Hi

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

randy1953m

Hi

Post by randy1953m »

Thanks for allow me to join.
I really don't know where to begin. I had my Collie for almost 12 years he's really my whole life.
During the last year I have seen him go from a very healthy full of energy dog to now it's hard for him to get up. He lays down all the time. We still go for our walks everyday and at times he has burst of energy but I feel like I am slowly losing him. It breaks my heart.
The Vet just say he's getting older. He's always been a panter but now he pants a lot more.

I'm at a total loss of what to do. I feel so helpless. To look at him he doesn't look old at all still has that beautiful puppy face but his hind quarters are so week and it is hard for him to simply get up once he lies down.
He doesn't seem to be in any pain . He doesn't whimper or anything . I just wish there was something I could do for him. I massage him a lot and that seems to help some..
I have always prayed that God lets me go when he goes because I really don't think I can live without him. We are so very close.
He understands everything I say and do..

Any suggestions on how I can make him more comfortable.
Thanks
Randy and Whiskey
master2

Re: Hi

Post by master2 »

Hi and welcome.

Firstly has he been diagnosed with hip dysplasia or elbow dysplasia by any chance. If not it's worth finding out if he does. My GSD Sherlock has just been diagnosed with HD and the vet said it was early days so an operation would help his condition from going worser.

Second has the vet done blood tests and just a normal check up sometimes is not enough. My friends dog was very weak when walking and did not seem to be full of life anymore so she requested blood work to be done and they found out the dogs immune system was not working right once they found the cause the dog was back to it old self ( this was a 16yr old Scottish terrier)

I hope this helps and others will be along with good advice soon.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Has your vet run a full panel of tests? It sounds quite like a heart problem, but one can't diagnose if not a vet or in any case over the internet. You need a professional to really check your dog out. Then treatment options can be discussed. It's your decision what is done and what isn't, so you don't have to decide on the spot unless one option is head and shoulders above the rest. Discuss painkillers: dogs are very stoic about pain, so not whimpering doesn't mean there isn't any.

Is your dog overweight? A couple of pounds extra makes a huge difference.

Massage is good for them, so well done.

Let us know how you get on.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Hi there, and welcome! :D

My dog is twelve, but she does not pant unless it is a warm day and we have been out walking. So definitely talk to your vet to rule out a weak heart. (Is heartworms a possibility?)

The other stuff though: My girl also lays around a lot, and has a hard time getting up. We do have hard flooring, but we have put some rugs down in some of her favorite laying spots to not only cushion her joints, but to help her get up. A lot of times we simply give her a manual assist, putting our hands underneath her and raising her up while she gets her legs steady. Her back legs are quite weak, and she struggles to get up the porch steps (the only way in and out of the house). We got her a ramp to give her an alternative way of getting up the porch, but she doesn't like it much. We are still working with her. :wink:

I had her at the vet's because her back legs tremble/spasm so much I was certain she must be in pain. We got her on some pain medication (Tramadol) for a bit, but then it seemed to not be effective after awhile and also seemed to make her back end weaker, so we've discontinued that. We do have her on some herbs for joint support, and those seem to help her quite a bit. If you are in the U.S. and are interested in what herbs they are or where I get them, PM me and I will be happy to tell you.

I did have some blood work done on my girl recently, and the vet was astounded at how "beautiful" the results were, and said she is in "remarkable health" for a dog her age. She still loves her walks, and still smiles a lot, and still has that "joy de vive" (spelling). Bottom line is, she *is* getting older, we all are, and there is nothing any of us can do to stop that process. So I've resigned myself to simply enjoy every single moment we have left together, whether it is one more year, or five. And of course, we are collecting memories along the way to hold on to for "after." :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
randy1953m

Post by randy1953m »

Thanks everyone
The problem is I am not a rich person. I am on a very limited SS check in low income housing.
everytime I bring my dog to the Vet it like $100. It may not seem like much but that is almost half of what we use to live on for the entire month.
If money was not a problem he would have all those tests done.
So I feel really guilty about all of this and a bad father and it hurts.

The last time he was at the Vets the Vet said he is just getting older and has some arthritis and maybe a bit overweight but he did want to do a whole panel of blood test and I simply could not afford it.
It's also impossible to find a Vet here that will take anykind of payments they want all the money upfront. It really sucks here in the US.
Last time I went without a phone and eating much just so I could pay the Vet bill and that was only $100.

I pray it's not his heart or anything like that and he dies and I know that I could have done something that would honestly kill me..

anyhow thanks not sure what I was looking for in sharing here just wanted to try and do something
Randy and Whiskey
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Okay, one thing you can do that will not cost money is get his weight down. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Don't feel guilty - you are not a bad owner because you can't afford vet bills. You can only do what you can do, and if you can't afford diagnostic tests it's not a case of 'I could have done something'. Your no. 1 priority, in my opinion, is to ensure that the rest of her life is reasonably pain free. Better she should go earlier, than suffer for a long time because something could have been done if only you had the money.

Having said that, I've found a website giving a list of organisations in the US that can help with vet bills: https://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/ ... #gsc.tab=0 Maybe there's something there that could help?

When it's her time to go, you will survive without her. If you do really struggle, there are pet bereavement organisations that can support you. Along with forums like this one of course - many people here have had to say goodbye to their dogs.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
randy1953m

Post by randy1953m »

Thanks ans his weight is now down here's a couple of fairly recents pics of my love..
https://gyazo.com/afb013b8e5b2b9dbaa375384043fa35e
https://gyazo.com/0c253d6e78e1afd93bd31b1dc93680b7
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

He's beautiful!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh, what a lovely coat he has! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.