Were do I stand

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

master2

Were do I stand

Post by master2 »

Hi all

I'm having a problem with my neighbours cat he keeps coming in the garden when the dogs are out there normally he runs back to his garden but last night Watson nearly got him as the dogs always chase him.

My neighbour as shouted at me giving me abuse and said if the dogs ever caught the cat she would have them put down and would sue me but can she do this as surly the cat is in the wrong as the cat is roaming onto my proberty? Were do I stand legally

And it's not fair when they should be able to go in the garden without being muzzled :(
Nettle

Re: Were do I stand

Post by Nettle »

Are you in UK? If so, the cat is 'property' but otherwise has no status in law. Should the dogs kill the cat, it is of course regrettable but it is not a crime. If you chose to offer the monetary value of the cat (for them to buy a replacement cat not to say he was worth millions to them) you should make it clear that it is a goodwill gesture and that you have no liability in law (because you haven't). The cat has been allowed to stray, so it is arguable (with a good lawyer) that the owner is responsible for its demise - but a cat's status in law is fluid and apart from being "property" it has no rights and owner has no responsibilities. You do not have to keep your dogs muzzled or on-lead in their own garden.

I have no idea what the situation is in other countries.

However if you were to put two feet or so of wobbly chicken wire on top of your fence, the cat won't be able to scale it. There are companies that make cat-proof fences that are topped with rollers, but that would be you bearing the cost to keep out stray cats.

I would recommend you get public liability cover for your dogs if you haven't already. People like your neighbour are wrong in law but can make life very unpleasant, and it is always better to keep on good terms with the neighbours.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS