Neighbor's Dogs Bark At Me

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BirdyJ

Neighbor's Dogs Bark At Me

Post by BirdyJ »

I do not have a dog at this time but I still have a dog problem!

Whenever I am in my backyard, the neighbors two dogs bark at me and set off all the other dogs in the neighborhood. These dogs are in a backyard that is located below mine on another street, I do not know the people and am not likely to get to know them.

I have tried turning my back to the dogs when they bark and this works for a moment but as soon as I move again, they are at it again. Are there any other techniques I can use to minimize their barking? It is really making enjoying my backyard a problem!
griffin

Post by griffin »

Well, there is not much you can do with the dogs. I my self have a pup who barks at my neighbors, well, two of the three houses that next to or in back of me. One set, he just does not like and I have no idea why. They've never done anything to him, other than say hi...

The other, in back, has small kids who used to and still do when they THINK I am not out there with him, tease him..

The third, Eddie doesn't bark any more at him or his wife.

He stopped when I introduced him to them and reassure Eddie everything is OK.

Your only real chance and the only right way to do this is to talk to your neighbors. Let them know this is not acceptable in a kind way. Nuisance laws, depending on State and even Country, do exist and those pups are breaking the law.

They are simply saying 1) hello, 2) we are here 3) this is our territory-stay away.

You can try a few things. First, next time you are out there, just say hello to them in a clam, child like voice. Tell them good dogs and then walk away. Since they are not your dogs, treats are not a good idea, you do not know what medial conditions they might have. Each time you go out, speak to them, ignoring them will only get them to bark more, to get your attention.

Speak to the neighbors as I said. Just knock on the door, let them know and if they do not know how to stop the dogs tell them this...

They must go out in the yard with the dogs, when you are in your yard. Let them bark once or twice, thrice if preferred (what I do) so the dogs can do what their instincts tell them. Once the dogs bark 1, 2, 3 times, have the owners give the command to stop, Eventually, a few days, a week, two weeks, all dogs are different and pending the amount of training they do have, the dogs will stop barking, all the time.

You can look in to a privacy fence, that MIGHT help, but could be costly. Speaking to the neighbors is the best way to handle this. If they refuse, pending the laws in your state, you can report them, though this usually leads to a poor relationship.

I know how unnerving this can be, I once had a neighbor whose dogs would bark all the time when I was out and I spend a lot of time outside. I ended up talking with the neighbors, made friends with the dog and all was well. Best of luck to you.
pro-ecollar

Post by pro-ecollar »

Have you tried telling them "good dog" or feeding them treats?

Paul
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Talk to your neighbors including the owner. The owners may not be aware of the problem especially if it only occurs when they are our. Find out if other people are having problems with these dogs as well. Complaints such as these need to come from multipe neighbors for police to be able to officially register a complaint. I would try working it out with the dog's owner's if possible and use the complaint report only if the owner is unwilling to do anything abou their dog.

Do not feed treat to this dog as you do not know the medical condition of this dog. It could have severe allergies, or pancreatits or some other medical condition to which your treats could have a seriously negative impact. Also with the number of some product recalls due to melamine and other such chemicals you may forget that some of the treats when to your neighbor's dog, or even be looking for dof product recalls as you do not own one.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I had this problem with my neighbour's four children. I'd far rather be barked at :evil:

Luckily I moved. But my back garden was a no-go area for three years.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

pro-ecollar wrote:Have you tried telling them "good dog" or feeding them treats?

Paul
Never give someone else's dogs treats without their permission, I have a dog that if given the wrong food could cause him to have seizures. You don't know if the dog has something wrong with him that could cause a lot of problems.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

You could try putting boards up against that side of the fence.
BirdyJ

Post by BirdyJ »

No I would not think of giving them treats. Besides, I don't think I could throw them that far! A picture is worth a thousand words:

As you can see here, there are actually two fences inbetween (my cyclone fence with a thick hedge and their 6' high wood one) and a rather steep hillside.

These two are very alert to my every move my backyard, even when I cannot actually see them. I do talk to them but there is no occasion to say "Good Dog" because they NEVER STOP BARKING!! And, when they bark they set off the "Yip-dog" up the street and the "Howl-dog" across the street.

I guess these guys are good watchdogs and they are needed for that purpose on that street. It is on the edge of being a "bad neighbohood" with thefts and vandalism not uncommon. That's part of the reason I hesitate to make aquaintance with the people there as I just don't know if they are good folks or part of the problem! Maybe an initial contact by mail would be prudent?
Last edited by BirdyJ on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

I have the same problem. My neighbors however do not see the problem with their dogs. The have a staffordshire who isn't well socialized and jumps up the 6 foot fence where half of his body is visible. He isn't well socialized with humans or dogs and I fear one of these days poor Belgian will get it. The neighbors have a American Pitbull Terrier who is actually a sweetheart and the Staffy used to be a sweetheart too but then he got older and confined to a much smaller space with no excerisse or training and he became aggresive and it is scary when out walking.

Good Luck. I know what you are feeling too because it sometimes can be quite annoying and quite scary seeing this.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
pro-ecollar

Post by pro-ecollar »

Mattie wrote:
pro-ecollar wrote:Have you tried telling them "good dog" or feeding them treats?

Paul
Never give someone else's dogs treats without their permission, I have a dog that if given the wrong food could cause him to have seizures. You don't know if the dog has something wrong with him that could cause a lot of problems.
No kidding? So what would you do with constant barking dogs?

Paul
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

As mentioned. Talk to your neighbor. Inform them of the problem barking.

It is not your job to train your neighbor's dog, that is the responsibility of the neighbor.

If this cannot be resolved through talking with the neigbor, file complaints based upon local noise ordinances. You may need several other neighbors to also file complaints.

Make recordings of the noise level, frequency and duration.

Again it is not one's job to train their neighbor's dog.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

Ckranz-
In my case many people have already formed comlaints and many of us have already talked to the owners. However our animal control sucks and they do not see this as a problem. Someone is going to try the HOA if the neighbors don't train the dog.

I am not filling out anything to the HOA for a little while because the neighbors have already been informed if they didn't train the dog then the HOA will be contacted.

All the dog needs is socialization and excerise and he will be fine. Right now though is just a accident waiting to happen.

pro e-collar-
We are only responsible for our own dogs. Not anyone else's. If you give treats to a neighbor dog especially with all the recalls going around then you can be dangering your neighbor's dogs life. I would rather listen to a dog bark then kill it. I don't know about you though.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
pro-ecollar

Post by pro-ecollar »

So how would one go about stopping their own dog from barking like this? Obviously I was joking about feeding the dogs, apparently the humor didn't come through...

Paul Cantrell
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

pro-ecollar wrote:
Mattie wrote:

Paul
No kidding? So what would you do with constant barking dogs?

Paul

My responsibilty is to my dogs not someone elses and all 6 of my dogs stop barking on command. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
dogluver

Post by dogluver »

Those dogs have built up energy because they are never taken out for walks, and they are letting out their frustration at you. So i also think giving them treats is good way to bond with them.