If you need a laugh...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

If you need a laugh...

Post by Fundog »

Hey all, this is just to share a laugh, in case anyone needs a quick pick-me-up:

Earlier this morning, while it was still dark as night out, I walked the girls, including through our favorite park. Well, there was a dark "shape," a "something," out in the middle of the soccer field. Dottie was really nervous about it, and the more she kept looking at this thing, the more curious and suspicious I became also (Annie didn't care-- she had her nose on the ground, oblivious). My curiosity finally got the better of me, and I had to go investigate, and find out what "it" was, whether a scary person skulking about, or another dog gone stray, or just what... So we approach very cautiously, Dottie becoming more and more suspicious, startling and sitting every few steps. Meanwhile, Annie is happily following along, nose on the ground. So we finally get up to the big, scary, "something," and..... (wait for it)

It was a tumbleweed! :lol: :lol: :lol What a silly lot we were! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:
wvvdiup1

If you need a laugh...

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hi Fundog!

I thought your story was very funny! I had a dog that used to chase large wads of lint and used dryer sheets throughout the house. Luckily, she didn't chew or eat it!

wvvdiup1
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

:lol: Hey there, wvvduip1. Glad you got a laugh. I too am glad to hear your dog didn't eat any of the dryer lint she chased around-- that would have been bad!

My boys have to keep their bedroom doors closed, because Annie will go eat their Legos. (But they get them back-- eew!)
Gideon Love

Post by Gideon Love »

cute! thanks for sharing that
Eph 3:16
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

To funny. I have to tell the story of Kai and the fire hydrant. Kai was about 6 months old and every new thing gave him a bad moment. I was walking him up the street can came to a fire hydrant. He just went nuts, barking, whining and really making a fool of himself. The funny part comes in because there was a low hedge on either side blocking view of Kai. I was bent over laughing and looked up to see 2 women coming from the other side, not seeing Kai they looked at me like I was crazy. A bag blowing in the wind could send him over the edge as well. I have had more moments of pure joy and laughter watching dogs do what they do.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
wvvdiup1

Heard at the Darkpark

Post by wvvdiup1 »

You know the dog, Roxy, I wrote about under the subject: Snapping in the Face. Well, since that time, I have been using a lot of VS's training techniques on Roxy, in addition to walking Roxy to stimulate and calm her down. I've even trained Roxy's owners to watch the tone of their voices instead of yelling at her. The change in the dog went from negative to positive; in other words, you wouldn't think it was the same dog, because she was that well behaved. At any rate, a few days ago, Roxy came running over to me, and what I saw really made me very angry: not only were her owners yelling at her, but they had a shock collar on her! Needless to say, I cut the shock collar off of Roxy and had a very serious talk with her owners. Fortunately, Roxy doesn't seem to be harmed from the shock collar and I have been working with Roxy's owners in the recall technique. So far Roxy has been responding to well. I just hope I don't see what I saw again.

wvvdiup1
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

:shock: Oh my word! So did Roxy's owners get upset when you cut the shock collar off of her? What was their reaction? And how are they responding to what you had to say/teach to them? Well, good for you, for standing up for something you believe in, and good luck with that-- keep us posted on how it goes. :?
spydre

Re: If you need a laugh...

Post by spydre »

Fundog wrote:Hey all, this is just to share a laugh, in case anyone needs a quick pick-me-up:

Earlier this morning, while it was still dark as night out, I walked the girls, including through our favorite park. Well, there was a dark "shape," a "something," out in the middle of the soccer field. Dottie was really nervous about it, and the more she kept looking at this thing, the more curious and suspicious I became also (Annie didn't care-- she had her nose on the ground, oblivious). My curiosity finally got the better of me, and I had to go investigate, and find out what "it" was, whether a scary person skulking about, or another dog gone stray, or just what... So we approach very cautiously, Dottie becoming more and more suspicious, startling and sitting every few steps. Meanwhile, Annie is happily following along, nose on the ground. So we finally get up to the big, scary, "something," and..... (wait for it)

It was a tumbleweed! :lol: :lol: :lol What a silly lot we were! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:
Oh dear fundog. This reminds me of two of my encounters the first couple of times I walked Dodger through the neighborhood. The first time, as we came up the street, a man was sitting on his porch with a little terrier type dog (unleashed). Well, the dog decided that we were on the sidewalk, which is his property so he came running (typical, lol). Dodger lunged because he wanted to play with the doggie, but I saw what was happening and pulled him back. The dog just stood there yapping, and the man came up to get the dog - that's when Dodger went reactive - he hid behind my legs!

