Your thoughts and wishes and prayers are needed

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

Your thoughts and wishes and prayers are needed

Post by ckranz »

There is currently a wildfire burning near the agility field where I train Khan and Apollo. It looks like things are getting under control, but everyone's thoughts, prayers and support for the SOCAL firefighters are needed.

Last week during our class Weds when the fire was not so close, there was an eiree glow. Thus far everything seems ok in the area, but the residents there are under a mandatory evacuation.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Awful situation. :cry: Hope matters improve soon.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

It was on our news but I hadn't realised that anyone would be close enough to it.

I hope these fires are soon out and nobody gets hurt.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

its a wonderful seasonal occurance isn't it? Wildfires in the western states, tornado's through the midwest, and hurricanes through the south/ southeast...
ugghhh...
we had some nasty fires here in the NW this summer, sadly lots of lightning storms sent up hundreds of acres of ripe wheat, along with a dozen or more homes north of where I live. luckily no one was hurt as everyone evacuated as directed and there was enough time to get livestock and pets out.

Thoughts and prayers to you guys in California
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Chloe&Atlas'smom

Post by Chloe&Atlas'smom »

we are thinking of you!! I have a friend in 29 Palms and he always lets me know where the fires are and how things are going. Be safe
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Thank you everyone. Many of the fires are now showing signigicant signs of containment which is good.

While its still a good distance away, the closest fire to my home is the shockley fire which is 70% contained.

We have been fortunate that the winds have not been blowing smoke and debris in our direction.
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

How awful, hope the fire is under control now, our thoughts and prayers are with you, keep yourselves safe xx
dobiemuse

Post by dobiemuse »

Fires! :eek: Hope you are still doing well.
dodger44

Post by dodger44 »

I hate these fires that are going on. Wasn't real long ago and we had a fire up close to our house. It was only a mile away with the wind blowing towards us at 50 miles an hour. Yep that was pretty scary when the police called and told us to be ready to evactuate and have all our animals near by. Luckily they got it under control and out before it reached our house.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

My mother works for the OCFA ( Orange County Fire Authority) and because of the fires they are not permitted any vaction time and are red flag alerts.

We will be praying for you guys. Our idiots I mean council members decided to build a road ( If you are familiar with the Foothill connection that's it) behind the hills ( right through the middle of the Cleaveland National Forest) which are on the front and to the side of my house. The forest is very dry and we know there is going to be a fire. We all just feel it. Gas and dry dead stuff do not mix well. I have my evacuation bags packed and ready to go just in case. My jeeps aren't being covered at all and my truck is all gassed up and ready to go. I am actually going to Nevada this weekend to go to a concert and meet up with some family. Sadly I can't bring my Belgian so our neighbors are going to watch him. They know where the bags are and are prepared in case anything happens.

When I evacuate or know I am on a red flag alert I do the following.

ID collars are on at all times and leash and harnesses are right next to the door for quick access. I even keep the leash on him in the car just in case.
I have a bag for Belgian and inside I keep all these things
-It has copies of all his records.
-akc certification copies
- extra leash
-extra collar
- travel bowls
-favorite toys
-blanket with smells of home
- large ziploc bags of dry dog food ( i replace this bag every time i get new food)
- I keep cold water bottles at all times in the fridge to pack away
-detailed photos in case Belgian and I get seperated
-Right next to the bag I have his kennel (aka crate) folded away and ready to pack.
-I also have a safe which I put original copies of important documents and pictures.

I just figured I would put out what I do on a red flag alert.

We are praying for you guys. We are really afraid of this season. We have a really bad feeling.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Having 3 dogs and 2 cats with the occasion group of fosters I have the following ready at all times.

Water: I have a 5 day supply of water for animals and people.
Food: I always have 1 full bag of kibble + the lockable bin that sotres the current bag....Cats have a store of both canned and dry food.
Crates: I have 1 large crate and to medium crates and straps to secure them in the truck. (The dogs will ride with me in the carr though and the cats will be in the truck. Our cats have a small crate for both of them and fosters have 1-2 carriers

Litterbox and litter 2 week supply
Dry stores and can goods for people and a can opener
My easyup shade and stakes to provide temp shelter if needed.
Maps and scheduled check points for my wife and I to meet up should we get separated.

Leashes and collars are kept at the door. All pets are microchipped. Reigistrations with agility groups are kept online.

We can be packed and ready in 10 minutes....we had a lot of practice in 2007 during the witchcreek fire

These were taken last year during the witchcreek fire (Only after the car and truck were packed with our "Oh Crap packs" The were taken from my front yard. We were about 7 miles from that mountain and watched it burn down the hill over a 2 hour period of time. Fortunately around 4:30am the wind shifted giving firefighters the edge in stopping the fires progress.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

about a year before I got Belgian there was a huge fire in front of our home. Our home was actually the firefighters staging area. I have pictures of it just not on the computer. Since that fire I can have all my things in the car in over 5 minutes. Everything is all set. Last year we would of had to evacuate if the winds shifted. That was really scary.

ckranz being we both live in southern CA ( the capital of wildfires in my opinion) we should both combine our packing lists for others to follow. LOL. I am a freak about fires. As much as I don't want my house to burn I might sound odd when saying this but I love the excitement involved. Our neighbors and I are very close and we all help each other. This year I am scared though because of the foothill connection. It scares the heck out of me.

I have always belived better be prepared and safe then never
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood