Illness Question

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bingles

Illness Question

Post by Bingles »

Hey i was jiust wondering if dogs can pick up bugs that humans have. I have just got over some vomiting bug and today bingles has got sick a few times not loads but been very sleepy the same as i was is there a chance she could have something similar having picked it up from me.
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

There are very few "bugs" that both humans and dogs can get. Chances are she either ate something that upset her stomach or something else is going on. If she continues to vomit or has difficulty eating or having bowel movements you should have her vet see her.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Actually, there is a term for what you are thinking of: Zoonosis, or the spread of infectious disease between species, primarily between animals and humans. The most common form of zoonosis is food poisoning from eating undercooked meat, or the meat of a sick animal.

However, there are also several other diseases that can be spread either by handling an animal, or even air-borne. Some examples of this would be the Hantavirus (from mice), SARS (air-borne from birds), toxoplasmosis (commonly from cats, but can be contracted from other animals too), and ringworm. Reptiles are carriers of salmonella-- so don't let your iguana crawl on food prep surfaces, or on your shoulder before burping an infant. Rabies and West Nile Virus are two more examples of zoonosis.

Some researchers suspect that many illnesses common in humans today, including influenza and the common cold, may have originated in other species. How it works is the virus mutates before jumping to another host. Often, the human is the "end host." This also explains why a family will seemingly pass a cold around over and over all winter: When the last family member gets it, it mutates before going around again-- so really it becomes a completely different virus by the time the first family member gets it the second time. This is why they have to develop a new flu vaccine every year, by anticipating what the previous strain will mutate into.

However, Cracker is partly correct. Although it is unusual for dogs and humans to share common illnesses, it is not unheard of, and is more than likely from eating the same bad food, especially in the case of digestive upsets. Do watch him closely for dehydration. You may need to get him to a vet if he doesn't perk up soon.