First day at the nursing home

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

First day at the nursing home

Post by Shalista »

Mixed success? My plan was to whisk bax straight to a very particular room with a very particular resident. she had a toy poodle before she came in, loves dogs, but is very mellow and quiet. shes at the far end of a hall that is also quiet and her roommate is basically nonverbal. Shes also wheelchair bound. Perfect.

Except i got him halfway down the hall and one of the aids called "oh are you looking for X? shes at church." So i was left stranded in a crowded, noisy hallway with like 8 people milling around.

the good news is bax took it like a champ. He continued eating treats which, given that they were, frankly, fairly shitty treats, is a sign his stress threshold never got to high.

He willingly took treats from the aids and nurses that passed by.

He ACCEPTED pets from one nurse but was.... not enthused by them. It was more tolerated than delighted in.

Seeing that he wasn't super happy to be there and that my res wouldn't be back till after lunch I bailed after <5 min.

I do think that given the chance to do 1 on 1 with the initial scenario he would have done quiet well but flinging him into that hallway was just a bad idea.

So next time I'm going to make doubly sure that she'll be there (probably go on a saturday) and I'm still gonna take him. If 1 on 1 with this res doesn't work out (the trip through the crowded hallway might be to much even if the room is nice) then i'll abandon this entirely. But i want to at least give bax a CHANCE to do it the right way.

So, mixed success.

Some good things:
he continued taking treats
He never growled
He dodged hands trying to pet him but never tried to run away from the people entirely
he put his paws up on legs as though he was mugging for snuggles or treats but bailed at the last min every time
his body language was tense but not fearful. he seemed more amped up/excited/overstimulated then fearful.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Re: First day at the nursing home

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Sounds like a good start. He never got over his threshold. You took him away before he got too uncomfortable. And he had lots of yummy noms. I would say that was a success!

Perhaps you could get a coat or a harness for him that says 'ask to pet' or 'shy dog'? Might help him out if people are just reaching down for him.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

*NODNOD* yeah i'm just really happy that he didnt seem FEARFUL. like he was just to excited to sit still for pets. i was worried that hed be all cringy and scared and that didnt seem to be the case at all. and then again he kept wolfing treats down from anyone and everyone no problem and they were like... realllly low value treats.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:32 am Perhaps you could get a coat or a harness for him that says 'ask to pet' or 'shy dog'? Might help him out if people are just reaching down for him.
I was going to suggest that too :D And you must be prepared to get in between him and someone who wants to pet him when necessary. Are there any times when the hall isn't crowded and busy when you could take him in? If it's always going to be busy and everyone wants to make a fuss of him that might mean that you have to forget your plans. But so far, so good.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I think if i hustle it wont be an issue. I think it became a bit much for him because once i was told she wasn't there i just kind of stopped in the hall to see how he'd do with everyone there. THAT"S my fault. Once i lost the chance for the one on one i should have left, instead i tried to make something of it when there was ALLL those other people there. but it wasnt until i stopped that people came over o try to pet him
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

People might always assume that because he's there he's very open to just being approached, even if you don't stop.

If Bax isn't happy with harnesses, you can always get him a bandana. Something like https://www.spoiltrottenpets.com/nervou ... 1947-p.asp would probably help out, and it isn't too in his way. Or even a lead https://www.amazon.co.uk/NERVOUS-Neopre ... DZS49NAJB6
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's really positive then - he was happy at the end of the day, and you learnt a lot about how to manage it so it goes even better next time :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

*NODNOD* im really excited for next weekend =)

He also was a huge champ in that there wasnt even a hint of any interest in pottying somewhere he shouldn't (which i wasnt really worried about given how well hes been doing but still, nice)

also nice was environmental stuff, like he took the two flights of stairs like a champ and wasnt at ALL worried by the wheelchairs and walkers and nurses carts or anything.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Shalista,

I think it was a great test for Bax & you.

Now, you know how he acts in this type of situation.
I think it would definitely be a good idea to call before visiting your resident. It would let you know she is there for sure & would also give her a heads up in case she wants to have her hair combed & use bathroom before you show up.

How much does Bax weigh? Can you hold him in the hallway as you are heading to the resident’s room.

When we travel & are in hotels & motels with Sandy, we have learned to carry him just in case. There is usually one housekeeper he lets pet him & then another will get a growl. So, this way, we have more control.

Also, before letting someone pet Sandy, I let him sniff their hand first. That also helps him be more acquainted. It seems that Sandy, from smelling the housekeepers first, he seems to know who are the animal people.

But, I would give Bax an A :D for doing so well. Looking forward to hearing how your next visit goes.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

yeah i let her know i was coming in on Friday. I work at this nursing home and she's one of the regulars i work with.

as to the holding Bax doesnt really like being held. I think it would stress him out more :?