General wonderment

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bingles

General wonderment

Post by Bingles »

i was just wondering what this was

Everynow and then bingles gets gven these rawhide bones she loes them for a wee while doesn't eat them she buries them. Then everynow and then she takes a notion and digs them up she is then very quiet should you challenge her however she holds the bone in her mouth growling at you. never once has she tried to be aggresive at the same time she will even growl then look for strokes is this a territoril thing? there is np just wondering.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

This is an example of resource guarding. The growling is telling you that the rawhide is hers. I would work on a drop command and leave it command as this type of behavior can and often does escalate to serious problems.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

My Annie will growl, but she is inviting play, as she has her front on the floor, and her rump in the air-- she WANTS us to challenge/chase her for her rawhide. And when she growls, it is with pleasure-- like a giggle. If we walk away, she'll come after us and try to shove the rawhide into our hands, then take off again when we grab hold. Maybe that's not the same thing you're describing with your dog though? BTW, my Annie buries her rawhides and forgets about them too. She once recovered one that had been strangely preserved-- like a rock-- from being buried brand new for several months. She also "buries" her bones under the couch cushions, in the bedcovers, in the laundry, etc. Then "digs" them up later. I'm always having to check my bed for bones and rawhides before I go to sleep, lol. She's such a funny little lemon head.