Vets vote on the worst first time dogs!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

Vets vote on the worst first time dogs!

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

I found this arrival were vets have picked in a survey which breeds are not a good choice for a first time owner

Large dogs http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-expert ... ime-owners

Small dogs http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-expert ... ime-owners

I don't agree with a few breeds on each list especially the GSD they can with the right owner be great first time dogs.

What I wanted to know is you agree with any of the breeds on either list that new owners really should avoid and is there breed that is not there you would like to add?
Fudgeandcoco

Re: Vets vote on the worst first time dogs!

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

I agree with the scottie. My mom had one and she was a very challenging dog and full of character but very strong in her ways so I think a newbie would find them to hard.

I'm afraid I agree with the GSD they are very smart dogs who if the owner is not experienced enough can out smart there owners and learn bad things just as quick as good. I also think they can be too much dog as my grandmother once said still don't know what that means but I know she would never sell a puppy to a newbie as she believed people needed to be more experienced before owning one that way they were more confidant when training. That was her belife anyways.
master2

Post by master2 »

Fudgeandcoco wrote:
I'm afraid I agree with the GSD they are very smart dogs who if the owner is not experienced enough can out smart there owners and learn bad things just as quick as good. I also think they can be too much dog as my grandmother once said still don't know what that means but I know she would never sell a puppy to a newbie as she believed people needed to be more experienced before owning one that way they were more confidant when training. That was her belife anyways.

I can see were your coming from but I'm going to defend my breed they just need someone who is willing to put in the time and effort and yes maybe someone smart enough to outsmart a GSD :lol: .
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's just not that simple, is it? First-time dog owners aren't necessarily totally ignorant about dogs. They may be very aware people who until now haven't had the right lifestyle to own dogs, but have plenty of dog experience. They may have lots of knowledgable friends who can help them over hiccups and those puppy moments. Or they may never have had anyting to do with dogs and think it's all about dogs they have seen in films/tv shows and have read about in books, have no help available and are about to embrace a life-changing experience!

There are a few breeds mentioned that I would advise pretty nearly anyone to steer clear of unless they are up for a challenge and have sufficient knowledge of less demanding breeds before they start. I was VERY surprised to see the whippet on the list though - one of the most delightful breeds and very easy to have around provided owners acknowledge and manage the prey drive.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
master2

Post by master2 »

Nettle wrote:
There are a few breeds mentioned that I would advise pretty nearly anyone to steer clear of unless they are up for a challenge and have sufficient knowledge of less demanding breeds before they start.

Which breeds did you agree with Nettle?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I raised my eyebrow at the whippet, too. In a way, I think it's better to have a sighthound as a first dog rather than after, say, a long string of labs. Someone who expects a sighthound to respond like a lab - or like pretty much any other sort of dog for that matter - is likely to be terrible owner if they think that what worked for their previous dogs will work for this one and struggle to change their expectations.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
master2

Post by master2 »

JudyN you have explained it perfectly of what I meant about the GSD. Iv met many people who have been told to get a lab or Goldie by a vet or other GSD owners and they really wanted a GSD but we're told they needed experience first. My advice was and always will be if they own a lab then they still won't be prepared for a GSD as labs and shepherds are worlds apart from each other. Only a Shepherd will prepare you for a Shepherd.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

What classifies as a "sighthound"? Rat terriers have whippet in them, is that enough for them to qualify?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

A sighthound is a purebred dog of the group that hunts by sight and speed, or a cross between two or more of these. So Bax is a terrier not a sighthound. :)

Master2, there were a number of breeds I would not recommend for an everyday dog owner, which include the Akita and the malemute.

master2

Post by master2 »

Nettle wrote:
Master2, there were a number of breeds I would not recommend for an everyday dog owner, which include the Akita and the malemute.

I always very interested in what you think Nettle as iv learnt lot from you over the past year or so since I joined.

Do you agree with the GSD being on that list?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:A sighthound is a purebred dog of the group that hunts by sight and speed, or a cross between two or more of these. So Bax is a terrier not a sighthound. :)
That would imply that lurchers aren't sighthounds though, which surely they are?

Shalista, on my understanding, if you crossed a terrier with a whippet, you would get a lurcher. But there must come a point where there's so little whippet in there any more (and possibly a range of other ancestors) that it doesn't qualify as a lurcher any more.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Lurchers as far as I know are sighthound cross but are not classed in the breed group because there not purebred. That's why you never see them at crufts in the hound group.

I'm also interested to see what Nettle makes of the GSD being on the list and if she agrees that there not great for first timers because they can outsmart there owners and be challenging?
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Iv also found the good first dog survey as well.

Here's large dogs that are best for a newbie. http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-expert ... ime-owners

Small dogs. http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-expert ... ime-owners
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If we are being pedantic (my default mode :lol: ) lurchers are a cross of one or more running dogs i.e. sighthound breeds, and one or more working dogs, while longdogs are crosses between two or more sighthounds. But in real life, the terms are interchangable.

If a recognised pedigree dog has sighthound in its background before it began to breed true to the new breed, such as dobermanns having greyhound in them, they are not lurchers or sighthounds because those breeds are too far back in their creation (we have a dobermann/greyhound cross near here, and she is very different from a pure dobermann).

I wouldn't recommend a breed like the GSD for a first-time owner because the current health issues would break their hearts.

master2

Post by master2 »

Very true Nettle. Sherlock is not even that old and he already has hip dysplasia and has heart murmur. Plus lots of skin issues.

Besides health do you agree that GSD are to challenging for a newbie?