Idea for Responsible Pet Ownership Promotion

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Yoshi

Idea for Responsible Pet Ownership Promotion

Post by Yoshi »

There have been quite a few events in my area--as well as the dog world in general--that have prompted me to become a stronger advocate for better pet care. One way I plan to do this is by writing and printing pamphlets for my shelter and handing them out to potential adopters. So far, the topic list is as follows:

"Spray Bottles: For Cleaning Tabletops, Not Dog Behavior" - explains why and how this aversive method can add to a dog's fear and create additional problems

"The Dominance Hype" - covers myths surrounding dominance and explains why the methods are potentially dangerous

"Positive Training Yields PAWsitive Results!" - explains reward/clickers while highlighting the benefits

"Choke Collars - Death Loops?" - contains diagrams of what a choke collar does to a dog's throat, and why its use is ineffective

" 'When Dogs Were Wolves' and Other Myths" - the truth behind popular dog myths (dogs are wolves, some breeds lock their jaws, etc.)

"Help Your Groomer Help Your Dog and Vice Versa" - tips for selecting a groomer; how to get your dog used to being handled at the salon

These are based on the most common problems I've seen lately. Obviously, these pamphlets are meant to cover the topic briefly; they'll suggest authors like Victoria for further information.

What does everyone think of this idea?
~J.C.
Future Groomer ^-^
Bro. Dave, OBB

Re: Idea for Responsible Pet Ownership Promotion

Post by Bro. Dave, OBB »

I think that in general the concept and intent are good and well intended. I would caution you, however, to present balanced information regarding the individual subjects. In taking on such a project it is easy to let the content and direction reflect our own prejudices on the matter and obscure objectivity.

For example:

"The Dominance Hype" While I'd agree that there is a lot of hype, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a false concept. The title suggests a definition of dominance in it's strongest form. That is to control or coerce by means of physical force. Many, if not most, trainers and behaviorists consider dominance is a milder sense. That is, as having the right to give orders or make decisions for your dog. We are, after all, responsible for our pets actions as well as their well being. Dominance doesn't necessarily have to mean a sever physical or mental behavior. Dominance, when it comes to how it should be applied to our pets, could and should be perceived as exercising a level of control sufficient to establish clear positions or rank between owner and pet. Dominance doesn't have to be a horrible thing.

"Choke Collars - Death Loops?" The title appears more of a scare tactic than an introduction to the dangers of choke collars. Might I suggest something more along the lines of "Choke Collars, their use, misuse, and abuse." Like many things 'dog', the slip ring collar can have it's place, but it is often a matter of understanding the tool and using it properly. Present diagrams of the damage improper use can inflict. But consider including a diagram or two of the proper way to place and fit a choke collar along with a strong admonition to learn about it's proper use before trying or using one. They can be dangerous, no doubt about it. But they can also be a safe training tool with proper education and understanding.

"When Dogs Were Wolves' and Other Myths" Be sure of your research before going out on this limb. It seems that the jury is still out on this "wolf" ancestor thing but it is leaning definitely towards the wolf. Recent mitochondrial examinations clearly tie dogs back to wolves, but much earlier in time than usually thought. Possibly as far as 60,000 years or even 100,000 years, rather than the 14,000 years typically attributed. Be that as it may, the genetic diversity found within dogs clearly separates them from the wolf far enough back in pre history so as to clearly distinguish them from the wolf. Your point is well taken in this vein: Because there is wolf in the dogs ancestry it doesn't mean that dogs are wolves and are behaviorally the same.

I'm not trying to lecture or change your mind, although I think I might be perceived that way. But you did ask what we thought about your idea. It's a good idea, albeit possibly a bit unbalanced in application. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if were me then I would try for a more balanced approach, a pros and cons presentation. Lean towards one side ot the other if you want, but a modicum of balance will add more credence to your pamphlet. Make it too dogmatic and more will end up in the trash unread than might be otherwise.
Bro. Dave, OBB
Green Bay Monastery
Mattie

Re: Idea for Responsible Pet Ownership Promotion

Post by Mattie »

Bro. Dave, OBB wrote: Dominance, when it comes to how it should be applied to our pets, could and should be perceived as exercising a level of control sufficient to establish clear positions or rank between owner and pet. Dominance doesn't have to be a horrible thing.
The word "Dominance" means differently to some than others, it should mean influencing or commanding but often it seems to relate to permission to bully and abuse.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if were me then I would try for a more balanced approach, a pros and cons presentation. Lean towards one side ot the other if you want, but a modicum of balance will add more credence to your pamphlet. Make it too dogmatic and more will end up in the trash unread than might be otherwise.
I agree with you, when issuing leaflets like this they do have to be quite balanced or people won't bother with them.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
joji732

dominance

Post by joji732 »

Funny - when I read the dominance item, I thought the OP was talking about all of the misinformation about dogs trying to dominate humans...
Bro. Dave, OBB

Post by Bro. Dave, OBB »

That's interesting, and also a good example as to why pamphlets need to be clearly defined and balanced.

