Your prayers and thoughts are needed tonight

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

lablver2 wrote:Thank you everyone. Suprisingly my friend seemed fine today but that was only on the outside and if you knew her as well as I do you know that she was very indeed hurting. Her grandfather right now is still alive and they are at the hospital.

Edited: I just found out why poor Roger died. He died of something called a colic. It kills alot of horses. There is a $5000 surgery involved to try and make it better but survival rate is low. Unfortunatley in Roger's case the colic was so big the surgery would be over $20000 and he would of more then unlikley ended up dead. They humanely euthanized him after everyone got to say their goodbyes.

Thank you everyone
colic is nasty, one of its primary causes is horses eating grass clippings. At least they had a vet on hand and they could humanly end his suffering.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

Yea. Tonight my friend was going through some depression. Her boy friend and I quickly turned that around as we really do not know what would happen if she got too depressed. She is crushed, sad but at the same time happy knowing Roger will never be sick again.

I don't know too much about Colic or horses. I do know this is my friend's first horse and they both used to show as well. This was really unexpected and sudden. I wish I was able to be with her at the stables when they put him down but I'm glad I can be here to help her out through this tough time.

UPDATE: The grandpa is still fine but is still in the hospital.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

lablver2 wrote:
I don't know too much about Colic or horses. I do know this is my friend's first horse and they both used to show as well. This was really unexpected and sudden. I wish I was able to be with her at the stables when they put him down but I'm glad I can be here to help her out through this tough time.

UPDATE: The grandpa is still fine but is still in the hospital.

Colic is the same or similar to bloat in dogs and they can both get a twisted gut. A dog's gut is a lot shorter than a horse's which is why horses get it more.

Like the success rate with horses that get colic, many dogs die when the get bloat, I was lucky with my Greyhound, he pulled through.

Ways of avoiding both are feed little and often, a minimum of twice a day, my dogs get fed 3 times a day and I have found it to be much better.

Changing foods, this must be done slowly over a period of about 2 weeks.

There are many similarities between horses and dogs, including training them. :lol:

I am pleased her grandpa is fine and hope he continues to improve.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

Really? They are like dogs. I have another friend with 2 horses ( one is a rescue one is one that they bred) and she calls them her oversized Great Danes.

I never feed Belgian a hour before or after excersise and feed him twice a day. Thankfully he has never bloated. I am always on the alert though. He is also suprisingly a slow eater so that does help prevent it.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood