Embark DNA Testing

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Embark DNA Testing

Post by Erica »

Just found out about this and it seems quite fascinating. Very thorough DNA testing, and including for the first time village dogs!

Additionally, they test for over 160 genetic diseases, so even for a dog with known lineage this kit could be a good idea. (It's expensive but I'm eyeing it up for Delta for sure!) Most exciting for me - they update you for free if/when they are able to test for new things. You don't even have to take a new sample, as they'll keep a record of your pup's DNA.

Soon they'll be adding coat color genetics, which whoo boy I'm excited about. I love coat color genetics :lol: (and for anyone else who loves genetics and dog sim games, Dynasty is rather fun!)

I'm still wary of how accurate the breed identification is (would love to see some lurchers and sport mixes of known breed ancestry tested...) but the price for all those genetic health tests cannot be beaten!

Edit: almost forgot a link!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Re: Embark DNA Testing

Post by JudyN »

Erica wrote:would love to see some lurchers and sport mixes of known breed ancestry tested...
Jasper's a lurcher of known lineage and I've often been tempted to get him DNA tested - though if it showed a different mix I might not be sure if the test was wrong or the breed was wrong. Actually, he does show characteristics of all four breeds in his mix, and I trust the breeder, so I'd probably blame the test.

Do you think there's a danger in discovering some genetic diseases your dog is likely to develop? Though I suppose even if they're not curable, earlier diagnosis could help control the symptoms.

I might just have to check out that dog-breeding game later, and make my very own saluki x deerhound!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

I don't know if it would be something that insurance would take issue with and not cover; that would be something to research first.

If you know your dog has genetic markers for a heart condition, say, you may check in with your vet more often just to keep an ear on their heartbeat, and be more careful about exercise in the heat. If you know it's a possibility you can catch it earlier and start thinking about treatment before it's a pressing issue. Especially for things like internal diseases with subtle symptoms, or the eye conditions that may eventually cause blindness - you could figure out what you'll want to adapt your dog to before they go blind (those halo harnesses, for example) so it's less difficult for them.

Another thing I forgot to talk about is that you get a copy of the tested dog's results - so with the right program and knowledge you could compare their genome to another dog's to, for example, see how close or different their genes are for breeding or outcrossing purposes. Huge possibilities there!

Dynasty doesn't have Salukis or Deerhounds yet - I think the only current sighthounds are Borzois and the user-created Curly Windhounds. I know another user is working on a different sighthound-like breed as well :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Erica wrote:Dynasty doesn't have Salukis or Deerhounds yet - I think the only current sighthounds are Borzois and the user-created Curly Windhounds. I know another user is working on a different sighthound-like breed as well :)
Meh, I'll stick to Candy Crush then!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

I'll be honest here...looking at the breed test results next to the dog's pictures, they...well, some just make no darn sense. :lol: I'm not sure how possible it is to strictly identify a certain set of genes as belonging solely to dogs from a certain breed...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It isn't :wink: DNA tests are very good for some things but not breed ID. Doesn't stop it being marketed though and sadly people fall for it.

Also, many dogs whose pedigrees suggest pure breeding carry genetic faults that only belong to certain other breeds. Go figure..... :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
carrie_02

Post by carrie_02 »

Nettle wrote:It isn't :wink: DNA tests are very good for some things but not breed ID. Doesn't stop it being marketed though and sadly people fall for it.

Also, many dogs whose pedigrees suggest pure breeding carry genetic faults that only belong to certain other breeds. Go figure..... :lol:

I'm just curious- what things do you think they are good for? Thanks!
Erica

Post by Erica »

Determining parentage (eg is Red's father Jack or Yankee?), detecting carried genetic illness or genetic illnesses that might not become a problem until later in life, determining carried color genes or other physical traits such as a recessive but undesired coat type...

I'm restricting myself to just dog stuff, because once you open it up to all species, the benefits explode :lol: