Canine Partners

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ScarletSci

Re: Canine Partners

Post by ScarletSci »

master2 wrote:Thanks shalista

Do you think it even sound like sciatica, shalista as she's had it over a year now and the pain is not just in both legs and back its also in her left ribcage, in her right collar bone leading down to her shoulder and arm. She also gets hot flashes , restless legs, muscle spasms, migranes, sensitive to loud noises and smell (she can smell things that we can't), migranes or headache she gets a lot, she gets this tingling in her feet and hands, she's a very anxious person. I am starting to think she has not got sciatica at all as her symptoms do should like fibromyalgia? She sleeps well it takes awhile to get to sleep but once she does she does not wake up until morning? What do you think shalista? She has not told the doctor about her other symptoms as she did not think they could be related. She only told the Dr about her leg and back pain which is why she was diagnosed with sciatica.
I'll quickly cover what I think about an assistance dog in this situation - I think it's early in the game to be considering one, when so far, there are medical, social, psychological and assistance factors that aren't being explored or treated. I would work through those checklist style before leaping to an assistance dog as a miracle answer.

Rather than internet diagnoses, she needs to tell her doctor her symptoms. All of her symptoms. She can't get a correct diagnosis unless the medical professionals know exactly what she's suffering with, no? Keeping an ongoing list of her symptoms would be useful. Sleep is tricky. She might be 'sleeping' for a solid eight hours a night, but there are different stages of sleep, and if she isn't getting the restive, restorative stages where the body heals itself and you wake up refreshed, then only a sleep study where they track your brain waves will show that. If she constantly looks tired and never feels truly rested, that's a clue that there's something going on there. Pain management clinics may also help with symptoms.

Untreated anxiety won't be helping. It can leave you physically tense at all times (voice of experience here!) which will not help with muscle and joint pain. The trauma of having something go so physically wrong and the fears about it being lifelong, having to withdraw from uni, all add up. She needs to be referred to a psychiatrist to have these issues addressed by a professional.

Money issues - It sounds as though she would qualify for disability living allowance, now known as Personal Independence Payments. Her mother would likely qualify for carers allowance, since she needs to be with her daughter all of the time. The citizens advice bureau could help them navigate the benefits system and find out everything they are entitled to.

University - depending on what she's studying, taking a course online, through the Open University for example, is still very possible. Having to go into a building every day isn't a requirement now for further education. Also bear in mind that if she qualifies for disability benefits, especially in the mobility componant, that she will have rights as a person with a disability, that institutions and employers have to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate her using services.

All of these factors can feed into and play off of each other. But if she isn't even telling her doctor her symptoms, she needs to start there, and tackle all of these other issues. I'm not convinced that it will be a lifelong condition, when these other issues aren't being addressed. She may well find that once these issues are being addressed and treated by professionals, that her pain subsides. Or can at least be managed in a way that her life isn't restricted.
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi Scarletsci. Thanks for your advice. She has booked an appointment with the Dr on Wednesday at 11:10am so once I hear from her I shall update you all.
master2

Re: Canine Partners ****update******

Post by master2 »

Hi all

Yesterday evening Zara phoned me and asked if I would take her to the hospital (her mom does not drive , I'm the only friend she had who does as her family members who do drive all work, were I work from home) I said yes and I took her to the hospital as her leg had collapsed on her again and she could not get up after an hour she started to get feeling in her like again and then was able to walk again , she decided she can't wait till Wednesday for her doctors appointment. Long story short I waited in the waiting area after the 2hr wait for her to be seen. Her mom came out to me after 1hr of the DR talking to Zara and checking her over and said they were going to do lots of tests and she would phone me when Zara can go home so I could go back to pick them up.

I got the phone call later that night at around 10pm , once I collected her she was telling me that all her blood work was fine they even looked at gluten and dairy intolerant but she was fine. She's not diabetic , or got high cholesterol , thyroid was fine , no cancer in the blood ect. They tested lots of different things in her blood but they all came back fine. She then had an MRI but that did not come back until a few minutes before I got my call. X-rays were fine all normal, ultrasound normal. MRI was normal too. They have ruled out sciatica and have diagnosed her now with fibromyalgia. Treatment they said they don't feel anti depressants would be any good to her and would prefer her to see a psychologist. Pain medication is either paracetamol, codine but both have been no good as her doctor already tried them last year so there is no pain medication. She has to see a rumatolgist ( I might have spelt that wrong) physiotherapy is a no as she has tried it several times and it didn't help. They have told her that this is a life long condition and that there is nothing they can do to cure her.

She was devastated. As she won't be able to bend over ever again.she is still seeing the GP tomorrow to get the referrals the DR at the hospital recommend. He did say what about a dog for the disabled or canine partners but she did not really anwser him as she's unsure.

I will keep you updated on how things go for her. I do have a question of my own in breed questions regarding this.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That doesn't sound right at all, master2 :? Generally, paracetamol and codeine do very little for fibromyalgia pain. Antidepressants, however, are the treatment of choice, not because of the effect they have on mood but because they help with the sleep cycle and raise the pain threshold. Why are they suggesting she sees a psychologist? Fibro isn't a mental condition, but on the other hand, some forms of therapy can help people manage their pain and cope with their symptoms.

I'm amazed she got the MRI results back so quickly - normally it takes ages.

It is generally a lifelong condition, but symptoms can improve with the right support. It would be worth her getting in touch with an organisation like the Fibromyalgia Association: http://www.fmauk.org/ and learning more about the condition and what support is available.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi

JudyN - thats why she is still going to the GP tomorrow to ask about medication to check if there is anything else they could give her.

The psychologist is because she has been very low in mood since the pain started last year at one point she was talking about killing herself.

I was shocked to with the MRI as when I had one done ages ago on my shoulder it took 4 weeks for me to hear. But apparently the DR wanted to make sure it was not something really serious before dischargeing her.
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi

Zara joined the Fibromyalgia form and with some of the members help decided against getting an assistant dog. The members were telling her that Paleo and primal diets help them a lot even better than medication. She on Antidepressants as the GP told her that they can help with nerve and muscle pain.

Does anyone on here know anything about the paleo diet or are you on the diet and it has helped you?

She likes that you get to eat bacon on this diet a lot of the members were saying there favourite breakfast was bacon and eggs :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

master2 wrote:Does anyone on here know anything about the paleo diet or are you on the diet and it has helped you?
I've tried giving up wheat & dairy in the past & not noticed a difference in my symptoms. I'm usually vegetarian (which probably rules out paleo) but when I did eat meat for a while I didn't notice any difference. At the moment I'm toying with the idea that sugar might exacerbate my symptoms, and some people do find it can give them aches & pains so that would be worth a try. I've cut back on sugar a lot but the jury's still out on that one. What I really want to do is have a sugar binge and see if I have a flare up :wink:

Bottom line, paleo will only help if there's something in her current diet that she has some form of sensitivity to, or if she's lacking something, and fibro isn't believed to be caused by diet. But it makes sense to try to eat the best diet you can, and to try cutting out things that may be a factor. Just be aware that the placebo effect will come into play (it's like the Nutribullet craze - how can you not feel healthy if you've just had a blueberry, kale and chia seed smoothie? :lol: ) and given that symptoms change from day to day, whatever changes you make, you're bound to feel either a little bit better or a little bit worse the next day/week and it may be nothing to do with the change.

I'm sure she knows this, but the antidepressants will probably make her feel wiped out for a few weeks. It does pass, so she needs to stick with them. Oh, I've also found aromatherapy helpful, even if just for the relaxation benefits. But if her fibro is severe, even the gentlest massage might be too painful for her.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009