Four days in the life of a reactive dog

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Four days in the life of a reactive dog

Post by delladooo »

We've had an absolutely awful week and now that the dust has settled a little so to speak, I wrote a post about it to really try and show people that all reactive owners want is a bit of consideration. I've been sharing it on various social media to try and convey it to at least one person who doesn't already know the information so figured I'd share it here too for anyone who stumbles across us

Four days with a reactive dog
JudyN

Re: Four days in the life of a reactive dog

Post by JudyN »

That's a great post - people just don't get it, do they? :x I'm going to quote a bit of it here because I just thought it was so eloquent and summed it up so well - hope that's OK.
Still basic dog etiquette is a complete mystery to the general public. Still, there is no scheme set up to educate people, to help prevent dog bites. Children are a big problem for wanting to interact with the cute dog but how can we expect them to do better when grown adults feel entitled to harass dogs in the street. How can we expect the next generation to be better when those teaching them can’t see the huge problem?

Dogs shouldn’t be harassing any random stranger they see – whether they’re adult, child or canine. Reactive dogs have as much right to mental and physical stimulation as your friendly one. Owning a reactive dog will teach you so much more about dog ownership than anything else in the world. it will bring you great joy and satisfaction but on days like the above, with incidents like the above, you feel such guilt and despair, like you’re failing your dog. That sheer blinding terror you see your dog experience is heartbreaking, all you want to do – all you feel like you can do – is shelter your dog from the outside world and cry. Those of us with reactive dogs aren’t asking for the world. All we’re asking is that people can have some consideration for other users of public spaces.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Delladoo, this is a brilliant write-up.

JudyN, do you think we could pin it in Articles?

General readers - do not ever say your dog might bite - because if it does, no matter what the provocation and preceding moments, even if the other dog bit it first, English law is such an *** in this matter that you would be liable, and your 3rd party insurance may well not cover you. Say instead that your dog is terrified of other dogs because it has been attacked before.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:JudyN, do you think we could pin it in Articles
Delladoo, would you be happy for the whole blog post to be pinned in Articles? Either you could copy it and post it in that section, then (I think) I can pin it, or I could copy and post it - but it would be better if it appeared under your name.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Judy, absolutely I have no problem with that, I'd be honoured and you're making me blush :oops: If you want me to copy it over I am happy to do that, I'll sort it in a little while.

Nettle, you make a very good point - I definitely would never advocate anyone saying their dog will bite and we really shouldn't have said so in this instance but we were far too worked up by that point to think clearly on the topic.

For general readers, it's also worth noting that we talk extremely often about muzzling MiMi and were she any other breed she would already be sporting a muzzle along with all of our other gear but we've so far found it impossible to source something what will fit her pekingese face - if I ever find something I'll be sure to let the world and its mother know!
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Great job delladoo :D
And no, I really think until you've had a reactive dog you'll never really understand (sadly I've seen that even applies to some dog trainers)..
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

It really is surprising. It's like I never really knew dogs until I got Laufey and he taught me loads about dog behaviour and how to read dogs but MiMi's teaching me to actually understand a dog's scary things. Laufey isn't a scared-y dog so it really was a learning curve and if you don't get it, you really don't get it. I also agree that not all trainers get it but, possibly even more upsetting, not all owners of reactive dogs understand either and that will never cease to baffle me.

I'll always remember, one of our scariest incidents after MiMi became reactive was when a lady with two reactive chihuahuas pursued us across an empty field with her dogs. MiMi was actually doing really well considering but these dogs were having absolute meltdown and she just kept getting closer. It was by far the strangest encounter we've had :shock:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Demonstrating yet again that it's the people who need training :?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Definitely, unfortunately I can't talk to her when if I don't have the dogs - I've tried it once or twice and she just winds me up and doesn't "get" what I'm trying to tell her. As much as I feel for her dogs, it's one I'm not going to be able to help.