HI

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sumrwind

HI

Post by sumrwind »

Hi, my name is sumrwind and I just joined this group. Love watching the show on animal planet=it's me or the dog. I have learned much from that show. My cherished 10 year old black lab mix died 2 weeks ago, I'm still feeling such a loss. I am grateful to still have a 2 year old pitbull mix that I saved from the vet putting her to sleep as a puppy. Stubborn breed, but gentle loving dog. Wish I could have a visit from Ms. Stilwell, but no ability to have a tape/DVD. My main concern is I can't get the pittbull in my car....She is terrified ! Major problems...can't get her meds or nails cut. sigh

glad to be here.
sumrwind :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Hi Summer,

I have an idea for you, but first a question: Does your pitlab like to go for walks and other adventures? When my dog was a puppy she was at first afraid to ride in the car, until she learned that going for rides usually leads to an adventure of some sort. Now she loves to go for rides!

So this is what I suggest, to start with: Get your dog all ready for a walk, planning definitely to go for one. Have some treats handy. Before heading off, stop by the car for a sniff, but don't open the door yet-- you don't want to spook her. Click and treat a few times, then go on your walk like you don't have a care in the world. Next day, repeat car sniff/click and treat, walk, etc. After a few days of sniff and treats, open the door, but don't ask her to get in. Put some treats on the floor or seat, just within her reach without having to get in. Click and treat some more for sniffing. Go for your walk. Over time, gradually up the ante, until she can get into the car without any fear. When she can do that, and only then, take her for a little ride-- perhaps just up the street-- where you'll park and get out for a nice long walk. Be sure to praise her generously for getting in and riding! Just make the whole thing a very positive experience.
sumrwind

thanks

Post by sumrwind »

Hey Fundog
Thanks for the reply....what an awesome idea.
Star (the pitbull) is NOT easy to walk either. She usually sits in front of me on the leash, not knowing whats going on, then she will walk, but tends to trip me...so I need to practice more walking too. Thank you for helping me, I sincerly appreciate it.

sumrwind
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

Poor Star, sounds like the whole world is a pretty overwhelming place for her. The system suggested for the car works with other things as well. Remember to use really really good food for this, not hard bikkies. The more hesistant she is the higher value the food must be. Make the pieces really really small so you can give her a lot without being "too much".
Everytime she is next to you on the leash (she just 'happens" to be there') reward her..you will find if you continue this she will be spending more andmore time at your side instead of under your feet. It takes time and patience and don't rush her. Fear is a big thing to overcome for anyone, even humans, and we UNDERSTAND why we are fearful...dogs not so much. Good luck.

And I'm sorry to hear about your other dog. I'm sure he had a great life with you and is watching you from the bridge.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
sumrwind

Thanks Cracker

Post by sumrwind »

Thanks Cracker for the suggestion. I have wondered how to get the treats that Victoria uses on her show. I will have to look around for them, or atleast find a great small training treat.
I have never owned a pitbull before. Star is a truly gentle, loving dog, but I have noticed so many different things with this breed. Fear is the major one. Example....when she sits with me, she always has her back to me, and will turn her head around to look at me...never facing me. Strange, huh? I got her as a puppy, maybe 2 months old. The police brought 2 puppies in to the vet to be put asleep, due to the owners having 2 puppies in an apartment that did NOT allow dogs. Luckily, I was at the vet in time to save one puppy. I have no clue what this puppy has gone thru since birth, I don't know if there was abuse, before she came to me. Yet, I tend to believe it is more of her breed...pitbull.
Thank you so very much for your mentioning of the death of my beloved Rosie....she sure was special. Yet, all dogs are special, aren't they?

sumrwind
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Summer, Victoria frequently uses "people treats" on her show: hot dog warmed up and cut into small bits, cooked chicken, cut up into small bits, small bits of cheese, a kong stuffed with peanut butter, allowing a lick to be "one treat." The basic premise here is, find a people food that a dog would do backflips for. My dog is so easy to please-- she even thinks a single bit of ordinary dog kibble out of my hand is a treat-- but she also likes dates and frozen peas. A lot of dogs like chopped up bits of apple, or baby carrots (my dog does not care for apples or carrots). If you're worried about over feeding your dog, for weight management concerns, you can plan ahead to do a training session just before mealtime, when the dog is hungry, and more motivated. In this way you are having the dog "earn" her dinner. When the training is over, and you dish out her regular dog food, just compensate for the amount of treats already fed, by dishing out less food.
sumrwind

Thanks

Post by sumrwind »

Thank you Fundog I really appreciate the suggestions. I need to get me one of those "kong" treats and use the peanut butter. My other dog used to love that, and I'm sure Star would too. I'm still working with Star on walking and trying the treat with the car....so far nothing has changed, but I believe in time things will work...I am grateful for any help that has already been given to me.
Happy New Year 2009.