When I read the post I immediately thought of it referring to the human dominating the dog, i.e. a misplaced, mistimed, overly agressive "Alpha Roll", which too many people tend to take to extremes.

Your take on the post is also good, or at the very least something worth discussing the behaviors involved.
Bro. Dave, OBB
Green Bay Monastery
pro-ecollar

Post by pro-ecollar »

Bro. Dave, you on thin ice promoting balance and reasoning on these subjects.

Paul
Bro. Dave, OBB

Post by Bro. Dave, OBB »

I have broad shoulders to help me bear up under the burden. :)

I can be very opinionated and one sided all to easily, though. It's not always easy to accept the fact that even though I sound like a know-it-all, even I have to admit that I really don't. But when it comes to others, well people who think they know it all can really aggravate those of us who do. :twisted:

I will take your warning to heart and try to mend my ways. I will make every effort to present my answers an as much of a one-sided and myopic way as I am capable.
Bro. Dave, OBB
Green Bay Monastery
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

pro-ecollar wrote:Bro. Dave, you on thin ice promoting balance and reasoning on these subjects.

Paul

You either didn't bother to read my post or are deliberately trying to cause trouble. I have been very impressed with Bro Dave's posts up to know, can't say the same for someone else. :wink:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Bro. Dave, OBB

Post by Bro. Dave, OBB »

Mattie,

I believe his post was made in jest. At least that's the way I took it and I answered in the same vein.
Bro. Dave, OBB
Green Bay Monastery
pro-ecollar

Post by pro-ecollar »

Mattie wrote:
pro-ecollar wrote:Bro. Dave, you on thin ice promoting balance and reasoning on these subjects.

Paul

You either didn't bother to read my post or are deliberately trying to cause trouble. I have been very impressed with Bro Dave's posts up to know, can't say the same for someone else. :wink:
I don't recall my post being pointed at you. He suggested balance and appropriate use of training tools that I have been warned against discussing on this board. Just passing on some friendly advice to Bro. Dave that he needs to be carefull.

Paul
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Bro. Dave, OBB wrote:Mattie,

I believe his post was made in jest. At least that's the way I took it and I answered in the same vein.

He keeps having pop shots at the way we train our dogs Bro. Dave, this just looked like another.
pro-ecollar

Post by pro-ecollar »

I have made a point of not being personal. Disagreeing with some training methods is not "taking pop shots." Sorry you take it that way.

Paul
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Sorry for my long absence!

This is all great feedback. Keep in mind that this project is in the absolute earliest stage, so it will sound very unbalanced right now.

Yes, I was referring to dominance-based training methods that go out of hand. I don't think dominance has to be a dirty word; I take it as the social structure, not as trying to overpower a dog with force (got into a debate about this on the groomer boards), and I intend to illustrate this point. Actually, I was going to call this one "The Truth About Dominance", but Patricia McConnell beat me to it :wink:

I like the idea of showing how choke collars CAN be used for good, like at a dog show. Too often though I see the old-school "yank and crank" use, and I find it appalling. I have reason to believe that my own dog was treated this way before he arrived at the shelter - he wheezes horribly if he tries to pull on a collar, and can be sensitive about his neck being touched (but doing much better!). I guess all of that's why my view was so narrow.

I've done a bit more research on relating dogs to wolves, and I found it interesting how close their DNA actually is. I found a lot of people around here do get confused over that though, and believe that the dog really is a wolf, and therefore should be treated more like one. Perhaps a title tweak, such as "My Dog Is a Wolf! and Other Myths" maybe?

Once again, thanks everyone for your feedback! This is why I posted these examples here, in order to get everyone's $0.02 and make them as informative and effective as possible :D
~J.C.
Future Groomer ^-^
PSnyder

Post by PSnyder »

I'm new here and just now going through various topics of interest. The idea of info pamphlets is a good one, but I agree that balance is a necessity in preparing and presenting them. Pros and cons on each subject addressed might be a good idea and it is essential to point out that each pet has its own personality quirks as well as breed traits that should be taken into consideration. Though many rescues are mixed breeds, they sometimes have dominant breed genes that partially dictate their personality and behavior. Accordingly, adult rescue animals come with their own particular baggage and some of it isn't pleasant. The younger the animal the easier it is to retrain, but adult rescue pets can be a challenge, especially if that animal has been traumatized in any way, be it physically or emotionally. Fear is the hardest to overcome despite the tricks of the trade that we so often hear. Most important and a precursor to any information in your pamphlet, patience and awareness should be emphasized as possibly the most valuable tool anyone can use in retraining a pet.