Moving house

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katowaggytail

Moving house

Post by katowaggytail »

I know there is a thread on this site somewhere, but I can't find it!

Sooo after over a year on the market we are in the process of selling/buying and I'm just wondering about how to make it easier for the ginger one.

I remember about the smelly bed, (think it was Dober Princess) and the DAP, just are there any other ideas out there, he is... as all Ridgies are a sensitive soul... He had slept in other places before.. on sleepovas!! and will be going to my mums on the day....

any other ideas chaps?

Fi
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

As I did not have dogs before my last move I am not sure if this might help (I did have cats).

The first couple of days (while we were getting things unloaded an dunpacked that cats had this....you better get outta here before the owners get home attitude and were very clingy until we unpacked our couches (at the time that is where they spent most of their day).

Once the couches came out they seemed to think wow this is a nice big place and its ours.

The point I am making is perhaps have them boarded/kenneled until you get most of your furniture and familiar items (to your dogs) unpacked. This will provide some familiar smells andsights to help them relax easier.
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

Poor Molly has moved so many times...
I make it a game for her, keep her familiar things handy, her crate and bowl, her blankets covered in her hair.
I keep her on a leash in the new house and walk her around like its no big deal. walk her out and around the yard. let her smell things, then I let her off lead and let her follow me around for a bit, show her where her "bed" (crate) and food is, let her follow me in and out the door a few dozen times so she knows where the door to "outside" is. then we play a mad dash game of fetch in the new yard.

but like I said, she's moved with me 4 times in a little over three years. So she's and old hand at this stuff...
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Thanks chaps,

maybe a sleepova for one night at Nan's may be the answer as Kenneling is a no go zone - he was in one for over 6 months and I don't want any "flash backs"!

Still early days, but I'm forward planning to try and do the best I can. The bed idea is good when we stay over at friends he's ok as soon as he sees his bed.

I'll keep you posted while I stock up on the DAP!!! :lol:
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

What I meant by kenneling was not necessarily a boarding kennel. I just meant staying in place with some familiarity, until you get the things make make home recognizeable for her.

If you have family or a neighbor, that's great (I wish I could be so lucky).
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Ah ok I see!
We are all in the same village, Mum, brother and the Outlaw ('cos we all love an Outlaw don't we peeps!!), so we are ok for familiar places and people....... :lol: