Any exerience with Kennel Cough

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

fantasia

Any exerience with Kennel Cough

Post by fantasia »

I think my puppy has Kennel Cough, does anyone have any experience or advice please.
All my children have paws :)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I give my dogs cough witches brew when they start coughing, it is easy to make and does relieve the cough for the dogs. I also take it myself when I have a cough as well. My dogs love it and will lap it off a spoon.

Get a liqurice root from a health shop and break it into 3 or 4 pieces and put them into a jug.

Pour over 1 pint of boiling water and leave to steep for 10 minutes.

Take the liqurice root out and put to one side to dry, it can be used several times.

Add honey to the liquid, whisky can be added for us humans. :wink:

For a collie size dog about 1 tablespoon 4 or 5 times a day will help relieve the coughing. Reduce this for smaller dogs, increase it a bit for bigger dogs.

There is nothing in this to do any damage, if they cough shows no signs of getting better, take your dog to the vet to make sure it isn't anything more serious. I gave Joe 2 days before taking him to the vets.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
fantasia

Now my other dog has it too....

Post by fantasia »

Thanks for the advice - I will print this off and try this if they get it again. or indeed myself! Mozart ( bluetick hound puppy) is a bit better today but Dakota (5 year old lab/husky) if hacking and retching and was really grumpy this morning. I called my vet and she has mixed me up a "potion" to ease it. I was pretty worried but I guess it's just like a cold in us humans.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Another option is an organic formula from Amber Technology Called Pets Cough and Cold formula.

It has worked well to alleviate the symptoms.
Last edited by ckranz on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

When we adopted our dog she had kennel cough, contracted while in the shelter. Indeed, it is just like a common cold in humans, as there is nothing to make it go away, except time (about a month). It is also highly contagious, but there is a vaccine (Bordetella). Most kennels and groomers require dogs to have this vaccine before allowing them in their facilities. It is a good idea, because in dogs with weak immune systems, kennel cough can lead to complications such as bronchitis or even pneumonia.
fantasia

Update - dogs on mend

Post by fantasia »

My friends dogs have also developed the "cough" and took their dogs to the vet and they were given injections. He's saying it's not Kennel cough but a virus/infection. Good News though is that Mozart is fine today and Dakota is a bit better. It's less worrying sharing your comments with others - thanks guys!
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

The stuff I mentioned from amber tech is not specific to kennel cough but coughing in general so if your dogs are still symptomatic it might be worth looking into.
fantasia

Amber Technology

Post by fantasia »

Thanks ckranz, I've earmarked the site, they sell lots of good products!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Many of the boarding kennels like you to have your dog vaccinated for kennel cough but it doesn't cover all the various coughs, only some.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]