Abuse? Advice?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

griffin

Abuse? Advice?

Post by griffin »

Ok, this may be difficult to view, it makes me angry, very, very angry. I have sent the link to my local animal control (yes this officer works in MY COUNTY!).... What else can I do to ensure this doesn't happen again and is NOT proper protocal for this department?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2sZ30dh ... re=related
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Besure to also contact you local Humane Society and ASPCA. Cruelty cases are their jurisdiction.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

A further update on this trainer is that he has been removed from his position, at least has far as I know.

I have some good friends on that side of the country involved with police training and this video has been hotly discussed. This is not a method that they use, though adversive methods are apart of their training program.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

That is good news, him being removed, he caused that and the dog was protecting himself. A trainer should never put a dog in that position, he really needs more than removing, he needs prosecuting for animal abuse.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I watched this video and it is most disturbing, I watched it several times and it is clear that there are others not seen giving instructions, you can hear them on the video. What I think I am seeing and hearing is that they are asserting dominance over the dog. I personally don't agree that this is the way to do it.

If anyone should have been fired it is at least the one giving the officer instructions. That being said and I know this is going to generate many response's.

Not being a K9 officer, I have no clue what these men and women face in the course of their work day, what I do know is that they depend on their K9 partners literally putting their lives in the "mouths" of these dogs. In order to do the job of protecting, they must have full control over their K9 partner, is this a good or even accepted method of haviing control, I don't know, I know it is not how I would do it with my pet.

Remember, these dogs are going into dangerous situations with people that will hit them, kick them or try to kill them. They will sometimes have a fight for life, they need to be willing to keep fighting no matter what is happening. I don't want to judge, it is not my place in seeing only this short video. Again, this is not how I would train my dog but my dog is not going out each day with the potential of being killed.

I think I would have to see the whole thing before making a decision.

Ok, I'll take the hits I know are coming.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Victoria CK9

Prey Drive

Post by Victoria CK9 »

The dog is not even trying to be dominant. The dog is in total Prey Drive and just wants to be let go so he can get the "bad guy" he isn't even biting he is just telling his handler "hey hey!!! I want to get the bad guy come on lets go!!!!) He is excited! The handler obviously doesn't know how to read his K9 and needs to go to school! Unfortunatly most k9 officers don't know enough about reading dogs and are just told how the dog is trained and the commands to use! I train personal protection k9's and have seen alot of police k9 demo's and have talked and worked with alot of military k9 handlers and police k9 handlers and unfortunatly they are more worried about their ego's and looking like bad asse's excuse my language! But that is the sad truth!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

MaiasMom wrote: Remember, these dogs are going into dangerous situations with people that will hit them, kick them or try to kill them. They will sometimes have a fight for life, they need to be willing to keep fighting no matter what is happening. I don't want to judge, it is not my place in seeing only this short video. Again, this is not how I would train my dog but my dog is not going out each day with the potential of being killed.

An Army dog trainer once told me that you have to trust a dog 100% to protect you, if you train them positively, the dog will give their life for you, if you use abuse, the dog will look after himself first and abandon you.

We hear stories of dogs saving peoples lives, these are family pets who have only known kindness, if they needed to be abused to do this, they wouldn't be family pets.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Victoria CK9

Post by Victoria CK9 »

Thats right these dogs have to get used to being kicked hit and threatened by the "Bad" guy NOT his handler, by being abused by his handler that is actually teaching the dog to back down....
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I knew I was going to take some hits for my posting. Understand, I do not agree with what this person did. Does anyone know what happened to the person coaching this guy off camera? Seems to me this person is firstly responsible for the actions of the officer he was directing. Do I think the officer should be fired? No, I do think that however that the off camera person coaching him was in command and that person was in a position to know better and should be fired. Should the office on the video be suspended and retrained by another competent trainer, yes.

you have to look a little further than what we saw here, someone else was in command of this man who and yes should have done better by the dog.

It looked to me that who ever was coaching this guy was "training" a new K9 officer and doing it so wrong, they are both guilty and by degrees.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

He could have refused to do this to the dog, if you don't think something is right you don't do it, well I don't I have to live with my conscience not the person giving the instructions.

Dogs do not need to be given proper beatens to teach them to keep attacking, there are other ways. It is constant beatings that turn dogs aggressive and is extremely dangerous to do to a dog.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I could not agree more with you AND I still feel that the person off camera needs to be held accountable as well as the one on camera. Hopefully this dog is being trained properly now with no last effects. nuf said.