Moving house... part time dog?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ScarletSci

Re: Moving house... part time dog?

Post by ScarletSci »

General moving update - logistics on a very tight budget are proving tricky, but luckily I have awesome friends with cars who plan to help me. I do need to get a van for a large antique sideboard and the mattress though, and to pick up a sofa and armchair that someone (a perfect stranger!) has offered to me for free if I can collect it.

I get the keys tomorrow, a friend is coming to mine in time to have a coffee, load a pile of stuff in his car, go collect keys and sign up, then onto the new place.

Tuesday a different friend is meant to be coming down to help me shift the furniture we already moved to my folks house, move it to my new place, and to pick up a small dining table and chairs I found on Gumtree from somewhere close to my folks house. I haven't heard definite confirmation from him yet though, so fingers crossed that that's still a go.

Then I'm going to need a van for the big things, the sideboard and mattress. I'll also have boxes and bags of things, so it just depends what happens with the van whether it'll be too expensive to load all of it and better to just get the big items, go fetch the sofa and chair, and then shift the bags of clothes and books and things by car, which will be one or two trips. The first friend who is coming tomorrow has a nephew with a car and van hire place, and he's experienced with driving a van, so is trying to blag one for free or cheap! Fingers crossed for that one too, 'cos three or four of us could get together and do it all in one day/load then, which will save me in petrol costs.

I am very lucky to have such good friends. This would be even more of a logistical nightmare without them, and cost me a bomb. It's going to cost a lot already, but I don't know how I'd do it if I had to pay a professional removal crew to get items from three/four different places.

Why is it that when packing to move, it feels like endless hard work, yet when you look around, it doesn't look as though you've accomplished anything? Well, my coffee break is over, back to it!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

what lovely friends you have. :D

In case you haven't thought of this already - you need one box with all the makings of tea/coffee, mugs, kitchen wipes, loo roll, spare lightbulb, soap, flannel, and a packet of biscuits.

Remember you don't have to unpack all on the same day! Get the bed ready so you can sleep, and the rest can come in its own time.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Nettle wrote:what lovely friends you have. :D

In case you haven't thought of this already - you need one box with all the makings of tea/coffee, mugs, k**chen wipes, loo roll, spare lightbulb, soap, flannel, and a packet of biscuits.

Remember you don't have to unpack all on the same day! Get the bed ready so you can sleep, and the rest can come in its own time.
LOL, great minds think alike! I have those boxes packed already, to go over with the first load :wink: And I just gave those exact tips to someone else, because I've moved a lot, and told them that the worst thing is you and whoever you've roped into helping are gasping for a cuppa, but you've no mugs or tea or whatever. Or when you finally feel ready to collapse, the bed is coved in boxes and you can't find the sheets!

I had forgotten loo roll though, so adding that now.. thanks!

I'm still packing... it seems endless. But do have plenty of time. I got the keys today! Tomorrow I do various bits like donate yet more stuff to the charity shops before doctors appointment, then friend is helping me collect a small dining table and chairs I found on Gumtree. Wednesday evening, yet another friend with a big boot (his words! :D ) is going to help me cram as much into his car as possible, and take it to new place.

Thursday I found a cheap man with van who will take me to collect a lovely leather sofa and armchair, which was on Gumtree for £40 - while trying to organise logistics with the seller, he offered to give them to me for free, to compensate for the cost of transport. A complete stranger! He didn't even know what my circumstances were. I've written a gushing thank you email, and will take a thank you card and home-made cookies when we go to collect it on Thursday.

It's coming together! Still going to be more organising and expenses, but will get there. :D I used to move so easily in my twenties. I could be packed and ready to go in half a day. I guess I've aquired more things since then, but I'm by no means a hoarder. It's made harder since my belongings are divided between here and folks house, and we're gathering furniture I need from Gumtree, but it definitely feels harder and more stressful than it ever did before. Maybe the anxiety disorder makes it harder, or the tighter budget. I don't know how families with whole house and kids etc do it!