two femeal dogs fighting

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JENNY56

two femeal dogs fighting

Post by JENNY56 »

we cant have them in the same room at same time because they fight .any advice on how to keep them from fighting
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I think the folks on this board are going to need more information - breed, age, how long you've had each, what's their routine, and describe the behaviors. Once you post that stuff I'm sure the experts on here will be able to help you.
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

Breed is important, some breeds are highly prone to dog aggression and some are prone to same sex dog aggression. For dogs who are fighting out of pure genes there is not much you can do, especially with females. I would keep them apart always or find one a new home. I know it must be very hard living with DA dogs when you have multiples, may I ask how old they are?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Can you give us more information please, as much as you can, the more we have the more we can help.

I have 4 bitches living together, they didn't always get on, it is a very long management program, think years not days, and even they they may never learn to live together.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Mattie, that really interests me (the bit about your bitches not always getting along). I have read, in several places that once two bitches take a real dislike to each other, then thats it. All you can really do is rehome one. Is that not the case or is this specifically for dogs that are the same breed / age?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I think it is more the temperament of the dogs, some can learn to live together but others can't. Bit like us humans, some people we don't take to but when we get to know them better we quite like them but other people we never get to like.

Good management is also important, you have to be away all the time what each dog is doing and were they are in case they start off.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Mattie is right, they CAN live together, however you can rarely trust them alone together or with toys and bones.

I have rehabed more than one aggressive pitbull which are VERY prone to dog/gender aggressions. It's workable but it's hard, I got them to get along for two years where they slept and cuddled together, but one day the pit was in mild pain and with pain fear of getting hurt came and she got defensive and attacked. My old female almost killed her that day.

So even with training, work and vigilante you will always have to careful even if you get it to work.

However, they will need more information, sometimes you can integrate dogs with time and proper training but it's far form always success depending on the dogs themselfes.
The problem is in the other end of the leash!
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Whether or not they will get along also depends soley on why they are fighting in the first place. There is not enough information to even speculate on the issue.

Dogs will fight over resources, the male/male or *****/***** issues, medical reasons, etc... without more information the only thing I would suggest is thyroid panels and exams for both dogs to rule out any medical reason which heightens aggressive tendencies.