need advice

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jenny1

need advice

Post by Jenny1 »

So I have adopted sally. She's a staff x. Not a lot of history on her but suspect she's been neglected abused and used for breeding. Due to scars her boobies are down at her knees and her non recognition of toys. Anyway she's got her forever home with loving family now. Problem is when I first got her she suffered a massive amount of lead aggression towards other dogs. However through time mixing her with the neighbours staff at the gate then walking on lead at distance then gradually closer I'm pleased she's overcome this. Now though she thinks every dog wants to play. She cleared my 6ft fence to try and play with a very timid frightened dog. Yesterday she nearly pulled me off my feet to get to the notoriously aggressive Rottweiler to try to play. What's everyone's opinion on a halti for out walking to try and discourage pulling obviously the Houdini act over the fence means long leash
Erica

Re: need advice

Post by Erica »

Haltis are definitely not for use with a long line - if you use them, you have to be very careful as they can easily cause neck injuries if sudden or heavy pressure is put on them, and the longer the line the more speed and therefore pressure they can put on them. My preference is to use them with a front-clip harness - one leash on the front-clip harness, held shorter, then a looser leash on the halti, so if they lunge the harness takes the impact and you can then bring the halti into effect. Here's a good video on desensitizing to headcollars.

You will also want to work on training, so your dog can focus on you and won't be constantly trying to pull you over to other dogs - does she like food or some kind of playing with toys?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Re: need advice

Post by Nettle »

You can stop her jumping out by putting an overhang on top of your fence so she can't judge the distance or get a paw over. It's very important that she doesn't get out of your property.

It's also likely that she doesn't want to play, although it's nice to think that she does. Dogs of her type don't like other dogs as a rule, so be careful that you aren't mistaking her attitude. Even if it IS play, bullie types tend to go for contact sports, which can scare other dogs into retaliation - which again you don't want.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS