Can two females live together?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fudgeandcoco

Can two females live together?

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

Hi all

I'm looking at litters of the Newfie and I would prefer female than male as I find them eaiser.

But I know people always tell you to get the opposite sex.

Can tow spayed females live together without fighting? ( Fudge is spayed and the Newfie will be to once old enough)

Many thanks
Nettle

Re: Can two females live together?

Post by Nettle »

It's MUCH harder with two females - can be done but very very big commitment needed by the whole family, plus space where you can keep them apart if necessary especially when you go out.

How does Fudge get on with other dogs generally, and please remind us of her breed/mix?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fudgeandcoco

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

OK she's a mini poodle. General she's fine with other dogs out on walks but at my uncle's I did notice she played more with his male newfs.
master2

Post by master2 »

I don't know about two females but I have to males both neutered and they get on fine.

Both different breeds and ages and they have never had a fight or argued with each other.

In my opinion I think neutered males can get on better than two females.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Nettle wrote:It's MUCH harder with two females - can be done but very very big commitment needed by the whole family, plus space where you can keep them apart if necessary especially when you go out.
I think it's also somewhat breed dependent. I had many combo's of setter girls as did friends. Other than the very rare snit over the odd toy, they lived in harmony. The zoi girls and the grey girls all seem to get along........... sure you'll get the odd two that are more quick to snark at each other but mostly peaceful........ the zoi's do get upset if they get trodden on where the greys have less need for personal space.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Good point. I would never recommend two bitches of the more combative breeds kept together. Though I did get called in when two greyhound bitches had fought and one killed the other, I suspect there was plenty of prior warning that the owners did not see.

Trouble is, you never know it isn't going to work until it hasn't. We have three bitches here, have been up to five, and it keeps you on your toes. Luckily the two big girls (Avatar Lady and Babydog) are very laid back and create their own space if they need to. The terrier has to be well managed. I'd never have two terriers again.

Most male dogs rub along quite nicely as long as all needs are met and they have adequate space and resources. Not combative breeds, though.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I have two girls, but one came with issues and does not get along well with other dogs at all. It has taken a lot of work and careful management, a lot of thinking ahead and being very observant to prevent fights. Mostly they get along well, but that's because we've done so much work.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.