Dog Coat

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

loza123

Dog Coat

Post by loza123 »

What does everyone think about dog coats? i think there a good idea but the one that we have for my dog is a blue one and is too big because we boght it 3 years ago and there is now new styles for dog coats .What does everyone else think?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Dog coats for keeping dogs warm where dogs need to be kept warm and dry, good.

To that end my sighthounds have coats, and also i got them cheap 'hoodies' not for the hoody part but because they have front legs and keep naked sighthoundy bellies dry and warm.

My collie x and my staffy x do not need a coat to keep warm and dry so they do not have coats.

I think coats for the purpose of making a dog look cute are wrong, making a dog look like a human to seem cute sends out the wrong message and makes it easy for people to forget that dogs are dogs.
Fab_lab

Post by Fab_lab »

if it is raining alot i use coats for my lab and jack russell , it saves time with the drying ...
Boxacrazy

Post by Boxacrazy »

I don't agree with 'dressing-up' coats.
However dog coats for the very cold and wet especially for dogs with a medical condition that are affected by the cold/wet etc I say are fine.

I have 2 dogs that suffer with hypothyroidism. They don't like the cold weather and to some extent very wet weather, so I have coats that
are waterproof and windproof to keep them warm and dry. To be honest
they are only used when necessary.
I also have a coat that is a flectalon dog coat, which has helped me numerous times when my veteran girl has had an op and helped her
to keep her temperature up by keeping her warm and reflecting heat lost. I wouldn't be without it for the old gal.
It has lasted years - and actually helped my original veteran whom
I lost to cancer 6 years this October.

My 'healthy' dog doesn't really do dog coats.
Obviously she thinks it has no street cred :lol: