Male or female I can't choose?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lara575

Male or female I can't choose?

Post by Lara575 »

Hi all

Since I decided on the Golden retriever for my first dog I'm finding it hard to choose what gender to get as I 100% will be getting a second dog and that will be A GSD and I already know I will be getting male GSD as I prefer males after meeting GSD in person.

So should I get male or female for my first dog? I would prefer male and I have read tow males are more likely to get on than male , female combination?

What would be the best choice with me getting a male as my second dog?
ScarletSci

Re: Male or female I can't choose?

Post by ScarletSci »

Our experience of always having a two dog household is that a male/female pairing is the most likely to get along. Followed by two males. Two females is the most difficult combo, especially if closely matched in age/breed/size, as they're likely to compete with each other for Head ***** in Charge status, and bitches are far more likely to fight to death than two males are. (although two males can do that too - it's just more likely with two females.)

I did see your other post where the breeder explained that males can be more difficult through adolescence, and are more likely to attract negative attention from other male dogs than a female would. Which is true. We advise the same. I'm sorry, I meant to come back and reply to it after I'd had coffee, then got sidetracked. But it's still possible to ride out the male adolescent stage, as many of us have!

In your shoes, I'd look into neutering first.. decide whether you want to neuter, go for an early neuter (before or at six months) or a later neuter. Many of us here chose to wait until full maturity before neutering, or not neuter at all. I decided to wait until Pixie was two before reassessing, which meant riding out three seasons, each of which lasts three weeks or more, and meant close supervision, and not even leaving her with my neutered male, 'cos a neutered male can still attempt to mate, risking damage to both dogs. It was manageable, and we did fine, but we decided to go ahead and neuter her at two. You'd have similar stages to ride out if you want to wait or not neuter a male dog. But, there are also many benefits to waiting to neuter, or not nuetering at all. Read through the neutering thread in the health, diet and exercise section, Nettle explains things far more eloquently than I can! But that way you have a clear idea of the stages you face through puppyhood and adolescence with both genders, and can decide which you'd prefer or think is more manageable for you, and it'll be good prep for getting a puppy anyway.

Is this your first dog or second dog? My second step would be to assess how well a second dog would match my first, in terms of breed, gender, and temperment. If my existing male dog had preferred male dogs, I would have got a second male. He generally got along better with females though, and our previous experience with a two dog household backed up that generally, a male/female pair will get along better.
ScarletSci

Re: Male or female I can't choose?

Post by ScarletSci »

Sorry, I should have finished my coffee before replying to this one too! :D

Okay, the second dog is still hypothetical, so can disregard some of my advice. In your shoes, I'd be likely to go for a female dog first, if you're planning to get a male.

The other thing to consider is when you plan to get a second dog. How old your current dog will be, whether it will be able to handle a second dog, etc. I'd love more dogs, but my girl turned out to be far more possessive (without being territorial/aggressive) and jealous of me giving attention to others than I'd have anticipated. If I even look at the fish tank for too long, she demands my attention back! This can be a problem considering I also have a cat and a parrot, and she will literally body block my mum's dog, the boy, from getting attention from me that she feels is all hers. She's accepted training to move away and to share, but the boy is far more submissive and will allow her to make him move from a comfy spot, give up a toy, or not get the 1-1 from me he wants. I do what I can to keep it fair, but she will always try to be the sole focus of my attention.

She'll be an only dog when I move, and I've decided not to get a second dog. Because my existing one would be devastated, and I couldn't give the second dog the right one on one time it would deserve and need. Jack is okay because when me move, he'll have my parents sole attention on him again, but it was a big adjustment for him, and he was six when we got Pixie, and had shared with our previous dog before.

I think you're less likely to get this possessiveness from a goldie, but it's still worth bearing in mind.