Any dog trainers out there?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

UndecidedDogLover

Any dog trainers out there?

Post by UndecidedDogLover »

Hi all! I'm working a boring office job but have always loved dogs, and lately I've been spending a lot of time volunteering at an animal shelter. It's made me realize I'd really like to see if I can make a career out of helping dogs and people live together more peacefully being a dog trainer.
I've found three really promising-sounding schools: The Academy for Dog Trainers, Karen Pryor Academy, and Victoria Stilwell Academy- but I don't know which to choose!
Have you heard of any of these, or taken them, or know someone who has? What do you think? Which do you think is best, and for what purposes / specializations?
Thank you!
Nettle

Re: Any dog trainers out there?

Post by Nettle »

While I can't recommend a course, what I do recommend is that you find some dog trainers to shadow and see the different methods they use and how they work - or don't work - on different dogs. Most trainers are happy to take on a volunteer helper, and if not, you can sit in on training classes for a small fee or if you help with the coffee breaks :) The more you see the more you learn.

There is a wealth of reading material you can study without committing to a course just yet. No course, however good, will teach you as much as watching dogs and people with an analytical mind. Mouth shut, eyes open, you will learn loads that will be of value.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
UndecidedDogLover

Re: Any dog trainers out there?

Post by UndecidedDogLover »

Nettle wrote:While I can't recommend a course, what I do recommend is that you find some dog trainers to shadow and see the different methods they use and how they work - or don't work - on different dogs. Most trainers are happy to take on a volunteer helper, and if not, you can sit in on training classes for a small fee or if you help with the coffee breaks :) The more you see the more you learn.

There is a wealth of reading material you can study without committing to a course just yet. No course, however good, will teach you as much as watching dogs and people with an analytical mind. Mouth shut, eyes open, you will learn loads that will be of value.
Thanks, Nettle! I have already read a lot and plan on doing more, and am actually in the process of starting to shadow a trainer in my area. I am definitely going to make sure I don't shadow any trainers who use force or talk about the dominance hierarchy, because I definitely don't want to spend my time doing that even though I know it could give me another perspective.