Talk about stating the obvious...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Talk about stating the obvious...

Post by JudyN »

Just in case you wanted to know if your dog was really trying to communicate to you with those big puppy-dog eyes: https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... tudy-finds
However, the team stressed the research does not shed light on what the dogs might be trying to communicate, or whether the movements are intentional
'Gimme the food! Gimme the food! Gimme the food!'

Or with strangers: 'She never feeds me you know. Ever. Is that a biscuit in your pocket?' :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
DianeLDL

Re: Talk about stating the obvious...

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN,

Interesting article, but I don’t think the research goes far enough. I’ve never really watched Sandy’s face for expressions.

But, he does communicate in different ways. If OH & I are arguing, Sandy’s ears go back & lie flat. I think it’s a fear reaction to our voice tones.

If Sandy is excited, he jumps up & down. If we say chicken (his high value treat), he jumps all the way to the refrigerator. When I light Sabbath candles on Friday evening (mind you I’m working with a flame), Sandy jumps on my back the whole time since he knows after we say the blessing over the challah bread, he gets a treat. And, he jumps & has caught the treat in midair! :lol:

But, I think you are right that the dog is looking at us as if saying “Give me my food or treat already”.

So, I think it’s too much conjecture to try to guess what a dog is thinking when looking at the dog’s face. It might just be a reaction to being looked at. Just like looking at people face on. We might get a smile or a scowl. Or, “What are you staring at?” :roll:

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Diane, Jasper and I can have whole conversations with facial expressions! Sighthounds do tend to be very sensitive to nuances, though, and pick up on all our body language - and can also be extremely expressive. He very clearly asks me things - Mum, can we go this way today? as well as 'Can I eat that?' - and I can usually tell what he's thinking from his face!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Judy,

Come to think of it, Sandy does have a certain look that he gave me today. After Sandy ate his food, OH said that Sandy has to go outside to potty. I said that didn’t he just go at the park? And, OH said, yes, and Sandy had peed 4 times at the park within the hour. I told him I didn’t think Sandy had to go. Often Sandy has to have a BM after he eats, but he wasn’t feeling well and vomited yesterday and finally had a few bites of kibble in the evening. So, I didn’t thing Sandy had anything in him. But, OH insisted. So, I took Sandy out in the backyard. He sniffed a bit, and then he looked up at me with this facial expression that looks like he is saying that he tried, but he doesn’t have to potty.

I recognized it immediately, and I said to him, “No potty?” And, he then turned and started walking to the back door.
So, yes, I know that look. :o And, Sandy appeared quite relieved that I received his message. :D
Now, I’ll begin looking to see if he has other expressions, and I’m sure like this one, it will ring a bell in my mind.

Now, I have to train OH. :lol:

Thanks,
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09