How hard can a toothless dog bite?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

How hard can a toothless dog bite?

Post by JudyN »

We met the border collie who hates Jasper today. There was no time to avoid her or for her owner to get her on lead, and I tried to get in between her & Jasper and send her back, but she's more nimble than me - plus I think me hollering at her would increase Jasper's stress.

She may be mellowing though - she just sniffed him, while he stood there thinking 'Ohcrapohcrapohcrap...' and then she went on her way.

Anyhow - the owner is adamant that she won't hurt Jasper because she hasn't any teeth. I'm more concerned about his stress levels than injury, as I reckon he'd react (as in retreat, not bite back) fast enough to escape, but it made me wonder - how much damage could she do? Bruising? Or actually breaking the skin?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Re: How hard can a toothless dog bite?

Post by katej215 »

strange you've posted this, as I've literally just been reading a book by US vet /behaviourist Gary Landsberg who mentioned that some vets (he was not recommending this) advise clients in aggression cases to have the dogs teeth removed (I know!). However, he was saying that even then a dog can still inflict significant damage (he wasn't specific here). So that said, sounds like you still need to be careful around her.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, she can do physical damage by bruising and pulling, but in Jas's case the biggest most long-lasting damage will be psychological.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

I've been bitten by toothless dogs - still hurts like a b!tc# :lol: I swear they develop stronger jaws to compensate.

In case you were wondering - chihuahua. Left a decent bruise.