Can dogs get....

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Maggie

Can dogs get....

Post by Maggie »

Narcolepsy?

Ive wondered this for a good couple of months now. I had noticed that Del (my bullterrier) sleeps a lot, and can sleep anywhere. But this last couple of months, I've noticed him just dropping to sleep... litterally!

You can be lay on the bed, and he will jump up to join you, flop down and snore his head off. He also will just flop down on the floor and sleep straight away,well basically anywhere.

Its been a bit of a standing joke in our house that he could sleep on a washing line, but its kinda getting beyond a joke. He doesnt even do the pretend to be asleep just so he doesnt have to move trick... he is actually asleep.

Example.. He was sat on the bed with me this morning, and started to scratch his left ear. Half way through scratching, he flopped down, front leg all twisted out to the side, back foot still in his ear, and he is out cold... snoring his head off. I poked him to move him so he didnt get all uncomfortable, and he woke up startled, like he had been asleep for hours.

I know all bullies are lazy pigs, and beleive me our lizzie was one of the laziest... but usually they will make themselves comfy first before nodding off. This is more than that.. its him litterally dropping off.
He has done it when Ive been with other dog lovers too, and they have said he must have it. They are amazed by it. He did it in a pub once and everyone laughed their heads off at him. He has got many funny little ways and quirks, and is the most comical dog you could ever meet... but this really takes the biscuit.

If I could get it on video for you all to see I would.. but I never seem to have the video camera out at the right time.

So what do you think guys...
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

Yes, narcolepsy can occur in dogs. Not common mind you, but it does happen. It is more likely this is a symptom of another issue.

Being a bully there is a good chance he suffers from sleep apnea (caused by soft palate issues or collapsing trachea issues)...this can cause a lot of sleep disturbances and is part of the reason that brachicephalic dogs snore. When a dog or person has apnea their sleep patterns are greatly disturbed, resulting in narcoleptic like issues.

I would see your vet and discuss this. Sleep disturbances/sleep pattern issues can be indicative of bigger issues and can cause a lot of physical issues. Many soft palate issues can be surgically repaired.

I don't want to worry you, but this can greatly affect his quality of life.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Thanks for that Cracker... but he doesnt actually have any other issues regards breathing or sleeping. In fact Ive never known a bullie sleep as much as him.
He can sleep for 10 or 12 hours a night and doesnt wake up. He also sleeps during the day, and like I say can sleep anywhere lol.

He also doesnt snore either.. well not much anyway. My AB does, but he doesnt, unless he is asleep on his back.

Ive had tons of tests done on him in his short life... mostly due to his pooing issues (being intolerant to poultry) and the vet said other than him having a dodgy tum, he has no other health probs.

I will look into the sleep apnea though, and go back to the vets, to see if there are any tests can be done regards his sleep. Sp thanks for the heads up... I will let you know what they say.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

After what I have been through this year with Ellie caused by her soft pallet being too long, it is something I would have checked if I get another bull breed dog.

Ellie wasn't a big snorer but she did make other noises when she was awake and she slept quite a lot. All my other dogs would be raring for me to get up, I was having to wake Ellie up to get up. Not now, she is up with all the others.:lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Thanks for that you 2... I will defo go to get him checked out, and let you know what they say... Thanks again. :wink: