Trainer Courses

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ixxi

Trainer Courses

Post by Ixxi »

Hello all!

I mentioned this briefly in my intro post, but thought it might be better on it's own thread.

I've been thinking for a long time about training to be a trainer. I work full time so distance learning, with weekend workshops maybe, would be ideal, but there are so many different places now offering this sort of thing and I have no idea which would be the best?

Can anyone recommend anything please?

Much appreciated :)

Ix
JudyN

Re: Trainer Courses

Post by JudyN »

I just posted in your intro thread, but will throw it in here as well: A couple of training establishments worth looking at are the IMDT http://www.imdt.uk.com/ and APDT http://www.apdt.co.uk/ I believe both are 100% positive, but don't know enough to recommend them.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

The IMDT offer a LOT of courses that would suit - I am a full member but I would say, do not get sucked in to having to do EVERY course they offer... and also do not fall into the trap of thinking that doing a couple of their courses = qualified to go off and teach other people (not saying you will but it is becoming somewhat common!)..

the APDT is a route to becoming a qualified trainer, as is IMDT but they offer far less courses on the whole as thats not really their remit.

I would also look at the facebook group 'Dog Seminars and Events UK' which does what it says on the tin and go on a selection of seminars and courses that take your interest.

The major one is the Victoria Stilwell Academy which is exactly that, distance learning with a number of practical weekends/weeks - you'll find more information over on the main Positively.com page. With that you also get a mentor who you shadow through classes and one to one consultations and they provide a lot of one to one support which I think is unlike any other distance learning course, outside of the university based ones (And possibly even then).

Personally I would recommend you to attend some events like the Dog Bite Prevention Conference (next june), Woof! (February) as big multiday, multi speaker events like this give you access to a lot of people and a lot of ideas in one place and this can give you a better idea of which direction you want to go in.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
KathleneDewberry

Post by KathleneDewberry »

There are many online workshops too. You can try them.