foster dogs

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

nettyjen

foster dogs

Post by nettyjen »

i started fostering for a rescue centre in july and my first dog was a gorgeous staffie cross that was so excitable and spoilt that i had to retrain her. she had no impulse control and thought dustie come here was just a suggestion. jumped up everyone. went in peoples cars or houses if door was open. i was so stuck. i made her watch its me or the dog to show her what a dog should do and shouldnt do. that programme saved me. people had seen her but said she was too jumpy and they couldnt cope.
i never have believed in torture collars i dont even like dog crates (jails). by following victorias advice dustis began to change. she came when i called. stopped jumping up, stopped pulling on her lead. she became a joy to walk, apart from other peoples prejudice against staffies. this lovely girl was my grandsons pal he is 2.
my problem is that dustie has now found her forever home with a lovely woman who has a staffie and the 2 dogs are inseparable. me- miss her so much. i couldnt adopt her because she was too solid and heavy for me. so how do i cope with the joy and sadness of dustie getting a home.
JudyN

Re: foster dogs

Post by JudyN »

I'm sorry you haven't had a reply - I'm not sure if there's any regulars here who have been in your position. But for what it's worth, I think foster carers who can turn a dog around, teach it to trust again, and then let it go to a wonderful new home are AWESOME :D Maybe knowing just what you have done for this dog can help the pain somewhat. But you'll still have the memories. And your next foster pup should help too!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. I guess that's the lot of a foster carer - the sweet and the sour. Congratulations for helping Dustie to have a good life and find a nice 'furever' home. Skills you taught and self control instilled with positive reinforcement should give Dustie a big head start with life in the new home. Cheers. :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
MattAndLaura

Post by MattAndLaura »

Hi, we also foster. Our first foster was dog reactive and nervous of men. By the time he went to his forever home he had began to trust men and got massively better with other dogs. We dropped him off at his forever home and have regular contact with his new owner which helps make us happier. I suppose we just have to be happy that they go to a nice home and will enjoy their life and will make their new family happy :)