Mixed feelings

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Mixed feelings

Post by Shalista »

we saw the rat outside under the bird feeder and my dad tried to shoot it from the door. He missed and it ran under the holly bush. my mom said i should take bax out on his long lead and try to get it. "well he IS a rat terrier." says i so i clip on the long lead and out we go. i figured bax would get a good sniff and we'd be fine. Well bax sniffs around near the bird feeder and then just stiffens. then he darts under the bush first one way and the next he keeps coming at the bush and then hoping away. then the rat shot off to another bush. Bax was still going for the old bush so i tug his lead and tell him to "go" and he takes off after the second bush. flushes the rat again and then chases him down and kills him by the fence. i'de always read that ratteriers just give one shake and the rat is dead. Bax was not so quick. he tossed it around a bit like a toy until it just lay there. i think it was paralyzed cause it was layign still and just panting. Bax barked at it but it wasnt movign so i figured id take him away and come back with a shovel for the rat. well as soon as i tugged on the leash bax grabbed the rat and trotted with it to the porch were he dropped it. it was definitely dead by then and he trotted inside without it and i was able to dispose of it. I'm glad the rat is dead but i don't really buy anymore that rat terriers killing them is "humane".
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Re: Mixed feelings

Post by Nettle »

It was his very first one. He did brilliantly.

Terriers that do a lot of ratting kill so fast you can barely keep up with seeing it. But for a first time. without a handbook or another dog to show him how - he did brilliantly. Death is an untidy business, and animals (people too) usually show reflex movement as their bodies close down - they don't just suddenly lie still, like in the movies.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's still got to be more humane than rat poison :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Annabellam

Post by Annabellam »

Hey, calm down. I think it did well for a first. Terriers have astonishing instincts to hunt and kill the rats so don't blame him :D
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

This is an ethical and possibly legal topic. I can see this from different angles, but killing other animals is not something I'd ever encourage in a pet dog. :idea:
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Yeah it was kinda nice being able to indulge his prey drive in stead of constantly checking it. seeing him do what he was bred to do was a little bit intimidating. i told him he could go to the halls of his fathers and he need not feel ashamed :lol:

I did feel bad for the rat though :cry:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

To my mind, a dog killing a rat (that is not of the domesticated kind) is neither an ethical nor legal issue. It's a dog doing what that dog was bred to do. I value life, but once rats encroach in or around our homes, we are going to get rid of them one way or the other for the health and well-being of ourselves and our families. Better the way nature intended than in other less humane ways.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. People may see this type of thing inside a bubble. It's a big topic. Best wishes. :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.