what breed does my dog resemble?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lrparker1990

what breed does my dog resemble?

Post by lrparker1990 »

what breed does my dog resemble? i've been trying to figure it out for the year and a half i've had him

i used to think lab and whippet mix. because of the coloring being lab, he has a soft mouth. but the body size, shape make me think whippet. and he LOVES to run

however i recently discovered a patterdale terrier looks similar to his face.

what a puzzle! :?
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

He looks terrier mix. he is darling! He reminds me of my Callie. The rescue I got her from as a puppy said she was terrier/pom mix, but I dont see Pom in her at all. (Yes she is holding an avocado, all my dogs LOVE the avocados that fall on the ground in the groves!)
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
lrparker1990

Post by lrparker1990 »

callie is a gorgeous dog! i see terrier and maybe a shepherd mix because of the tail. haha avocados! i just tried feeding my dog one today, he spit it out on the floor and stared at it and then looked at me :lol:
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

I dont know about GSD, she is a small dog, only about 20 lbs. I see some Chi in her, terrier for sure but god only knows what else, LOL, but I dont care. She has been a wonderful dog and a great companion. All my dogs love avocados, in fact all our friends that come out and run in the groves, learn to like them too. Maybe the avocado you gave your guy was not ripe enough for his liking LOL.
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
zeus'fostermom

Post by zeus'fostermom »

Have you considered DNA testing? I keep running into people who've done this and really enjoyed getting the results. I heard it was about $100 (usd). If you can afford it, it could be fun to find out.
Foster failure ... I've adopted Zeus !
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

DNA can't prove breed - it can only prove the alleged parents were the real parents.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I also see some Chihuahua in the face.

yeah those DNA tests are pretty bad. I know someone with an 80 pound, smooth coated (really smooth, like a boxer) black and white spotted dog and they sent in his DNA. He came back with his main breed a Maltese, then Bichon Frise, then Boston terrier and then Lab (in order of how much is in the dog). right........They even sent it in again and got similar results. So I think they fail :lol:
lrparker1990

Post by lrparker1990 »

most likely! because all dogs are mixed breeds. even the "pur bred" they had to mix them with something to get most of the "pure breds" haha
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

What a cute dog, you can see almost anything in this dog. You might want to give it its own breed type, like "Great American mouse hound"
The best days are spent with my dogs.
lrparker1990

Post by lrparker1990 »

lol :lol: that would be a great name i mostly just look at him and he's my zachary!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

She looks like a JRT/Whippet, there is no Chi there. This is my Tilly, she is a GSD/Greyhound.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

my girlfriend up the street that has a dog that looks just like this dog,no simular but exactly like this dog, this dog could almost be Cyrus. Cyrus is half yellow lab and half german shepard, got the coloring of the lab, long muzzel of the shepard, ears tail, everything about this dog looks like Cyrus.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I can't take credit for the "Great American Mouse Hound" thing, my brother use to say that about his really fat yellow cocker spaniel Lacey, Please would ask what she was and that's what he would say just to see what their reaction would be. I get that also with my 3 Standard Schnauzers. Just yesterday a woman, and this is funny and you will see why, a woman came up to me to ask me what my dogs are, so I tell her Standard Schnauzer. I let my posse go natural, no schnauzer clip for this gang, they are keep trimmed up but everything else is left the way nature intented. So I tell her and she gives me an "OH REALLY!" I have one also and I almost split my pants when I look down and there is a dog standing next to my Maia that I had to look twice to tell them apart. HOLY COW!, even right down to the pink collar. I guess my point is that you can look at a dog and see many breeds in that dog. I am not sure what she saw in my gang, but sure did not connect it to her dog.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I think the part about being able to see many different breeds in a dog, even a registered pure-breed, can be attributed to the fact that a lot of breeds have been developed by mixing other breeds together, drawing out specific traits to develop a new standard. For example, the setters were developed from the spaniels, and anyone who doesn't know better might mistake a full setter for a "spaniel mix."

When I was searching for Dottie, the rescue had her identified as a "spaniel mix." But I knew immediately from her picture that she was full English Setter. When we got her vet records, the vet had mis-id'd her as a "damation cross"-- lol, you would think a vet would know better, especially with a breeder right there in the area!

Everyone is always mistaking Annie for a Border Collie. They automatically assume because she is black and white. A lot of these people have never seen a Springer Spaniel, much less know they come in black and white as well as brown/white. I have to point out the other breed traits, such as the shape of her head/muzzle, her flews, the spaniel ears, and assure them the blaze, freckles, and ticking are also typical ESS breed traits. Those in the know will see the ears and guess-- "Hey, that's a spaniel!"
lrparker1990

Post by lrparker1990 »

:arrow: i know a dog from a dog park that looks almost exactly tilly and has the same name! but her head kind of leans because i guess her owner said she got hit by a car :(

:arrow: It seems even the purest of breeds all have a mixture of something to make them that way which is why i don't consider any breed pure, unless it was a born and raised wolf or something haha. anyway i know my dog is special is my heart and i guess i've kinda got less and less interested in figuring out what he is and just enjoying who he is cause there'll never be another like him![/list][/code]