What is Everyone's Opinions

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kmandichak

What is Everyone's Opinions

Post by kmandichak »

What is everyone's opinion on PETA? I hate it when anyone abuses or neglects an animal, but PETA seems too extreme and radical for me. How about you all?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

For an animal rights group they sure Euthanize a high percentage of animals the "rescue" or take into their shelters....of course this is while they protest shelters using Euthanization for population control.

The are a group which accoring to some sponsers terrorism (eco terrorism resulting in several arsons and such)

They are against animal research which of course provides the insulin one of their vice presidents needs for her diabetis....she won't stop her meds though her insulin comes from pigs.

There are several quotes from miss Newkirk that strike as a group that is against pet ownership.

Now I won't say anymore lest I get a warning because it would not be very polite.
kmandichak

Post by kmandichak »

I agree with everything you say there.
deerewife

Post by deerewife »

I am not a fan of PETA. They tend to act without thinking about the consequences.

Several years ago, a group of PETA activists broke into one of the University of WI research labs. They freed dozens of mink without knowing anything about what diseases the animals may have carried. They had no plans for the animals, they just set them free in downtown Madison. Many were hit by cars, but some got into peoples yards. They had a woman on TV telling how she had bludgeoned two mink with a baseball bat as they were approaching her toddler. She wasn't they only homeowner have an encounter that ended badly for the mink. Between cars, terrified homeowners, and dogs I don't think any of the mink survived.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Preferring Excellent Tasting Animals. That's my opinion. PETA can take that and chew on it.
Border Collie Momma

Post by Border Collie Momma »

I agree... PETA is too extreme.
If you're looking for an animal group to support, try the ASPCA, or a local shelter that IS no-kill.
kmandichak

Post by kmandichak »

I would choose the ASPCA over PETA anyday. I had written a paper a year ago stating the extremness of PETA. Lets just say, I am not impressed with them. They actually scare me.
Missymay

Post by Missymay »

I do rescue work and rescue workers tend to get lumped in with AR groups like PETA a lot.

I am not a fan. They have an agenda that includes the abolishment of pet dogs and cats completely.

They are radical and extreme and very capable of putting on a beguiling face to fool the general public.
Kim and Asher

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotionâ€
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Did anyone hear about the incident at a dog show? I guess some Peta members ran around letting show dogs out of their kennels because "they were so miserable in there". The show was held near a busy highway and... well, you see where this is going. :(
If I'm not mistaken, it was also a hot day and the kennels were in the shade. I don't think the dogs were very miserable to be out of the sun at all.

Also, when I was in college (a few short weeks ago, hehe), we had Peta people sit outside of our food court with pictures of farm animals being tortured. Now, I'm all for humane treatment of farm animals, but promoting it like that is not the best way to go about it. They've actually been threatened by big guys who lost their appetites... kinda funny...
They should've taken a page from the Vegan Outreach. They handed out flyers about how to help animals like those, even if you liked to eat meat!
~J.C.
Future Groomer ^-^
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Yoshi wrote: Also, when I was in college (a few short weeks ago, hehe), we had Peta people sit outside of our food court with pictures of farm animals being tortured. Now, I'm all for humane treatment of farm animals, but promoting it like that is not the best way to go about it. They've actually been threatened by big guys who lost their appetites... kinda funny...
They should've taken a page from the Vegan Outreach. They handed out flyers about how to help animals like those, even if you liked to eat meat!

They get pictures from countries that are a lot worse for animal abuse than the UK or USA then make out they were taken in these countries.

If they had their way all animals would be turned free to fend for themselves, can you just imagine the fights and starvation that would go on.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

I've never been a fan of extremists of ANY sort. These guys give animal lovers a bad name.
They recently issued an ad (late summer or early fall) based on a brutal murder that happened here in Canada on a bus...replacing the human with an animal to make their point. The incident was covered widely in the press due to the brutality of the attack. While I'm all for equal thought towards animals can you imagine the pain the family of the young man had to deal with? This was produced less than a week after the original incident. To use someone else's tragedy in such a way was INHUMANE. They are hypocrites.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
kmandichak

Post by kmandichak »

Cracker wrote:I've never been a fan of extremists of ANY sort. These guys give animal lovers a bad name.
They recently issued an ad (late summer or early fall) based on a brutal murder that happened here in Canada on a bus...replacing the human with an animal to make their point. The incident was covered widely in the press due to the brutality of the attack. While I'm all for equal thought towards animals can you imagine the pain the family of the young man had to deal with? This was produced less than a week after the original incident. To use someone else's tragedy in such a way was INHUMANE. They are hypocrites.
What PETA did there was tasteless. Now, I don't like how PETA targets kids. Have you ever seen the titles of the books they give to kids: Your Mommy Kills Animals and Your Daddy Kills Animals.