The next day, as I was coming up the street, a different house, an elderly woman came out to start the car, and a few seconds later was followed by an elderly man in a walker. Dodger took one look at the elderly man with the walker, and tried to run back home! If he can avoid seeing men he doesn't know (especially scary ones with walkers!), he will. If he can't get away, he hides behind me. :) Although in the process of hiding, he's still usually trying to walk in the opposite direction of where we are going. Since he's being walked daily, specifically up and down our street and alley as well as the nearby park, I'm hoping he gets used to the siting of these men, and gets used to them.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

It saddens me when a dog gets upset or is scared of something. Just yesterday I went to buy some dog shampoo. I often babysit a friends dog so he does not have to go to a kennel when they are gone. Since he and my 3 dogs are best buddies, it is always a pleasure to have Cyrus. This dog was a rescue at 6 months of age, he is now 8 yrs old and has many fears. Just the site of a vacumn cleaner will cause him to pee in fear and try to hide under the bed. Yesterday I went to buy some dog shampoo and when I took the bottle out of the bag he just came unglued. It makes me think that before my friend adopted him that he may have been abuse with many things. It took me an hour of showing him the bottle and gently rubbing in on him to show him that it was not going to hurt him. It just broke my heart because this boy is such a sweet and loving thing. It took him a long time to warm up to my husband also. He seems to be very careful around men that he does not know except for my brother who he not only came to but seemed to love at first sight.
spydre

Post by spydre »

So far, other than sudden or loud noises, strange men are the only things that bother him. Well, if the man has a dog on a leash, he's not so upset at the man.

We assume the uncomfortableness (I won't even call it fear, as he will slowly warm up to them if around them for more than a few seconds) dates back to his early life. Up until 8 months of age, he lived with a couple, ended up being tied out. Finally, a cop that lived next door to the couple saw enough to merit calling the human society - we aren't exactly sure what he went through, but assume he may have been abused in some way by the husband. We don't know exactly what happened while he was at that home, because when animal control showed up at the home, the couple just signed the dog over, no questions asked.

With noises, we've acclimated him to quite a few already. The clicker only took about 5 minutes, and for the most part (unless his head is near the chair) he's gotten used to the sound of the chairs in the den rolling, the lawnmower (well, he wants to kill it - but that's better than running away). He still won't go outside if my husband has the gas grill running, unless he's outside before he starts the grill.

We had a ball with a bell in it, we had to introduce that slowly, and it was finally accepted when we put a little peanut butter in it. But as it was a toy my mother in law originally got for her mini dachsund (so not incredibly tough), Dodger chewed through most of it by the end of the night, and it had to be pitched.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

LOL! That reminds me of when I first got Eevee and she saw a STUMP and spooked over it. Dogs are so funny.
Eevee, 10-year-old Border Collie mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo), 4-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, I just had a blonde moment I wanted to share-- it's good for a chuckle, anyway.

I had the girls with me, since I had a couple of stops to make after our walk. The last stop was at the gas station to top off my fuel tank, so my husband could take my vehicle to work, as his car is in the shop. When I got out, instead of putting my keys in my pocket, I did something monumentally stupid and left them in the cup holder instead.

So after fueling, I discovered that girls had stepped on the lock mechanism, and locked me out of my vehicle! And I do not have a spare key! Ugh!

So I called the police, and an officer came to assist me, but he didn't have the tools. Instead, he got on his dashboard computer and started calling locksmiths for me. Then stayed there and waited with me until I was safely on my way again-- he said he wasn't going to leave me alone out there at 1:00 am. So I got better acquainted with my local law enforcement-- (sigh) he's my hero!

Anyway, I just had to tell somebody about it. The only thing it has to do with my dogs, is that they are the ones who locked me out! They sure were good, though. They were stuck inside the car for an hour, wondering why I was standing out there, with them inside. And they didn't even bark at Mr. Policeman when he approached me! For the most part, they looked pretty happy-- curious, but happy.
mj702002

Post by mj702002 »

Ohh Dear Fundog... Isn't that an awful feeling! I bet you will not leave your keys in the car again :wink:
I had that happen to me a long time ago...my car had the automatic locks and I was able (and lucky enough) to get the dog excited and stepping on the door that he hit the lock/unlock button and unlocked the door.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Fun, my dogs locked me in to my garage one day, had to haul out a ladder to climb up to my deck , I was in my shorty jamas in broad daylight and I am scared of high places. I am sure my neighbor had a good laugh, the old fat lady in her shorty jamas climbing a ladder. From that time on every time I have to go into the garage I have a key in my pocket. As for my cars, an expensive trip by the lock smith taught me a good lesson. Some of the best things I learned have come from things like this.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

LOL, MM-- I'm sure glad I'm not the only one. And, I can totally relate to your remark on the "expense." That locksmith had my door open in less than 30 seconds, and it cost me $100! :shock: Yeah, I don't think I would mind traipsing out in the middle of the night to earn $100 for a quick 30 second job. What a way to earn a living. :roll: Hunny Bunny was not pleased, I have to say. But he did forgive me. And no, I daresay this won't happen again-- at least not anytime soon. :lol: