Seizures/fits

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

Seizures/fits

Post by danabanana »

Hi guys

Teagan had a fit this morning, she had one last week too. I rang the emergency vet (being Sunday) and was told to just let her be to get over it herself, now she's had a second one though I need to take her in tomorrow to be checked over.

Just wondering if anyone here has dogs that have fits, what is likely to happen at the vets? Are your dogs generally ok, do they have medication? Is there anything they have to avoid?

Just wondering what to expect really, thanks
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

One of mine Joe has seizures if he eats the wrong food, he is alergic to a lot, as long as he doesn't eat these he is free of seizures.

There are many reasons why a dog will have a seizure, often we never find out the reason but if we can, it makes controlling them a lot easier.

Your vet it right to wait and see, when I first took Joe to the vets he was put on phenabarb only it was 4 times the dosage he should have had, I changed vets because of this. My new vets don't automatically give drugs they like to do tests first, this is far better, it could be something very simple to correct without giving drugs like phanbarb which can damage the liver I think.

Have their been any changes with your dog?

Could she have got over stressed over Christmas?

Has she eaten anything she shouldn't have?

Start keeping a dairy of everything to do with her, food, exercise, sleep anything you can think of write it down, you may then start to see a pattern develop just before she has a seizure.

One of my dogs at the Bridge used to have seizures, she would get hyperactive a few days before having one, if I gave her herbal calmers it would stop the seizure developing.

Learn about your dog, this will need to be a lot more than most dog owners learn but hopefully you will be able to sort this out without drugs.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Thanks Mattie

I can't *think* of anything changed or different with her - I did take her with me to my parents for Christmas but she had the first one last week before that...

I'll have to start keeping a diary, hopefully I'll notice something if it's all written down, it's not nice to see her like that :(
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

ok so been to the vet this morning - check up was fine, blood test apparently was fine... I've been given some tablets for her - Epiphen 30mg - and told to give her one tab twice a day then take her back for another check up in 3 weeks.

Not entirely sure I want to drug her up to be honest, might do some research into this epiphen stuff...
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Thank you Mattie! That will be my bedtime reading after work x
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

How much experience has your vet got with epilepsy? It seems a bit extreme to put her on regular meds after only 2 fits. Many dogs with infrequent fits are just monitored and only medicated if the fits are severe because the drugs can cause more side-effects than just having the fits anyway. I will PM the details of a dogs with epilepsy support group that is good, but I would suggest asking for a second opinion or just querying the need for meds so soon. Even with people you wouldn't be on meds already after only 2 fits unless they were severe and affecting the person's life.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

You are still together!! That's fab news! I'd echo all the other advice you've been given by the more experienced ones, I know nowt when it comes to this sort of thing!! Fi x
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

katowaggytail wrote:You are still together!! That's fab news! I'd echo all the other advice you've been given by the more experienced ones, I know nowt when it comes to this sort of thing!! Fi x
Yes we are! After the year we've had too I guess it's definately something to be thankful for.

Will read through the links above and thanks for the PM Horace's Mum I'll look into it - I think I was given meds for her as it had been 2 in a week?
PSnyder

Post by PSnyder »

I had a Sheltie that had seizures for 7 of his 12 years of life. First, a veterinary evaluation is absolutely necessary. The first consideration is the dog's age. If a seizure disorder is going to be a health issue for a dog it usually shows up by age 5. After that other things are usually the cause. That said, if your dog is age 5 or under then it is more likely a seizure disorder. In either case a thorough vet exam is of extreme importance. Most vets don't want to treat the seizures if they aren't frequent, but with 2 in 2 weeks, it might be that treatment is necessary. However, without a thorough veterinary evaluation you can't know if there is another underlying cause for the seizures.
The meds aren't without side effects and it is essential that you ask as many questions and get as much literature as you can regarding canine seizures and the treatments. Keep in mind the meds will not cure this, they will only help reduce the frequency and severity of the seizures.
First rule, do not hold the dog down! They will usually try to get up at some point during the seizure and holding them down is the worst thing you can do. The best thing is to try to support the dog if it wants to try to stand as it won't be able to do so on its own. That will help prevent injury while the dog is prone to falling or staggering about. Talk quietly to the dog while the seizure is happening. Though the dog is really out in Never-Never Land, the sound of your voice will be an important part of the support you can provide, especially when he's come completely out of it. He's lost a few minutes with the seizure and disorientation is a common after effect, so if you're right there when he comes around it's less confusing for him. You can seizure proof your home to a degree. If you have stairs you should discourage him from lying on landings or at the top of them because he can fall down them during a seizure. If necessary get a gate to close off the stairs to reduce that risk. If the dog wants to sleep on your bed that's not a good idea because he can fall off the bed during a seizure and hurt himself. Train him to use his own bed at night & place it where you can hear him if he's in any distress.
The minute you notice a seizure go to the dog's side. support him, talk to him and watch the clock. A seizure should run its course in 5 min or less, but if it continues get the dog to the nearest vet ASAP. After the seizure has passed keep an eye on him. Back to back seizures are rare, but they can happen so it's essential that you be aware of that possibility and be prepared to scoop him up to rush to the nearest vet if another seizure occurs.
Of note here, my dog always came close to overheating during the last moments of the seizure. An ice pack applied to the back of his neck for a few seconds, released and then reapplied throughout the seizure helped keep that part of the seizure in control. You can't always get to an ice pack because you can't pick and choose where it will happen, but if you can get to one, use it.
He will be tired afterward so let him rest. He should be himself within half an hour or so, but if you note after effects for a longer time, call your vet. Accordingly, you will learn to recognize some of his after seizure behaviors and you'll eventually be able to tell when he's had a seizure you didn't see, and there will be some of those. They happen at night or when you aren't home. Try to leave him in as safe an environment as possible when you leave the house.
As for emotional support for Mom & Dad, that's harder yet. There was never a time I felt so helpless as when my dog was having a seizure, but I will emphasize the importance of you remaining as calm and focused as possible while getting him through it. The more focused and calm you are during those times, the better for him. You can fall apart later if you want, but not right then.
There is a lot of information on the web about canine seizures so start digging, look up anything you can find, print it out and keep it in a folder where you can refer to it if needed. Ask your vet as many questions as you can think of and ask him if he can get you some written information about the seizures and treatments. Be sure to ask about any and all options available to insure that your dog has the best treatment and care possible for his condition.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

ok well here's an update for ya!

Took the beaglemonster back after the 3 weeks, she's had no more fits since then. Vet gave her a check over and ave me another 3 months supply of the epiphen, will do another check up then.

Paid for the tablets, walked out of the vets and went to cross the road to walk back home. Stopped at a zebra crossing - looked right, looked left - strutted out then BANG I can see the sky spinning round and I'm laid on my back in the middle of the road.

Got run over, some guy didn't stop at the crossing. Laid up with a broken leg, the past few weeks have just been X Rays and CT scans and hospital appointments and police visits, it's been craziness! Given a statement - police are prosecuting the driver for not stopping at a crossing and for driving without due care and attention, so I have to wait and see if i have to go to court.

God knows how, but Teagan is fine, she managed to not get hit!

How's my life doing for bad luck eh Kato and Donna!?
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

OMG! what are you like!!

Soo pleased you are sort of in one piece... What a nightmare year you are having. At least you have the Beagle Monster with you, to sit on your leg and lick those toes that you can't reach!!

Take care and I really hope things are ok, let us know how you are doing.

Love Fi, Kato and all the small furries in this house!! xxx
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

It is good luck, if the car had hit the beaglemonster she wouldn't be able to keep you company while you recover :lol:

I am sorry you are laid up like this, but pleased there have been no more fits. :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh heck, poor you! :(

Lots of hugs and flowers XXXX
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

just bumping this as re-reading some of those links!

She's since had another fit 7th April and one more last night. Back at vet tomorrow morning to discuss medication and have another full check up(currently still on Epiphen 30mg twice a day).

And to add another question/query really. Where is safest to leave her when unsupervised? Now she's had several I'm petrified she'll have one when I'm not there and fall into something heavy which could fall on her. She purposely has a massive crate (labrador/boxer size) but she could still get toes trapped. There is no room in the house suitable - I've thought about the utility room with nothing in it she could fall on but there is a cat flap and the door is baby-gated - so more stuff she could get stuck in/on. Or am I worrying too much?

It's not physically possible for me to never leave her alone ever, which is what I would love to be able to to.