Credit Crunch Casualties

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ocelot0411

Credit Crunch Casualties

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Right, I am going to be controversial today. I know that the credit crunch has hit both sides of the pond quite badly so this sound be one that everyone can relate to.

The last few days whilst I have been pottering around in the car I have heard a stroy on the radio about the fact that dog rescues have been inundated with people giving up their dogs as they can no longer afford to keep them due to the pressures of the credit crunch. Now I have a great deal of sympathy with anyone who is strugglingly financially and also I appreciate that at the moment lots of people have lost their jobs due to no fault of their own and are now at risk of having their houses repossessed. However, I have two issues with this which are as follows;

1) I cannot see the expense of keeping a dog being significant enough to tip the balance either way

2) If it were me (god forbid) evrything and I mean everything would go before Ellie.

Come on then, tell me what a horrible judgemental person I am ...................... :shock:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

We are getting more dogs into the pound now since the credit crunch, at one time they were mainly Staffies but now we are getting other breeds. We had a Ridgeback with 3 legs the other week, she was in very good condition but wasn't claimed, and often get pedigrees in now.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
deerewife

Post by deerewife »

We are seeing that around here as well. Especially around the end of each month, the shelters seem to be getting alot more surrenders and finding abandon animals tied to the front doors. People abandon their "beloved" family pet in the middle of the night so they won't have to pay a surrender fee (usually $25-$50)
The local news said one nearby shelter got 41 abandon animal in one weekend :shock: Everyday on craigslist there are people looking to rehome their pets due to financial hardship

The reporter was talking about the mortgage/ economic troubles- people losing their homes or getting evicted because they cann't afford rent and then they cann't find a new place that allows pets.

I wonder how many of these people realize that they are probably condeming their adult pet to death since the shelters simply don't have the room or money to have long term residents.
:(
It's a horrible situation, especially since the shelter donations are way down and local governments are cutting funding too. Many of the smaller local shelters are in danger of having to close. Unfortunately it's only
going to get worse for a while- they are saying that foreclosures here in the US will double by the end of 2009.

By the way- I don't think you're horrible. I would go to the ends of the earth for my furries, I made a lifetime commitment to them.
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

But for the Grace of God, go we.

It's true this financial crisis is going to affect many companion animals in this way. Very sad.
I too would do anything for my furries.
Not everyone can afford electricity, food or housing of any kind. All we can hope is that we are never in a position to have to even contemplate this sort of action.

I have a "foster" cat right now as a neighbour of mine got evicted from her apartment due to financial inability to pay..she is living in a rooming house filled with men. It is a stressful thing, can't find a job, can't find a home without a job. She is caught in the social welfare spiral (as soon as she had "no fixed address" they cut her assistance, that is SO backwards..sigh). If I had not been willing to take in BigBoy he would have gone to the humane society as well.

Yes, it is wrong to surrrender your pets at the first sign of trouble. Sometimes it is all you can do.

So as much as I get angry at the ones that suddenly decide their pets are disposable (pooheads! May they rot!) but I also know firsthand how very difficult the situation my former neighbour is in. Imagine if she had children as well!

For those of us who can help, that is all we can do. I feed my animals before I feed myself...but I also have to look at keeping a roof over my head. ONe step at a time. Keep your chins up!
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

As mentioned animals are being turned over to rescues and shelters as a result of the mortgage crisis because of changing living conditions from forclosure.

As far as cost, My 3 dogs and 2 cats cost about $200 permonth just to feed, add to that another $200 in vet care (average) that $400 per month. Granted I have 5 pets...3 dogs and 2 cats, but 400 a month is not something to just ignore.

If for some reason I lost my home, It may be difficult to find a rental property which would allow 3 large dogs, certainly no apartment would.

Please note I have absolutely no plans to give up any of my animals just merely pointing out my expenses. OUr shelters here in SOCAL have definitely seen a rise in shelter drops because of the economic condition.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I was there in the last recession, with a horse and two big dogs, and the mortgage rate climbing by the week.

Affording the horse was tough: affording the dogs was a doddle. Affording the car was murder.

I make a lifetime commitment to my animals. I kept them all. Eventually the recession ended. I lost my house but I kept my animals.

Frankly, the cost of keeping dogs is usually peanuts. Mine eat for very little. I get bones and meat from the butcher that would otherwise be thrown away, and cheap vegetables that are being sold off on their last day prior to being dumped. I get game from shooting people, most of which is not saleable and so free. The dogs also catch a lot of their own food.

I realise not everybody has the last option, but a little time and negotiation produces a surprising amount of dog food. Sometimes it is possible to take waste food from hotels if you get a little job in the kitchens or know someone.

We have no regular vet bills and vets are very good about payment by instalment if a big bill comes up (it's a recession for them as well) and one collar and lead lasts them a lifetime.

I agree that finding accommodation that takes dogs is hard, and as you have dogs on long-term medication, ckranz, that is a big and unavoidable bill.

I think many of the people dumping their dogs will still be going on holiday, drinking alcohol, going out for meals and driving where they please. I see it as an excuse to 'get rid of' a dog to which they were not fully committed.

For those who truly have no choice at all, it must be terribly hard, and my heart goes out to them, but I bet if individual cases were investigated, there would be very few of these.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I dont think that for most of these dogs it is a 'i can no longer afford' situation... its an 'i can no longer justify this cost' situation..... and those are two very different things.

Some poeples ideas of what they need... are quite odd (mind you some would say that about my ideas of what i need), and I think thats one reason we have the financial crisis we do..

People spend more on entertainment than they do on feeding themselves proper, decent food... No one mends things any more, throw it away and buy some more expensive crap that breaks...

So first to go here would be the things i dont need, Sky tv, then the tv itself, smoking.... then make more economic use of the things i do have to have, better internet deals, change where i buy my food from, take in a lodger (mine is leaving soon! grr)..
joji732

recession

Post by joji732 »

One of the things that has been gong on here in NJ is the local food banks have started stocking pet food as well as human food in order to help people keep their pets. We had a pet food drive at the office to help out - just a thought.
deerewife

Post by deerewife »

I did hear that the Meals-on Wheels program in Madison,WI is working with some of the pet warehouse chains to provide Kibble-on-Wheels. For those of you not familar with Meals-on-Wheels, they are a organization that delivers a hot meal to shut-in senior citizens or disabled individuals.

The delivery drivers realized that many of their clients were sharing their dinner plate with their pet. Most of these people live alone and this is their only meal. Meals-on-Wheels recognized how important companion animals are to their clients, now the drivers deliver a bag of kibble with the dinners.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Petco in the us also sponsors a program called animeals which is a food bank for pets much like meals on wheels and for the less fortunate.

While I am not overly fond of many of the cheaper pet foods, in an effort to save money for my own family I am an avid coupon clipper. I usually wait until good sales when I can get this food for almost nothing and donate to petco's program....I figure puppy chow is better than no chow.

This year alone I would estimate that I have donated almost 500lbs of pet food both wet and dry to this program. In some cases for people I know who have been affected greatly by this recession, I have given them cat food for their cats that I have managed to get a no cost or very minimal cost.

Emma, at least at my local shelter, I have seen too many people have to give their pets up for loss of their home. There are very few apartments which allow dogs over 50 lbs, or multiple dogs. There are also many breed restrictions in townhomes, condos and apartments. While I agree that there are perhaps somethings a few people would be able to do to cut expenses to stay in their home and keep their dog, most seem to be looking for a bailout and their homes are being seized.

Of course at holiday times you also have the people using shelters as a boarding facility. Bring the dog in as a "stray" and then claim it in a few days when they get back.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Since hubby passed away I can no longer afford to live in this house, it is up for sale but people are not buying at the moment.

I can't afford to heat this house, I have shut off as many rooms as I can, just heating the livingroom, 1 bedroom, kitchen and bathroom, that has to have the heating on, in the UK, you can't turn off bathroom radiators. The heating is turned down, I am fine when working but sitting I have a blanket round me to keep me warm. My dogs all have coats and jumpers so they don't get cold.

There have been times when all I have been able to eat has been cereal, my dogs food has never changed, there is always plenty of food for them. There insurance is also paid.

There will be people who do need to have to let their pets go, but how they do it is very important, abandoning them to whatever happens shouldn't happen, they own their pets to do the best for them even when giving them up.

Many people are not prepared to give anything up, especially for their pets, people like us will give everything up for our pets.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

I know I would split my last can of soup between the 3 of mine.
fantasia

no shelter here...

Post by fantasia »

I've just moved to AR and the dog shelter has closed down here, it seems to be common for people to abandon their pets when things get tough. I live just out of town (next to the woods) and it's a hot spot for people dumping their pets. I'm worried! We've already adopted Mozart (he landed on our doorstep 4 months ago) my friend nearby has taken in two - there's no help, no shelter what do we do when the next one comes along? Poor dogs. We cut back to be able to afford to keep Mozart (we have another dog too) and have no regrets but what next....
All my children have paws :)
cindynok

Post by cindynok »

Hello,
The shelters seem to be full, I have seen all kinds of pure breads with even actual date of birth being offered. In Oklahoma we are suppose to be in better financial shape than alot of the US. Still the price of flour, bread etc has nearly doubled in the past year. The dogs still get the same food, treats and toys. The bobcat eats a lb of ground chicken or turkey a day.
We have beans once a week and pancakes and eggs another. We get our own eggs from the chickens. Oh and potato or another type of homemade soup another day. Many times we spend more on the dogs than ourselves. But we are still ok, and I know the pets get what they need. The cows beller every morning and hubby goes out with feed or hay. Being a pet around here has it's benefits.
Although I would like to have another dog, I have thought it thru. It is not only food, but advantage, heartworm preventive, food, and of course vet bills. I don't want to take on something that would cause me to have to budget even more.
We have a rent home in town. Most of the rent goes to payments. I do not allow pets--yes me the animal lover. In the past I have spent hundreds of dollars repairing damage, let alone neighbors complaining about the renters dogs. I cannot affor the cost even involved to me.
Last time the home was for lease I had several calls -please let me rent with my dogs, I lost my home. I had to say no.
The economy is tough for many but go into a petsmart and you would never guess there are any problems. People do love their pets.
Hugs,
Cindy
Cindy from Oklahoma
Autumn

Post by Autumn »

Thank God for my kids!
Autumn has Lymphoma. Not treating/letting her go, etc. are not options.
My 19 yr old son I'm not real surprised by, but my 13 yr old autistic son....

When she was diagnosed in Oct. I told them we were going to have to cut back on things and do without some things because of the cost of chemo treatments, and meds, etc.

Then husband hurt his shoulder and can't work probably until after Christmas so we're not getting the overtime he was scheduled. I always used that o.t pay for Christmas. sigh

Shut off notice for electricity came in and I had to tell them about that too. Had to be honest and let them know that I'm clueless about Christmas this year now.

Husband the schmuck says to just put the dog down and be done with it.

My kids!?
They keep telling me, "Just make sure Autumn is alive and happy when we get up and Christmas will be fine."

Yep, I'm another whose beloved pet you will never see in a shelter!
We may not always be able to give them the "best" but they're with us...not in a cage somewhere...and they know they're loved.