Beds for chewers?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lightning

Beds for chewers?

Post by Lightning »

Could anyone recommend bedding for a heavy chewer? I've even tried to give my puppy, carpet bedding and he ripped that up! >_<
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

I know I feel your pain. Bingles will eat anything. I brought her loads of beds but have now given up tll she is a bit older she now has a plastic bed with fleese type blankets down which so far she just sleeps on. I think there is a website for heavy duty dog beds but Im sure with enough persiverance it could still be distroyed..
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Does your pup sleep in a crate? Mine was a chewer so we didn't put any bedding in his crate until we could trust him not to chew on his bed overnight. Would that be a suitable option for you, or would you insist that your pup sleep on something soft?
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Noobs wrote:Does your pup sleep in a crate? Mine was a chewer so we didn't put any bedding in his crate until we could trust him not to chew on his bed overnight. Would that be a suitable option for you, or would you insist that your pup sleep on something soft?
I'd like it for him to sleep on something soft but can stand against his chewing.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Have you considered giving him a Kong toy or something in bed so that he can chew on that instead? Is he nice and tired by the time he goes to bed? Mine stopped chewing eventually but it took us increasing his exercise, giving him lots of chew toys - to the point where if he wasn't eating or sleeping or exercising, he was chewing on a toy. (Slight exaggeration, but it felt like that at times!) Do you think the only solution is getting a chew-resistant bed -- so basically anything I'm saying here is useless to you? :wink:
Chloe&Atlas'smom

Post by Chloe&Atlas'smom »

Both my dogs sleep in crates without beds because they are puppies, puppies chew and chew and chew. I give them kongs and chew toys. Beds for dogs (I read somewhere on here) are best for when the dog gets older and not prone to destroy it.
Dixieqt

Post by Dixieqt »

I also feel your pain.
My 3 dogs are outside dogs. When I 1st got Sadie I had a pillow in each of there dog houses and in the morning time the pillows would be in yard and all the stuffing out of them. :shock: So now, I have all 3 dogs house with 4 blankets in them, but I drilled a hole in the bottom of the house and anchored the blankets to the house. Now the blankets stay in the house for good. :lol: