Hm?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ry

Hm?

Post by Ry »

I wasn't sure where to put this at, so I'll ask. My neighbor's dog has this strange growth on him. Now the dog is old, around as old as my dog. I'd say maybe 10-12 years old? Anyways, this growth has been there for a few years I've noticed. I've also noticed that it seems to be getting larger. It's in his groin area. Specifically, near the um...well male anatomy. The dog is a cocker spaniel. This hits home for me more so because I also have a cocker spaniel. The dog doesn't appear to be affected by this growth what so ever though. Is this something she should be worried about? Is this something my dog could get? If the dog is showing no sign of pain or otherwise effected by it, what should be done? We're both at a loss to figure out what it is or what to do about it. She has also told that if it is something serious, she doesn't know what she'll do. She doesn't have a bunch of money to put out for testing and treatment. Since the dog is old too, it could be traumatising for it, y'know? Anyone have any ideas?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Most likely its a fatty mass. they are common in older dogs. To be sure though the dog should be seen by a vet and the mass tested, either through aspiration or biopsy.

Until you know what it is you cannot do much more than worry about it. The exams and testing are not that expensive and are worth your piece of mind.
thenerdycyclist

Post by thenerdycyclist »

I'd take it to a vet to be checked out just in case.

If it's a lump that doesn't seem to affect the dog, it's probably a fatty mass. My 13 y/o Rat Terrier has a fatty mass above her left leg that doesn't affect her.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Always get lumps checked out especially if they are getting larger, once you know what the problem is, you can then make the right decision for your dog.

Many dogs don't show pain, they continue as if they are pain free, we owe it to our dogs to make sure that they are not hiding pain. My 16 year old dog was having problems walking, I took her to the vet to find out what was wrong and then made the decision not to operate but to put her on Metacam and take her to hydrotherapy. At her age I won't put her through an operation unless it meant life or death, I would probably let her go then.

One of my dogs came into the pound with 2 very large tumours on her, one on a front leg the other on her side. As she was about 10 years old Rochdale Dog Rescue picked up from the pound and took her straight to the vet to have these taken off. The first picture is Ellie as she came into the pound showing the tumour on her front leg, the second is Ellie 8 weeks later.

You can't make the right decision for your dog if you don't know what is wrong.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]