Accidentally awesome (or not)

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Accidentally awesome (or not)

Post by Shalista »

What's a behavior your dog does because of you.... but that you never meant to train him for.

Bax snoozes on my bed alot but always gets up when i do. As a consequence he's usually still a bit sleepy when i try to put his harness on. Since I'm just standing there putting on shoes he has a bit of a stretch and a yawn. I cant put on his harness while hes stretching so i make a fuss over him while he stretches...... 2 years later..... he always stretches and yawns before i put his leash on, even if he'd been running around like a maniac seconds before.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Accidentally awesome (or not)

Post by JudyN »

If I spot someone in the distance and say, 'There's a friend,' Jasper will run up to them, all ready to make a big fuss of them (and probably nosebutt their groin) - but he hasn't always spotted the same person I have, or I might have mistaken a stranger for someone I know. Then he'll get a little confused at the last moment, and revert to a normal polite introduction when he realises he doesn't know them after all :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MPbandmom

Re: Accidentally awesome (or not)

Post by MPbandmom »

Turn around

Just in regular conversation on drag me down the sidewalk walks of an out and back nature, I would say it's time to turn around and essentially drag on the leash until the dog followed me in the other direction. Then one day I realized she understood "turn around." This simple unintended command would prove to be the key to getting her leash manners into manageable range. She now sometimes even anticipates a turn around and will stop and look at me expectantly. Who would have thought that a dog would find turn around to be great fun? I always tell her what a good girl she is when she does a turn around.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.