Where has everyone gone?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Suzette

Where has everyone gone?

Post by Suzette »

Where have all the regulars gone? For instance, I haven't seen a post from Nettle and/or Emmabeth in ages. Judy, it looks like you are pretty much holding down the fort single handedly these days. I hope everyone is okay.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Re: Where has everyone gone?

Post by JudyN »

Emmabeth seems to be busy with all sorts of stuff going by her FB posts - she's still activating new registrations, which has really cracked the spam problems :D Nettle has had 'stuff' going on and mentioned to me that she wouldn't be around for a while - I do hope she'll be back with us soon but I don't know if or when. I do what i can, but I'd hate for people to think that I was an expert just because I'm here so often!

Some of the knowledgeable people may well have stopped coming because most people seem to prefer Facebook and other social media to forums now, which I think is a shame. Or they may have been driven away by the spam when it was really bad. I do hope you'll hang around Suzette, you have a load of knowledge you can share :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I mostly stopped posting when i realized i was basically just parroting back what everyone else told me years ago when i first came here :roll:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Shalista wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:00 pm I mostly stopped posting when i realized i was basically just parroting back what everyone else told me years ago when i first came here :roll:
That's no reason to stop - hands-on experience of a dog who hasn't read the rule books can be invaluable to people encountering the problems you've worked through!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hands-on experience of a dog who hasn't read the rule books
READ IT? he chewed on it and then peed on it.

but yeah, i just feel a bit like a hypocrit offering help i guess. Bax is faaarrrrrr from perfect still. i see so much of myself in the people posting. it feels like just yesturday i had the same problems they did.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Don't stop. A lot of folks read. And enjoy, and take notes too.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Well, you give awesome advice Judy and you have been so helpful to so many here. It's good to see you still here sharing and helping. :D You too Ari__RR! Plus I know a few other regulars pop in from time to time and it's always good to hear what they have to say and share. And Shalista, you also have a lot to share and "parroting" sometimes is not a bad thing at all! :wink:

I was concerned for those 'missing in action', but it sounds like it's just folks being busy and having to share where they spend their time. So thanks for the info Judy!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Shalista wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:47 pm but yeah, i just feel a bit like a hypocrit offering help i guess. Bax is faaarrrrrr from perfect still. i see so much of myself in the people posting. it feels like just yesturday i had the same problems they did.
I know what you mean - Jasper is a long way from perfect too and it's ironic that I give a lot of advice on guarding when we still have 'incidents'. Buuuuuut, that means we have far more to offer than someone who read the 'how to fix guarding/peeing/separation anxiety' chapter in the rule book, implemented it, and cracked the problem within a couple of weeks. We've read more, tried more, learnt about all the different ways in which the advice might not work and thought about what else might possibly work instead. We've tried long and hard to get inside those funny quirky little brains and though they may still be mostly a mystery to us, we still know more about our dogs' mental lives than most people with a 'normal' dog - most people don't recognise basic signs of anxiety in their dogs because the dog isn't going to suddenly erupt.

And it's also reassuring for others to realise that they don't have to 'fix' everything, that they're not failures if they can't 'fix' something, and their dogs aren't terrible monsters just because they have a few - um - quirks :wink:

So don't underrate what you have to offer :D
Erica

Post by Erica »

I was taking and recently graduated from KPA :D Now I'm catching up on all the things I missed while I was busy with that! I've also started gathering quite a plentiful harvest of reactive dog clients to work with, some multiple times a week, some every other week. It's very rewarding to see their progress and see/hear how proud the owners are when their dog is not worried about a thing they previously would have been worried about!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN,

Thanks for the information. I don’t get on as often & last week I wrote a long post then, I got hit with the prove you’re a person thing, & everything I wrote disappeared. :shock:

It was too much to rewrite.

We are in San Francisco Bay Area seeing my parents & my son, dil & 3 grandchildren are visiting so I’ve been busy. We tried to introduce the 8 yo & 6yo granddaughters to Sandy at the park, but while OH was holding him, a strange woman with kid in stroller decided to join us, and Sandy went bonkers. So, it was probably the wrong place & time. But now the girls are freaked out.

And, we have been to three places dogs aren’t allowed, so OH has stayed at the lodge where we are sleeping. (They are staying with my dad.

FYI-I just remembered that Jacksdad is also working with training reactive dogs like Erica is now doing. Contulations to Erica! As you can tell, Sandy is still reactive, & we’ve had him nearly 7 years from when he was 1yo. Hard to believe he’ll be 8yo in December. :roll: And, people see him & think he’s still a puppy. I guess as a chihuahua, he looks & acts like a puppy to those who don’t know him. :lol:

And, it’s Erev Yom Kippur so I should not be on now, but I just had to say “hi” & chime in here. Glad to hear from all of you. And, yes, JudyN, we may not have written books, but we have lots of experience.

And, I do NOT use FB or other social media. I love this forum & glad you are still around.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Congratulations Erica :D And hi Diane - I'd forgotten Sandy was so close in age to Jasper - J will be 8 on 11 December.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I too had noticed that Nettle was being very quiet. Hopefully her stuff will be sorted and she will be back before too much longer.

I don't generally go to the Training advice section because I too feel like I am just parroting what was told to me, and that I too still have a reactive dog. Mainly I feel I have learned to manage her environment and become more aware of dog body language. Plus I have resorted to medication. Although the medication is mainly to ease her sound fears and stop OH from giving her a bunch of Benadryl and other things to try and calm her down.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

MPbandmom wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:50 amI too feel like I am just parroting what was told to me, and that I too still have a reactive dog. Mainly I feel I have learned to manage her environment and become more aware of dog body language. Plus I have resorted to medication. Although the medication is mainly to ease her sound fears and stop OH from giving her a bunch of Benadryl and other things to try and calm her down.
If you're parroting experts you trust, it's still really helpful to the person who is asking the questions - if they don't get a response at all they might wander off to a Cesar Milan forum instead :wink: I parrot a lot myself, and even though some of the advice I give hasn't cracked Jasper's guarding, it has worked brilliantly for other dogs. And again, it's important for people to know that in some cases, management and/or medication may be the best options.

When you think about it, there are people who have all sorts of phobias, people who have social anxiety, people who have anger management issues and so on, and though some can be 'fixed', many have to manage their environment and many more need medication. Why should dogs be different?
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN,

Sandy is Dec. 20th! :D

We will have to have a virtual birthday party in between on the 15th. :wink:

Where have the years gone?
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I am here!

Massive apologise folks ...... I am lurking about but ive taken on FAR too much lately and haven't got time to FART which isn't good enough I know..... will do better!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant