Leash Walking

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

miloPJ

Leash Walking

Post by miloPJ »

Hey guys, Milo is an 11 week old Yorkie. We got him five days ago and he has shown major improvements in socialization. Now our biggest problem is leash walking. For some reason Milo doesn't like to walk. He likes to either sit or lay down when we try to take him out. Yes we know its a new thing for Milo to learn and its something strange to him. Sometimes this is an issue more than others and that's where we need help. He is just a puppy so we like to make sure we go out often. Is there something we can do help Milo leash walk consistently? What have you all done to help leash train your pups? Thanks!
Ari_RR

Re: Leash Walking

Post by Ari_RR »

My 2 cents

If he just doesn't like to walk and prefer to sit or lay down when outside, I would just let him sit or lay down and get comfortable with outside at his own pace. This would not be an issue to solve, IMHO. Nothing is wrong with sitting together, just looking at the strange world around.

But if he doesn't like walking with his leash on - then the problem is with the leash. I would perhaps put a leash on him inside and let him walk around with it just dragging behind, so he gets comfortable with the collar/leash on him in the somewhat familiar environment inside...