Update on raw milk.

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Newsomefamily

Re: Update on raw milk.

Post by Newsomefamily »

Nettle wrote: should be aware of the huge amount of killing that goes on to protect vegetarian foodstuffs in field and in store. :wink:

I have found some links to show what I think Nettle is talking about and it's quiet shocking.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97836

http://www.discovery.org/a/6351
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Then there's the question of the relative value of animals' lives, which is relevant to dog owners - by 'humanely' killing your own pet you could (possibly*) prevent the far less humane slaughter of goodness knows how many chickens, lambs, whatever.

* Though you have to take into account whether the dog's food is made of the parts of a domestic animal that humans wouldn't eat, and also that you wouldn't actually save their lives, you'd just prevent them being born.

I have thought about this subject from before the age of 10, when my uncle had a turkey farm and I made myself follow him round to observe a turkey go all the way from gobbling to... being gobbled :lol: I also have a degree in philosophy.... and still, the best justification I can give is that it 'feels' right to me and I feel uncomfortable eating meat. I will make the odd exception, e.g. if we're out for a meal and I really don't like the look of the veggie options, because I'm aware of all the contradictions in the arguments.

Possibly, the most effective way to lead a more ethical life is not to have children. However much meat you eat, or however many animals die to grow your veggies, it will be nothing compared to what your children, and your children's children, and their children, would have eaten.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Food for thought indeed, JudyN. And IMO doing what feels right is the way to go, while understanding (that philosophy degree) that what feels right for some doesn't for all.

Nice to have a polite discussion on what easily becomes a contentious subject.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:that philosophy degree
I thought I'd come out with all the answers to the many questions that occupied me. In the very first lecture, the lecturer proved to us why God exists, and then proved to us why God didn't exist. This set the tone for the next three years and I came out with no answers, but a lot more questions :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

JudyN wrote:
Nettle wrote:that philosophy degree
I thought I'd come out with all the answers to the many questions that occupied me. In the very first lecture, the lecturer proved to us why God exists, and then proved to us why God didn't exist. This set the tone for the next three years and I came out with no answers, but a lot more questions :lol:

Sounds the right attitude :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS