You in UK are dog lovers. Can you please help?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

stellatsar

You in UK are dog lovers. Can you please help?

Post by stellatsar »

Hi all

I am relatively new to this forum, and I have posted again that I am looking for quality boarding for my dogs but it seems that there are less and less UK people around here.

I am looking for very good quality kennels to live my dogs (that 2 of them need meticulous care as they have chronic conditions) for long term stay as I work outside home and have no option to leave them to a friend.

By "kennel" I mean places like farms where dogs can run free, have own place to sleep, clean, disinfected, with people who take very good care of them. I do not mean the places that we know and avoid. Is there such "extended home boarding"place in UK or elsewhere in Europe?

I would appreciate your help and reaction. So far I have received few answers and if I cannot find it in Victoria Stillwell's forum then this is quite disappointing

thanks for your help in advance
Stella from Greece
JudyN

Re: You in UK are dog lovers. Can you please help?

Post by JudyN »

I think you have to recognise that it's unlikely there will be any UK forum members who know of such a place as we wouldn't want to kennel our dogs long term. It also seems quite extreme to want to send your dogs to another country - would you be able to keep your dogs at home and bring in a dog walker during the day?

I'm not sure any kennels can replace a 'proper' home. I found this one at random: http://www.countryclubkennels.co.uk/the-kennels/ However good it is, the dogs aren't going to have their own special loved person, and it looks as if they only get exercised in 'paddocks'. Your dogs might actually be better off being rehomed if you aren't going to be able to see them for a long spell of time.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
master2

Post by master2 »

I agree with JudyN it is probably better to rehome them. Are you going to come and visit them in the UK or not. There are some good kennels here I gave tow links in one of your other posts. Dogs really should not be left in kennels for tow long. Plus they won't know who the owner is anymore if you leave them there for say 1 whole year. I think if you cant look after them anymore for what ever reason then my advice is rehome them so they can be with an owner who does have the time to look after them. Is there a reason why you won't rehome?

If your worried you won't be able to rehome them quikly then just let a good rescue centre or shelter help rehome them. If you don't have any were you are then there are really good rescues in the UK.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

There are home boarding places like that in the UK, which is I think what you are looking for rather than a kennels, there really won't be kennels as you describe, the reality of kennelling is that your dog will spend around 22 hours a day in a small kennel and run, with a short walk or two in a secure paddock (possibly not even any off lead time) and two meals a day plus any medical care required. It is the bare minimum that your dog needs.

There are home boarding companies like Holidog.com and tailster.com who are really agencies for independent home boarders - often with companies like these you won't actually get to meet your dogs carer, so do be careful with those.

If you can afford either kennelling or home boarding, then honestly you would probably be better off employing a dog sitter/dog nanny who lives in, or spends a lot of time at your home with your dogs. This would give your dogs the ultimate in care and you would see them and be able to ensure their care is the best.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant