In desperate need of help

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Hcross317

In desperate need of help

Post by Hcross317 »

My husband and I have two dogs, one 9 month old puppy(female) and one adult female. The puppy has always been dominate with the adult dog but was never aggressive until recently. We took both the dogs to my husband's parent's house, where they have 2 adult dogs. Our puppy did not get along with one of the dogs and remained aggressive towards her the whole week. Our adult female got along with both dogs just fine. About half way through the week our puppy became aggressive towards our adult female dog. I was hoping the problem would go away when we returned home but it has not. We can't all be in the same room because the puppy immediately stalks and attacks our other dog. It's been about a week since we have gotten home and are at a loss of what to do. My husband has already had to go to the ER because he got bit breaking up fight after our puppy attacked our adult dog and I'm four months pregnant! We can't have our puppy behaving like this and have a baby in the house, please please please help. :cry:
Erica

Re: In desperate need of help

Post by Erica »

Hey there - I'm sorry this is happening! It must be terribly stressful.

For now, keep them separated as much as possible - they each need attention, but they also need to be kept away from each other so this doesn't escalate further.

Could we get a bit of history? What age and breed both dogs are, medical history, behavioral history. What kind of training have you done with each? What is their usual day like? How, when, where, and what are they fed? Detail is really helpful to us!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MandaS

Post by MandaS »

Hi,

Oh that is sad, could your younger one behaving like this because she feels insecure and is using defence first rather than calmly dealing with how she is feeling?

I take it you have had a vet check done in case of pain causing her to behave like that?

Manda
Motivation & Reward stops dogs getting bored :)
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

I agree with Erica in that we need to know more about the breeds, and ages of both dogs as well as the dogs at your parents' home. Also, what was the situation in their home. Did you leave your dogs with your parents while you went away during that week?
Have your dog and puppy been to your parents home and met their dogs prior to this visit?
Were the dogs together all the time, or did they have time in separate rooms, or crate time in a quiet space?
How did feeding go when at your parents as well as walks, play time, etc.?
How much interaction did the four dogs have? And, as I mentioned their breeds are important.
Also, had your older dog socialized with your parents and their dogs prior to this visit without the puppy?

As been mentioned in other threads, not all dogs like other dogs just like not everyone likes everyone else.

It appears to me, that something may have occurred at your parents that may have created a situation in which the puppy felt insecure. Sometimes, as our chihuahua is, he will try to get to a attack other dogs as fear reactive, i.e. I'll get him before they get me.

Also, if you were there the whole time at your parents, did you observe any one dog picking on the puppy or any other disturbing behavior? If you weren't there, did your parents observe anything unusual. Was the puppy picked on? Or anything else that could help.

I agree too that a vet visit is important. The puppy may have been attacked and is now reacting. The puppy needs to be totally examined as should your adult dog. There may be something that the puppy senses in your adult dog that for some reason may have increased the animosity.

As I mentioned we need to know more about the breeds, and the other questions I wrote above as well as feedings, what and when they eat, if there is food guarding. Are they able to go on a walk together or need to be taken separately.

I agree that for now the dogs need to be separated. Each with their own space that can call their own. And may mpneednro stagger feeding times.

It sounds like something may have happened at your parents home, but we need a lot more information before we can really help you. And, as an RN, I agree that this situation needs to be solved before your baby comes. At least, you have some time.
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09