Vets vote on the worst first time dogs!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Vets vote on the worst first time dogs!

Post by Nettle »

Depends what they already know. All breeds present some challenges - just different ones depending on the breed/type.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
master2

Post by master2 »

Nettle wrote:Depends what they already know. All breeds present some challenges - just different ones depending on the breed/type.

So would you say that if there knowledgeable about the breed and have read about dog training and behaviour then they could be OK with a GSD?

And if there not knowledgeable and don't know anything about the breed would you not recommend the GSD?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:If we are being pedantic (my default mode :lol: ) lurchers are a cross of one or more running dogs i.e. sighthound breeds, and one or more working dogs, while longdogs are crosses between two or more sighthounds. But in real life, the terms are interchangable.
Yep, the 'dictionary definition' doesn't change the nature of the dog, of course. To me, almost all lurchers are sighthounds through and through in all physical and mental respects, and in terms of what they are bred to do.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
master2

Post by master2 »

I agree JudyN

Lurchers to me are sighthounds regardless :P
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

JudyN wrote:
Nettle wrote:If we are being pedantic (my default mode :lol: ) lurchers are a cross of one or more running dogs i.e. sighthound breeds, and one or more working dogs, while longdogs are crosses between two or more sighthounds. But in real life, the terms are interchangable.
Yep, the 'dictionary definition' doesn't change the nature of the dog, of course. To me, almost all lurchers are sighthounds through and through in all physical and mental respects, and in terms of what they are bred to do.

Yes indeed. Curiously, the KC brackets Rhodesian Ridgebacks with 'sighthounds' and I would not agree with that. But then the Dalmatian - the nearest native dog we have to the RR - is probably the last descendant of the old Talbot hound, and I believe they are in "Utility". It's a two-pots-of-coffee discussion.

Master2 in my opinion (which doesn't make it right :wink: ) potential GSD owners should already have some experience of dog owning and of the breed, or have some very experienced help available.

master2

Post by master2 »

Nettle wrote:
Master2 in my opinion (which doesn't make it right :wink: ) potential GSD owners should already have some experience of dog owning and of the breed, or have some very experienced help available.
After owning a gundog and then a GSD I can now understand why people say Goldie's \ labs ect are eaiser than a GSD.

Do you agree with the Golden being at number 1 as the best dog for newbies?

And why do you think people would be better with experience before getting a GSD yet they never get told that with a Goldie? In other words why experience with a GSD but not a Goldie for example why are Goldie's better fitted for first time owners?

I was surprised the Rough collie was on there.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Goldies are gundogs and GSDs are flock guards. So each has a completely different attitude.

master2

Post by master2 »

So is it the Goldie's attitude that makes him better fitted to newbies?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Briefly, because I need to rush, get it wrong with a GSD (or get the wrong GSD) and you could end up with a dog who bites you, and every stranger who gets too near. Get it wrong with a Goldie and you'll have a PITA who jumps up on old people and sticks his nose into everyone's groin.

This is a HUGE generalisation, I know.

Also, actual experience does count. I would be much better at preventing puppy biting and resource guarding if we ever got another pup (OH says we won't :wink: ) because dealing with them became second nature. I've also learnt to be a lot calmer - this takes practice!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
master2

Post by master2 »

Thank you very much JudyN that makes so much sense. Watson my Italian sniffs ground I'm lucky no one has said anything bad yet and I'm working on this most people just laugh when he does it :oops: .

So really things can go worse with either breed but the way it goes bad it would be worser with a GSD. Groin sniffing and jumping up I would think is eaiser to train and deal with then a dog who bites. I'm lucky Sherlock was already trained when my auntie passed, I a
already know myself that I would never own a GSD again , Sherlock is one of those dogs whose one in a million and I don't think I would find another GSD as easy as him.
Fudgeandcoco

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

JudyN wrote:Briefly, because I need to rush, get it wrong with a GSD (or get the wrong GSD) and you could end up with a dog who bites you, and every stranger who gets too near.

This is why my grandmother when she use to breed GSD would never let a newbie have one of her pups as GSD had a bad rep back then and she vetted her owners very carefully she always recommend a collie to those owners who would have been responsible but who she felt needed more experience before owning a gsd as she said that rough collies were easier than gsd they have there problems to but compared to the GSD , RC are eaiser and are still have some qualtie like the gsd like RC are not overly freindy with people but are not aggressive at all like how labs are not aggressive unless there is a reason to be. Were like JudyN said that gsd can bite and my grandmother said the same that they can very eaisly turn aggressive because they have a tendancy to become aggressive because of there gurding past. My grandmother now owns to rough collies.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

I don't really agree with Cockers being on the list and advised to be kept on the lead at all times, lest they run off chasing game. It's something to be aware of and trained for, but I see way too many fat spaniels plodding along with owners, who need the exercise and stimulation I think free running provides.

I think there's likely a difference between show and working lines as well. I don't think they'd be a horrible choice for a first time owner, as long as they did their research. But then any first time owner, of any kind of pet, should do their research. It frustrates me when they don't.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I would suspect also that a group of vets would have different criteria from, say, a group of behaviour trainers, on what dogs are suitable. Vets tend to see sick animals that are stressed, and sometimes don't give due credit for what those same breeds are when not ill.

Cockers are great, but the energy levels!!! People should only get cockers if they are prepared to exercise them properly every single day.