will respond well to being left alone if her "come" command is not obeyed. I don't think that would work with Muttley, as he is very happy to stay outside, and he is also happy to spend his time in another room of the house, although sometimes he follows me and sits or lies down near me. But he does not actively seek attention unless it is because he is hungry, thirsty, or needs to go outside to eliminate (or just wants to because he hears something that needs to be investigated).

This has been an interesting and informative thread. I continue to hold to my own opinions, but I will try to work on clicker training and positive reinforcement. I certainly do not, and never did, embrace punishment and aversives, but I still think they may be effective and appropriate in some situations and for some dogs and handlers. I always try to keep an open mind, and suspect any method or ideology that claims to be "the one true way" and rejects every aspect of any other.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Paul&Muttley wrote:This reply is mostly to Mattie's statement that her dog will respond well to being left alone if her "come" command is not obeyed. I don't think that would work with Muttley, as he is very happy to stay outside, and he is also happy to spend his time in another room of the house, although sometimes he follows me and sits or lies down near me. But he does not actively seek attention unless it is because he is hungry, thirsty, or needs to go outside to eliminate (or just wants to because he hears something that needs to be investigated).

How do you know it won't work with Muttley if you haven't tried it?

Bonnie loves to be outside and is often out there on her own a long time after the others have come in. When I call them in they always get a reward of some sort, it can be play, praise, tum rub even on very odd occassions a treat. When I call her and she doesn't come, I close the door she knows that she is missing something.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
wvvdiup1

To Dogwoodblossom

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I agree with you. In a way, training a dog or a puppy is like teaching a person: you don't punish either one just because their response isn't the right one! Victoria uses the right methods in training dogs because it "builds confidence" in dogs. These methods build, if you will, encouragement and trust in both the dog and the trainer, just as it does with humans. "Thumbs up!" to Victoria!
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

scbelle wrote:I'm sorry, muddyfloors, but you have not read my posts correctly. I did warn the woman, Katie was attempting to jump, SHE APPROACHED KATIE, I did not approach her. Her manner told me she did not mind this when she leaned over to pat my dog. AFTER she touched Katie, while I was holding her back from jumping, she poked her.
I can't understand why some people seem to think a dog jumping up is the crime of the century. It's perfectly normal dog behaviour (if not acceptable to humans).
Best if it doesn't do it but if you make a fuss of someone else's dog it might happen and if it does - live with it.
If you want to avoid the risk of it happening, keep away.
Simple.

Pam
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and speculate-- actually, I've been thinking on this one for a couple of days now, and I just have to say it: I'm thinking that scbelle's neighbor was itching to try CM's method, for two possible reasons: 1) So she could "teach" scbelle something that she obviously thought was a wonderful skill to know, and 2) For her own ego trip, at being able to try something she had seen demonstrated on tv and (in her view, anyway) have it "work." It's like a couple of others have already mentioned: People see the show, and all of a sudden consider themselves "expert dog trainers." It just so happens that scbelle's little dog was the victim of this kind of experimentation.

As well as poking, another thing I think is rude, that I see too many people do, is use their foot to nudge their dog, especially under the chin. I have to keep myself from saying "don't do that!" to people, when it's not even my dog they are doing it to, but their own.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

What do you mean by nudging Fundog?

I am disabled with poor mobility, my bigger dogs are easy to deal with but Gracie and Ellie isn't. Gracie is 10ins high and I can't always bend to her especially if I am moving as well. I don't nudge her but do block her with my let at times.

Ellie can't wear a collar, she is a typical Staffy, determined to do what she wants, I can't bend to her anyway sometimes so again I have to block with my leg.
MaiasMom

Jumpimg up at dog parks

Post by MaiasMom »

The dog park is not for me, it is for dogs, it's their place. The one that gets me is the person who wears nice clothes to the dog park, the one that wears white pants and gets bent out of shape when a dog puts a dirty paw print on them. DUH! Like I say, "there is no real cure for STUPID!"
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Heheh MM how I can relate to that. :D

We have lots of lovely footpaths here where dogs can be exercised off-lead, but it does get muddy (England=rain). And always we meet the immaculate white-trousered person coming the other way....... and while my dogs don't jump up, they can still splash........
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Hence, Dog park, not Humans with dogs park. As a matter of fact, I am off to the "Dog park" with my posse and it has rained lately. I live in the US in Washington State, lots and lots of rain.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Mattie, what I really meant by "nudge" is when they actually use the toe of their shoe and bump the dog under the chin! That is just so rude, even mean! (That's really a kick, in my opinion)

I've been known to "nudge" or "block" my dogs with a leg, or at most the side of my foot (not the toe or the heel), when I'm short on hands. But I've never "kicked" them under the chin, or anywhere else. I've accidentally stepped on them, but it was an accident, and I always make an effort to apologize, whether I think they understand or not.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Fundog wrote:Mattie, what I really meant by "nudge" is when they actually use the toe of their shoe and bump the dog under the chin! That is just so rude, even mean! (That's really a kick, in my opinion)
Thanks Fundog, using a toe under the chin can be dangerous, the person slips when doing it and the dog accidentally gets a good kick, if it is stong enough it could break the lower jaw. I am with you, it is a kick and as it is a kick it is abuse.
I've been known to "nudge" or "block" my dogs with a leg, or at most the side of my foot (not the toe or the heel), when I'm short on hands. But I've never "kicked" them under the chin, or anywhere else. I've accidentally stepped on them, but it was an accident, and I always make an effort to apologize, whether I think they understand or not.
I always apologise if I accidently step on a dog or something I didn't intend doing as well :lol: